Anelka Happy With Role

Nicolas Anelka has insisted that he is more concerned with Chelsea achieving success than with personal glory.

The Frenchman moved to Stamford Bridge from Bolton in January but has found it difficult to establish himself as a regular in the side.

There is fierce competition for places in attack and Avram Grant often prefers to play with just one out-and-out striker.

However, Anelka is happy with his role as he believes there will be plenty of opportunities over the course of a season for him to prove his worth.

Anelka is looking to contribute in any way he can, whether that be as a starter or off the bench, as Chelsea continue to challenge for the Premier League title and the UEFA Champions League.

Anelka_Nicolas_729885.jpg

"If you play at Chelsea, then the important thing is to win things as a team," Anelka said in the Daily Express

"Now we are in the final moments of the season and we have to win. So, if I can do anything to help the team to win, I will do it.

"Sometimes you play, sometimes you don't. That's part of the game. You have to accept it as a group and realise the important thing is the team win something.

"There are so many games in a season at Chelsea that everyone will have the chance to contribute.

"I don't think about being a starter. Of course I want to play, but I want to help the team win things in the first place. That is the main thing I think about."

Source: Sky Sports

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a feeling Anelkas was a move with a view to the long term after the short term cover we needed!

I can see us playing 4-4-2 as our main formation next season, the 4-3-3 being used this season so as not to disrupt the team too much during a period of change.

Would love to see Drogba and Anelka line up together more... it takes a very special sort of player to play the lone striker role - Anelka and Sheva are not those types of strikers...

I hope, as we all do, Drogba stays and partnered with Anelka next season -can see a Gudjohnsen/Hasselbaink goal fest developing. Though it could be Anelka alongside a new striker for 2008-2009, or or in the middle with wingers.

I hope, as we all do, Drogba stays and partnered with Anelka next season -can see a Gudjohnsen/Hasselbaink goal fest developing. Though it could be Anelka alongside a new striker for 2008-2009, or or in the middle with wingers.

Anelka as a lone striker doesn't seem to work. He drops deep or wide far too often leaving a massive gap down the middle and no focus point for attacks to build. We all do certainly hope that Drogs can stay and form a great partnership with Anelka. Drogba is more happy with a strike partner and will score more goals that way and Anelka will score more goals too. Should be something tried more often.

Although should Drogba leave (and even if he doesn't) Franco Di Santo is looking a top player and one who CAN work the lone striker role or be the target man in a front 2 for Anelka to feed off.

Very much doubt that Franco will be ready for the first team next season mate.

Yes, he looks very good in the reserves and has alot of quality, but he'll go out on loan next year I'm sure.

If Didier goes, in my opinion we'll sign another 'big name' striker such as David Villa, so Anelka will have the 'backup' role again, unless the two play together.

Very much doubt that Franco will be ready for the first team next season mate.

Yes, he looks very good in the reserves and has alot of quality, but he'll go out on loan next year I'm sure.

If Didier goes, in my opinion we'll sign another 'big name' striker such as David Villa, so Anelka will have the 'backup' role again, unless the two play together.

Di Santo wasn't brought in to spend any time on loan. He was brought in to spend the rest of this season training with the first team and playing in the reserves to acclimatise and then will be a first team squad member for next season - and he is showing is ready to do that.

There have been a lot of hints that providing Grant is staying that the formation will be changing next season, and that is more than likely to involve playing 2 upfront. I agree if Drogba leaves then another big name will come in and it is possible that one could come anyway as it is likely that Pizarro and Sheva could move on in the summer...

Lets be honest, he's showing great attitude here. He wants to play, but knows ultimately he's here to help the team win and if that means coming off the bench, so be it. I do think he is our long term solution though, certainly that was the plan.

Lets be honest, he's showing great attitude here. He wants to play, but knows ultimately he's here to help the team win and if that means coming off the bench, so be it. I do think he is our long term solution though, certainly that was the plan.

Yup pretty much agree with that. He has shown great attitude so far here and seems happy at the moment. Could be because he knows long term that he will part of a strike partnership.

Certainly wouldn't grumble too much to have our strikers for next season as Drogba, Anelka, Di Santo + one other....

do you all thing that Sheva will go?? you don't have anymore credit for him or wha??

and yeah Anelka is a player for future for next 3 or 4 years...he is true great!

Yeah i do think he will go, i don't think it would benefit him or the club for him to stay any longer! Unfortunately it just hasn't worked out for one reason or another...