Volunteering abroad

Tomo

I have just got back from a taster weekend in Leeds to see if im ready to go abroad for 10 weeks in either Tanzania, Borneo or Costa Rica.

Im going to be told in a few days whether i have done enough to get a place on the expedition next year for 10 weeks. Waiting is horrible,

The weekend i have just been on in itself was incredible, never did i think walking nine miles and have no phone signal (especially on a Chelsea match) will be so fun. I thought i would be screwing but in all honesty i never even thought about the result until i got back and watched it back like it was live, not a nice experience.

Having said that i don't even think finding out the score would have ruined my weekend like it usually does.

I meet loads of sound new people all across the country (from Middles-borough to Essex) and i miss being up there already, could have done it for a week.

I done something similar in 2010 which was working in a Bulgarian orphanage for 2 weeks and that was great, god knows how good 10 weeks away will be, it's not that im worried about, its coming back will be horrible.

Not going to lie there will be tough times, missing home, food may be quite honestly crap but the pro's do outweigh the cons by atleast 10:1.

If you are not doing much at the moment and are looking for something to do which will look great i strongly reccomend this. Will be hard but you can look back in a few years thinking wow.

http://www.raleighin...CFeTLtAodnhEAXQ

EDIT: you have to be under 25 to go as a young person but over 25 you could maybe go as an adult volunteer.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My ex-gf did a work/study program in Switzerland for a year before she left for school. Taking time to experience foreign cultures -- no matter the context whether work of volunteer -- is invaluable to someone who has the opportunity to do so. She learned French, travelled around Europe and gained knowledge inaccessible anywhere else.

Even if its just 10 weeks, I would highly recommend taking the leap and doing it. Costa Rica is beautiful, btw

Good Luck and Have fun! I am glad to see it isn't a religious-based organization. It is nice to see an organization that is there just to offer humanitarian aid. :) Not to offend anyone but I believe that if you are helping someone you should not insist that your religion be foisted on them.