Rafa Blah Blah Gerrard England

Laylabelle

Liverpool manager Rafa Benitez insists Steven Gerrard is the man to lead England.

The Anfield skipper was handed the armband for his country in the friendly win over Switzerland last month, Fabio Capello's first game at the helm.

But with John Terry, regular skipper under Steve McClaren, back in the squad for the friendly against France in Paris on Wednesday, there are reports Gerrard could be relieved of the responsibility.

Capello insists he will not name a permanent captain until the World Cup qualification campaign begins in September, but losing the role after just one game would be a major blow to Gerrard's hopes.

Aston Villa's Gareth Barry has also emerged as a surprise contender, but Benitez insists there is only one player for the job.

Right man

Benitez told the Liverpool Daily Post: "Steven has captained England before and he has shown he can do the job well so I am surprised that there is talk that he might not be captain in England's next game.

"It is not up to me to make the decision and Capello is lucky because he has some very good candidates for captain but if he was to ask me I would tell him that Steven is the right man.

"Terry and Barry are both good players and good captains for their clubs so they are good options for England.

"But I see Steven every day, in matches and in training, so I know what he brings to Liverpool and that is why I think he would be the right man."

................................................................................

Ok fair dos he's captains for the club but still!!!Half the games in which oh wonderous Stevie G has been captain in we've lost!!He aint inspired at all

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Terry gets the nod as Capello's captain

The Guardian

John Terry will captain England against France at the Stade de France tomorrow night as he attempts to convince Fabio Capello that he should retain the position full-time when the World Cup qualifying campaign begins in the autumn.

Capello informed his squad that Terry would be handed the armband for the friendly in Paris during training at Arsenal's London Colney centre yesterday. The centre-half, who led the side under the previous manager, Steve McClaren, missed the new head coach's debut victory over Switzerland last month through injury but this fixture will effectively offer him the chance to prove he should remain as captain long-term.

The Guardian

haha Rafa!