Physical & Mental health

Leif

HAHA i wish. I have been lifting for a couple of years. all beit not a main focus on improving weight, but ive a good technique, but now i am trying to gain a few kilos. only on day 2 though at the moment. Ill show you my 2 week plan at the moment:

Friday: Back + Biceps + Abs

Saturday (TODAY!): Chest + Shoulders + Triceps

Sunday: Football/rest

Monday: Legs

Tuesday: back, biceps and abs

Wednesday: chest shoulders and triceps

Thursday: Football / rest

you've already seen my chest/shoulder/tri routine.

my back/bis/abs routine (i did it yesterday) was:

warm up on rowing machine

seated lat pull down 1x8 narrow grip 77kg 2x8 wide grip 70kg

3x10 50kg... not sure what its called, its a machine you sit on it, you reach out infront grab the bars, and you pull it back, like a reverse pec fly. so your arms stay straight....

2x10 30kg dumbell bent over row

3x10 25kgs shrugs

2x10 15kg hammer curls 1x10 eccentric biceps.

abs: ive described my routine a while ago. but im destroyed today from it! think i did added weight straight sit ups. the n8 left curl 8 right curl and 8 straight curl weighted sit ups. then 5 bouncing sit ups. then 5 where im at abotu 45 degrees, then a throw a medicine behind my head and try nad resist the pull. then i did 10 controlled pikes.

Football on a sunday is an hour (someitmes a bit more) of 5 - a side. Football on thursday is a 40 minute 6 a side match. then normally hang aorund for another hour for a casual kick around.

My leg workout at the moment is not what a wnat it as, but i usally do my legs after a football session so im not able to do things like a specific hamstring thing as im usually spent. at the moment i do:

Quad kicks: 3x10 90-100kg

hip adductors 3 x 10 110kg (MAXED OUT! resistance machine with about 4 turns in it... piss easy)

3x10 drop squat jump with 15kg dumbell in each hand.

I plan on doing that routine for about 2 weeks before i mix it up and add some more weights as well as adding a few sessions in so im working ou twice a day as well as adding a few fat burn sessions in. after 2 weeks ill be looking to add in some dead lifts to help with my back and hamstrings.

any tips or advice would be appreciated as i havent gone to add muscle for a while.

I might add, the days ill be working out twice a day will either be something like a morning session of a big weights work out. then in the evening itl be a fat burn thing/badminton with the missus or another weight session on a smaller muscle group such as the fore arms or jsut a straight out lower back and ab workout. it wont be anything hardcore.

That reverse back pec machine is hell of a good thing, so good that first time I almost pulled my back haha. :) I'm thinking of trying to do deadlifts, starting slowly to get used to it, today i messed around with it. It would give strong forearms, traps, arms, but most of all lower back and hamstrings. Very thorough routine, don't over do it mate. I think I can't suggest anything you already wouldn't know so keep up the good work.

When the snow melts here - ironically it is spring but it's -5 degrees outside atm with as low as -20 at nighttime- I'm going to start playing footie also. Couldn't be arsed playing futsal or indoors football as im no Ronaldinho nor do I like to sweat indoors.

• Replies 682
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ordered new supplements. Only use creatine and whey protein. I'll link addresses just in case someone is interested (it's in Estonian anyway but aminoacids and all that can still be understood)

http://fitshop.fitness.ee/kreatiinid/0/readmore/41/Creatine

http://www.sportshop.ee/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=111&category_id=6&vmcchk=1&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=2

First time I order protein there. Usually the place where I used to order offered tastes too but they all in reality tasted like flour, don't mind that either. Took banana this time :D Bet it's just flour flavour again haha

Are you trying to get big?

HAHA i wish. I have been lifting for a couple of years. all beit not a main focus on improving weight, but ive a good technique, but now i am trying to gain a few kilos. only on day 2 though at the moment. Ill show you my 2 week plan at the moment:

Friday: Back + Biceps + Abs

Saturday (TODAY!): Chest + Shoulders + Triceps

Sunday: Football/rest

Monday: Legs

Tuesday: back, biceps and abs

Wednesday: chest shoulders and triceps

Thursday: Football / rest

you've already seen my chest/shoulder/tri routine.

my back/bis/abs routine (i did it yesterday) was:

warm up on rowing machine

seated lat pull down 1x8 narrow grip 77kg 2x8 wide grip 70kg

3x10 50kg... not sure what its called, its a machine you sit on it, you reach out infront grab the bars, and you pull it back, like a reverse pec fly. so your arms stay straight....

2x10 30kg dumbell bent over row

3x10 25kgs shrugs

2x10 15kg hammer curls 1x10 eccentric biceps.

abs: ive described my routine a while ago. but im destroyed today from it! think i did added weight straight sit ups. the n8 left curl 8 right curl and 8 straight curl weighted sit ups. then 5 bouncing sit ups. then 5 where im at abotu 45 degrees, then a throw a medicine behind my head and try nad resist the pull. then i did 10 controlled pikes.

Football on a sunday is an hour (someitmes a bit more) of 5 - a side. Football on thursday is a 40 minute 6 a side match. then normally hang aorund for another hour for a casual kick around.

My leg workout at the moment is not what a wnat it as, but i usally do my legs after a football session so im not able to do things like a specific hamstring thing as im usually spent. at the moment i do:

Quad kicks: 3x10 90-100kg

hip adductors 3 x 10 110kg (MAXED OUT! resistance machine with about 4 turns in it... piss easy)

3x10 drop squat jump with 15kg dumbell in each hand.

I plan on doing that routine for about 2 weeks before i mix it up and add some more weights as well as adding a few sessions in so im working ou twice a day as well as adding a few fat burn sessions in. after 2 weeks ill be looking to add in some dead lifts to help with my back and hamstrings.

any tips or advice would be appreciated as i havent gone to add muscle for a while.

I might add, the days ill be working out twice a day will either be something like a morning session of a big weights work out. then in the evening itl be a fat burn thing/badminton with the missus or another weight session on a smaller muscle group such as the fore arms or jsut a straight out lower back and ab workout. it wont be anything hardcore.

LOL, I thought only Koreans played badminton....

day 2 completed. feeling heavy. everything hurts. even my legs are still a bit sore from thursday football, should be ok by tomorrow when i have 5 a side though. If i put in the effort i put in over the past 2 days in to every session and i keep it up im confident of seeing some pretty good results. I'll be weighing my self every 2 weeks so i'll be sure to add it on to here. gonna use this place as my little diary so sorry about that :P

my only concern is my diet. last time i did this i just ate so much cheese! im going to be buying low fat cheese though this time around so that wont get me! another concern is that i now have to go to work and lift stuff around for a few hours... good cool down session though i'd say ;)

LOL, I thought only Koreans played badminton....

HAHA! to be honest, its a lot of old people that play it where i go. and asians. But i really like badminton. my gf wanted to get in to it so we started palying, and she was awful, she'd leave in tears sometimes. but now shes half decent and she has me all over the court and i love it so i enjoy playing badminton. its a good game. we play every now and then together but im hoping to get her to play once a week with me.

Today I'm 150lbs on the scales for the first time, well, ever. :dance: Tempted to squeeze a poo out so I can see 149lbs :ph34r:

I'm definitely noticing the less amount of body fat. Last night I felt my spine for the first time since I was around 4. I can now get my fingers around my opposite wrist. And I can feel weird bones I've never felt before. heh.

day 2 completed. feeling heavy. everything hurts. even my legs are still a bit sore from thursday football, should be ok by tomorrow when i have 5 a side though. If i put in the effort i put in over the past 2 days in to every session and i keep it up im confident of seeing some pretty good results. I'll be weighing my self every 2 weeks so i'll be sure to add it on to here. gonna use this place as my little diary so sorry about that :P

my only concern is my diet. last time i did this i just ate so much cheese! im going to be buying low fat cheese though this time around so that wont get me! another concern is that i now have to go to work and lift stuff around for a few hours... good cool down session though i'd say ;)

LOL.. I never knew anyone that into cheese...

Regarding legs (lower body), all I do know a days is jump roping (variations) and when I finished losing all my weight, squats and lunges (variations). I try to refrain from using weights outside of my body for legs...

Hey guys, I got a problem with my squat and deadlift. Everytime I do it, no matter how much I decrease the weight, my lower back hurts as hell the following day. I've gone so far to only squat&lift 50kgs which is less than a sixth of the weight I do on the leg press. During the exercise there is no problem, I just feel it the next day. Btw. the doctors in Germany are rather useless.

Hey guys, I got a problem with my squat and deadlift. Everytime I do it, no matter how much I decrease the weight, my lower back hurts as hell the following day. I've gone so far to only squat&lift 50kgs which is less than a sixth of the weight I do on the leg press. During the exercise there is no problem, I just feel it the next day. Btw. the doctors in Germany are rather useless.

It's prob your form....

Leg presses are easy. I max out at like 360 -400 as a freshman. However, I never did deadlifts or squat with a bar....(I do jumping squats, static squadt and lunges now with 5lb dumb bells! lol)

It's prob your form....

Leg presses are easy. I max out at like 360 -400 as a freshman. However, I never did deadlifts or squat with a bar....(I do jumping squats, static squadt and lunges now with 5lb dumb bells! lol)

It's not. If i only use 50kg I can fully concentrate on my form but it still causes pain.

Btw as you live in the US u probably mean 400lbs which is only 180kg. (I recommend to use the metric system in general) The leg press at my gym only goes to 325kg (which is 718lbs). After this got too easy for me I started with 100kgs (squats. For my legs it was no problem, but my form was not correct (knees extending over toes), so I decreased it to 50kg, so I could concentrate on my form but it still does not feel good.

What kind of a pain (try describe it and the locations you feel it)?

How often fo you perform your dead lifts and squats?

whats your sets and reps and rest between sets?

how many days rest do you have between?

how long have you had the pain?

Is it any worse on one side than the other?

Do you do many sit ups.core work outs?

Do you have any exsisting back/posture problems? - even ones that arent serious, for example, i have a fairly large arch in my lower back, so it makes my belly stick out a bit. not a clinical thing, just my anatomy, but it can cause me some problems, mainly during long distance running.

you answer those as clear as possible and i should be able to give you a pretty good response. though i can tell you now, it will probably be: "i dunno lol... see a physio"

Starting to go to the gym and stuff... I once dislocated my hip though. Do you guys think that will be a problem when I start squatting with more weight?

depends on lots of things, dislocations can do lots of damage to surround ligaments, but there are times where there is no damage done. depends how long ago it was done, and if it gives you any discomfort when you do other types of activities.

how did you manage to dislocate your hip anyway? thats crazy!

only one way to find out if it will play up though... squat with more weight. just gradually increase it. if you do feel any discomfort or pain etc then stop.

depends on lots of things, dislocations can do lots of damage to surround ligaments, but there are times where there is no damage done. depends how long ago it was done, and if it gives you any discomfort when you do other types of activities.

how did you manage to dislocate your hip anyway? thats crazy!

only one way to find out if it will play up though... squat with more weight. just gradually increase it. if you do feel any discomfort or pain etc then stop.

Yeah I know.. One of the most painful things that can happen according to the doctor.

I was thinking the same, only way to find out is to try it. I don't max since im still perfecting my form so time will tell :)

Lower back pains/injuries are not something you can take lightly. If you've got messed up back and rotator cuff, you might aswell leave the gym - that's how serious these injuries are. From what you've told me:

a ) If you've got pain the following day then do more warm-up for your lower back and stretch it gently after lifting.

b ) Try wearing the lifting belt, I'm sure many gyms have that available. You might look like a douche wearing a belt and squatting 50kg, but you know why and what you're doing. You can go gradually heavier and heavier.

c ) Perfect your form - is your back straight, glutes back when you push up. YouTube videos are great for that if you can filter out crap from the useful bits.

d ) If you have been squatting with a free weight barbell, try -if you can- squatting in a squatting rack. Basically same thing but gives you more time to focus on form rather than range emotion.

e ) Start doing abdominal & lower back exercises every other day. Having a strong core means your body is more stable. It will give your spine a protecting armor illustratively speaking. It's comparable with your eyes - if the optical function in the eye is weakening, normally you would start to see things blurry. Though, the muscles in your eyes will overcompensate and you will see normally for some time.

f ) Maybe it's your anatomy? Past medical history? If nothing works out, you shouldn't feel disappointed. There are a lot of exercises to work your lower legs, lower back. You just have to be creative and perform the movements that are comfortable for you. After time, when you've overcome this imbalance - maybe you can start doing them squats and deadlifts again without complications!

g ) If your pain comes after a legworkout in which you do both squats and deadlifts - try to do only one of them and see which of them is the culprit behind your woes?

h ) Squatting and leg presses are two different things. Squats work overall leg muscles but focus on the back side of it with (m. biceps femoris, m.semitendinosus, m.semimembranosus) while leg presses work mainly your from leg muscles (m.quadriceps femoris). Maybe there is some imbalance in your leg muscles - your front leg is too fucking huge but back side is lagging behind. It might result in your having an awkward range emotion and balance while squatting, putting more tension on your lower back than you should. Body would naturally start using more of the muscles that are stronger and that will exacerbate your problem. Take for example if you've got the triceps of gods. That doesn't mean you can curl more, because in the end of the day, bicep will have to do the work.

Also dumps asked a good question - is the pain worse in any of the sides?

Best of luck

It's not. If i only use 50kg I can fully concentrate on my form but it still causes pain.

Btw as you live in the US u probably mean 400lbs which is only 180kg. (I recommend to use the metric system in general) The leg press at my gym only goes to 325kg (which is 718lbs). After this got too easy for me I started with 100kgs (squats. For my legs it was no problem, but my form was not correct (knees extending over toes), so I decreased it to 50kg, so I could concentrate on my form but it still does not feel good.

Nice. When I was a freshman in high school, some of the other football players were doing more than me., especially the lineman.

also, i have back pains as well, but most of it is due to me sitting down with bad posture and doing an imbalance.workout.

What kind of a pain (try describe it and the locations you feel it)?

How often fo you perform your dead lifts and squats?

whats your sets and reps and rest between sets?

how many days rest do you have between?

how long have you had the pain?

Is it any worse on one side than the other?

Do you do many sit ups.core work outs?

Do you have any exsisting back/posture problems? - even ones that arent serious, for example, i have a fairly large arch in my lower back, so it makes my belly stick out a bit. not a clinical thing, just my anatomy, but it can cause me some problems, mainly during long distance running.

you answer those as clear as possible and i should be able to give you a pretty good response. though i can tell you now, it will probably be: "i dunno lol... see a physio"

the higher the weight the greater the pain, usually when i bend my back.

each once a week

i do a split of two workouts each every 3 days, and the end each is either deadlift or squat

i have the pain always i do the exercises

it is symetrical

i do a 5min ab at the end of every workout

Yes i also got a little arch in my back but it has never been a problem

and physios in germany are regularly overpaid twaddler and my smartphone usually can do a better diagnosis.