2012/13 season review DVD

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Must be a short review.We started off not that great...then got a bit better...then it all went mega shite.Rafa came in and it all went a bit mental for a while..then a bit less shite..and ended up a less shite note with 4th place and trophy..happy ending lol

Must be a short review.We started off not that great...then got a bit better...then it all went mega shite.Rafa came in and it all went a bit mental for a while..then a bit less shite..and ended up a less shite note with 4th place and trophy..happy ending lol

2 hours 20 mins long.

Hy carefree88, thank you for sharing your impressions, could you please tell me about how the games are presented? Is it just goals or do they also show some highlights (woodwork, chances created, goal celebrations etc.) from each game as well? Stuff like Frank's shot at the crossbar in the final vs Benfica, Mata's freekick away at West Ham etc. Is that included? Thanks in advance, much appreciated.

Hy carefree88, thank you for sharing your impressions, could you please tell me about how the games are presented? Is it just goals or do they also show some highlights (woodwork, chances created, goal celebrations etc.) from each game as well? Stuff like Frank's shot at the crossbar in the final vs Benfica, Mata's freekick away at West Ham etc. Is that included? Thanks in advance, much appreciated.

key games have a little more most are just goals and games we lost are just basic lol

My review on Amazon:

They say you shouldn't judge a book - or a DVD, in this case - by it's cover. But when a football club as big as Chelsea FC releases a "season review" with a dodgy cover, it is a bit embarrassing.

Look very closely at the picture of Petr Cech in the top-right-hand-corner. It might look like the top of his picture has been faded-out, but the reality is this cover is a Microsoft Paint job. Someone's cut off half of poor Petr's head, and, without any remorse, simply clicked the "fill" option and added a block of black paint in the hope no-one would notice.

A pretty laughable attempt that certainly points the way that this release is heading in.

"Bare-bones" - a word I've used to describe the last two major media releases from Chelsea Football Club.

Sadly, it is a word that will again be utilised in the description of the club's latest season review attempt.

My major gripes with the reviews from last season - Chelsea FC - Champions of Europe 2012 [DVD] and Chelsea FC - Double Champions! Season Review 2011/12 [DVD] - included the incredibly limited content, the poor visual quality, and the poor quality of the commentary (in terms of Chelsea TV's own Mickey-Mouse coverage as opposed to professional ITV/BBC/Sky Sports/ESPN commentary.

One of these aspects has been (partially) covered - the commentary of matches is now mixed; the majority of Premier League games sees official commentary lifted from official coverage of the matches, but most European games continue with Chelsea TV's coverage. It is a step in the right direction, at least - but the best thing here is that with a variety of commentators, listening to the same old voices rattle on all the while doesn't become such a repetitive chore.

My gripe about quality isn't such a massive one, but having watched live match coverage, plus Match of the Day and other highlights shows, all in HD for the last five years or so, isn't it about time these season reviews were recorded and delivered to the same standard? Live sport is probably the best exemplar in the difference between standard- and high-definition viewing. Again, sadly, we are left pondering as to which pixel the ball is! Okay, it isn't that bad, but the difference in clarity IS visible.

Finally comes my major concern. Yet again we've been "done" in terms of there being NO special features whatsoever. No post-season interviews or Goal of the Season reels. Not even a nod to Frank Lampard becoming the club's top goalscorer - you'd perhaps have thought that his 203 goals might have been put on as a half-hour-long bonus featurette? No chance. That cash-cow will inevitably be released when Frank eventually retires, or moves on.

So, once more, we are left with this "bare-bones" product. Yes, we want all the goals from all the games, but a bit of behind-the-scenes footage wouldn't hurt! What about those times when we've had full matches (such as the 2-1 win over Liverpool at the end of the 02/03 campaign, the famous Champions League win at Highbury in 2004, the 2007 FA Cup Final...) all in FULL as bonus features? The times we've seen behind-the-scenes footage from the training ground, and even pre- and post-match interviews? Well, there aren't many of those here at all.

Buy this if you HAVE to or, if you're like me, simply want to add it to your collection. But if you're looking for something that commemorates the wonderful achievements of an historic Europa League win (AND finishing in the Champions League spaces at the expense of Tottenham YET AGAIN), and then Frank Lampard's 203 goals, you're better off looking for better-quality highlights on YouTube.

This is not a "season review". Going by the Trades Descriptions Act of 1968, a "review" should include some actual reviewing, right? This is a grandiose goals reel.

Overall - 3/5 - the intermittent professional commentary just about salvages this DVD. It is a case of being a shade either side of cash-cow mediocrity - I'll leave it up to you whether it's closer to horse-sh*t or brilliance.

The truth is these reviews are getting worse and worse. A very underwhelming effort.

Where'd you get the pic?

Anyway I'm not even surprised anymore. These DVDs are terrible. I bought a couple but stopped because I just can't stand the Chelsea TV commentary. It is absolutely awful and cringe-worthy. Jason Cundy is THE WORST. Can't believe they didn't use the Martin Tyler / Gary Neville Sky commentary for last season's CL final.

Not only Jason Cundy actually, Ben Andrews is horrible as well. And I can't remember who it was but the guy that did the commentary with Ben Andrews for the PL Man United away game sounded atrocious! I remembered someone called into Chelsea TV before and complained about the commentary, though it was done constructively. A shame it wasn't a plain old rant. :lol:

Think if they want to have better quality commentary, they should use Gary Taphouse and Pat Nevin. So much better than the others.

I've emailed the club on numerous occasions regarding the release of season reviews in HD, no response. As long as they ignore me, I'll ignore there shitty DVDs. TBH, my DVD player hasn't been used in years.

and could somebody please explain to me why A Didier Drogba DVD hasn't been released? ffs, the guy is probably the best Chelsea striker in history and he can't get so much as a Fucking tribute DVD.