Abramovich Holds Another Crisis Meeting

From This is London;

Roman Abramovich continued his inquest into Chelsea's Carling Cup Final shambles on Tuesday by holding the third in a series of crisis meetings.

The owner, who witnessed the bust-up between captain John Terry and assistant coach Henk Ten Cate at a Stamford Bridge training session in the build-up to Sunday's showpiece, called the warring pair together for clear-the-air talks.

096Chelsea_468x407.jpg Point made: Henk Ten Cate (centre) talks to Roman Abramovich as assistant manager Steve Clarke looks on

Manager Avram Grant and chief executive Peter Kenyon also had to attend the meeting. This followed his post mortem on Monday into the 2-1 defeat by Tottenham, where the club's board, coaching staff and senior players were asked to explain the debacle. Defeat had prompted Abramovich to enter the dressing room straight after the final whistle.

The embarrassing flare-up between Terry and Ten Cate had also been seen by astonished members of the public who were on a stadium tour.

Tuesday's meeting was the third time Abramovich has flexed his muscles in the wake of Chelsea's humiliation at Wembley. The billionaire was so dismayed at his side's capitulation that he was already in the dressing room to speak to the players before many had even left the pitch.

Monday's inquest was at Chelsea's Surrey training camp and manager Grant was left under no illusions that he must deliver either the Premier League title, Champions League or FA Cup if he is to survive beyond the summer.

095avram_468x596.jpg Lonely figure: Avram Grant has had to explain his team's Wembley failure

Abramovich's decision to take a much morehands-on approach will serve only to increase the pressure on Grant, chosen by the Russian to succeed double title-winning boss Jose Mourinho.

As if to emphasise that Abramovich intends to keep far closer tabs on team matters, he even stayed behind at Chelsea's training ground to watch those players not involved on Sunday, including Ashley Cole, Andriy Shevchenko and Claudio Pizarro, take on an Arsenal youth team in a practice match.

Those who played at Wembley took part in a light session yesterday having been given Monday off. Despite questions over Grant's tactics against Tottenham, there is also a feeling inside Chelsea that too many players simply did not perform on Sunday and that not all the blame should be shouldered by the manager.

All concerned have the chance to make amends when they take on West Ham at Upton Park on Saturday, no doubt under the increasingly watchful eye of Abramovich.

095chelsea_468x327.jpg Talking again: Terry, Lampard and Ten Cate

His greater involvement even includes Chelsea's pre-season plans, with a lucrative trip to Russia now on the agenda.

Sportsmail can reveal that Chelsea are considering a proposal to fly to Moscow on their way back from their Far East tour to play in a four-team tournament on the weekend of August 2 and 3.

After posting losses of £75million last year, Chelsea are aiming to join the global gravy train by becoming the first English team to play in Russia as part of their pre-season programme.

It means Chelsea's players could spend nearly three weeks on the road as part of their pre-season preparation. A final decision is unlikely to be taken before the end of this campaign.

CSKA Moscow are thought to be one of the teams involved in the project which will be run along the same lines as the prestigious Amsterdam Tournament. PSV Eindhoven have also been approached.

PSV have strong links with Chelsea after Brazilian defender Alex was 'parked' with the Dutch club for three years before he finally obtained a work permit to play in England.

Chelsea have yet to finalise plans for their pre-season tour and they are thought to be waiting on the increasingly unlikely prospect of playing in the Community Shield on Sunday, August 10 before they make a final decision.

They have been investigating the possibility of a pre-season tour to China for the last 18 months, but club sponsor Samsung would prefer them to play three games in South Korea. The club's spin doctor once brilliantly claimed that 'threequarters of the world is already blue — now for the other quarter' but perhaps their ambitions should remain a little closer to home after the Carling Cup failure.

Grant hit more trouble on Tuesday when he was warned he is in danger of missing out on the pro - licence he needs to continue as a Premier League manager after pulling out of the latest coaching class in Tel Aviv on Monday following the Wembley defeat because he was called on to explain his side's shortcomings to Abramovich.

Israel's head of coaching Amnon Raz accepted his explanation but made it clear Grant would jeopardise his chances of finishing the course if he was absent again.

Raz said: 'He called me to say he had a busy schedule and could not attend and I imagine he probably had a good enough reason. But he will have to be careful because if he misses many more, it will be the end for him. He has to be here for at least 70 per cent of the classes, or he doesn't get his licence.'

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am glad they are back on talking terms. I hope Roman realises his mistake!!

I said before..its the case of "TOO MANY COOKS SPOILING THE BROTH"....We need one good manager who does everything, plans the training session, manages the team, gives the talks, etc etc. I hope Roman does something.

However he may be, I am glad we have an owner like Roman, who wants to bring glory to the club. Unlike those Yanks of Liverpool.....One mistake from Roman and I hope he has realised it....Time to make amends.

Ten Cate is an explosive character and he has put a few noses out of place since he has come to Chelsea. To be honest, he seems like a coach who knows what he is doing compared to Grant who is about as useful as a chocolate fireplace.

Well its certainly progress but I'd like to see things move a little faster. Grant's shortcomings were always going to be exposed, and it was always going to be a feeding frenzy for the press when it did finally happen, Which I certainly dont blame them for. You put an arse in a job such as Chelsea, who has done fuck all to earn that right, It's always going to go tits up - and the press will eagerly help it along, On this occasion - fair play to them :smiliecap1:

Without taking the piss too much, when you think back to all the posts on here when this cunt was appointed, Its fucking staggering just how many people were willing to give him a chance. I found it amazing back then, and, looking back, it still stuns me when I think about it. To me, watching THAT press conference I just thought to myself "I am NOT having this cunt". Utterly negative I know but that was my initial reaction, And I have seen absolutely fuck all, nothing, since then to make me change my mind.

The bust up with Ten Cate is interesting, He is seen as a top coach apparently and clearly doesnt worry about upsetting the players, which sometimes is a good thing. Majority of players nowadays are fucking primadonna's in any case and should be getting far more grief. In any case, We'll probably have to wait until the inevitable books come out before we know any more about this.

I know I've said it countless times, But I think if any of the other three had taken Grant on there would have been a huge outcry amongst their support and rightly so, So why was there so much pathetic apathy from our fans? Sign of the times I think.

If he'd been given the job in similar circumstance's in the 80's he wouldnt have lasted five mins, He have been chased out of the fucking ground. Make no mistake, the directors wouldnt have had the gall to appoint such a wanker. For all his sins, Chairman Ken would have fucked him straight out the door. But nowadays we have to deal with the pathetic faceless Kenyon and Buck, Along with Roman who thinks he's cool by sitting in the shed after Jose was binned.

Changed days indeed :thumbsdown:

Top post there young man. When he arrived as ''Director of Football'' I remember posting that he's going to gently shove Mourinho out, like the proverbial cuckoos nest, sidling up to Abramovich with his pretend guffawing chuminess. Cunt of the Highest Order.

I always remember 'Arrys first appraisal of him at Pompey -basically ''who the fuck is he? Whats he doing here? He just hangs about''. This view of him later changed , obviously after Gaydemarks strict instructions.

Until hes out, any 'crisis meeting' or 'making friends again' will be papering over the cracks.

Top post there young man. When he arrived as ''Director of Football'' I remember posting that he's going to gently shove Mourinho out, like the proverbial cuckoos nest, sidling up to Abramovich with his pretend guffawing chuminess. Cunt of the Highest Order.

I always remember 'Arrys first appraisal of him at Pompey -basically ''who the fuck is he? Whats he doing here? He just hangs about''. This view of him later changed , obviously after Gaydemarks strict instructions.

Until hes out, any 'crisis meeting' or 'making friends again' will be papering over the cracks.

I would like to think that the clubs "communications" dept does the very occasional surf of the net to get a wee feed back on the fans opinions on matters such as these. Dont get me wrong, I know that we mean absolutely fuck all in the grand scale of things but it would be kinda nice to think that maybe someone at the club is taking an interest eh?

No, I know, absofuckinglutely no chance.

I would like to think that they would need to get a fucking certified plasterer in to paper over the cracks we currently have

I would like to think that the clubs "communications" dept does the very occasional surf of the net to get a wee feed back on the fans opinions on matters such as these. Dont get me wrong, I know that we mean absolutely fuck all in the grand scale of things but it would be kinda nice to think that maybe someone at the club is taking an interest eh?

No, I know, absofuckinglutely no chance.

I would like to think that they would need to get a fucking certified plasterer in to paper over the cracks we currently have

Would say you're right, and they do trawl the forums to get the general zeitgeist of Chelsea fans. Guaranteed at the moment I would guess, from what I've seen of other Chelsea forums who are all fairly anti-Grunt , they're arses are tweaking, hence the 'crisis meeting'.

Its not a deciding factor, obviously that'll be any silverware accrued or not come May, but they need to keep abreast of fans thoughts, and this bad publicity does Kenyons Publicity steamroller no good at all.

Would say you're right, and they do trawl the forums to get the general zeitgeist of Chelsea fans. Guaranteed at the moment I would guess, from what I've seen of other Chelsea forums who are all fairly anti-Grunt , they're arses are tweaking, hence the 'crisis meeting'.

Its not a deciding factor, obviously that'll be any silverware accrued or not come May, but they need to keep abreast of fans thoughts, and this bad publicity does Kenyons Publicity steamroller no good at all.

Can you imagine the response from the press and fans alike if there's another meek submission to the happy hammers?

Cant see us getting a name in before the end of the season, But i'd certainly have no qualms about leaving Stevie and Ten Crates in the "Double" chair until the seasons end

It is difficult because we have no idea how the most important man in this feels. Roman is the one who has to make this choice in the end. Does he believe that Grant is the right man in the long run? Will winning a cup be enough to decide to keep him on?

You can pretty much gurantee that the club know how the fans feel, the sentiment is carried through all the Chelsea forums and even being quoted in the S*and today!

It is difficult because we have no idea how the most important man in this feels. Roman is the one who has to make this choice in the end. Does he believe that Grant is the right man in the long run?

I genuinely believe the reason Grant is there runs deeper than many of us are aware. Theres a lot of Israeli/Russian politics and favours afoot.

Who, or what team in their right mind would appoint Grant otherwise ? -let alone a World Class Club.

From the Daily Express:

Roman Abramovich will back under-fire boss Avram Grant with a £100 million spending spree this summer – if the Israeli can keep his rocking ship afloat and ensure Champions League football next season.

Abramovich staged a very public show of support for Grant yesterday as he and chief

executive Peter Kenyon were at Chelsea’s Surrey training ground standing side by side with their Israeli coach as the players returned to work after their shattering

Carling Cup final defeat against Tottenham.

But it has been made crystal clear to Grant that he is expected to win something this season – or at the very least finish in the top four of the Premier League.

If he can do that, then Abramovich will back him with a massive spending spree to enable Grant to bring in his own players and build his own team.

Top of the shopping list are AC Milan’s £25million Brazilian star Kaka and £15m Valencia striker David Villa. Abramovich is also prepared to let Didier Drogba, who has publicly voiced his unhappiness, and Frank Lampard leave if they do not want to stay at the club.

Grant, whose stock has taken a battering inside and outside the club after Sunday’s dismal display, cancelled a trip to Israel on Monday to complete his UEFA Pro Licence coaching badge in order to have a clear-the-air meeting with his players, several of whom were unhappy at being left out of the final.

These next few weeks are now crucial.

Grant cannot allow his team to slip further back in the title race behind leaders Arsenal and Manchester United, so starting at West Ham on Saturday he needs wins – and fast.

If Grant can pull his squad together and win something, his job is safe.

If he fails, he will be shunted upstairs in the summer, probably back to his old role as director of football, with a big-name manager brought in.

Thats just what we feared. With money and Grant learning the job 'as he goes along', there will doubtless be successes, just as the results since hes been there have been fairly good, and we will still be a 'top four' member

But it will only be a shadow of what could be achieved with the right management

It all depends where the money is thrown though. Will it be for past it stars such as Ronaldinho who would guarantee shirt sales etc. or will it be sensible stars.

Judging from what we have heard recently it would be rising stars of the likes of Modric and Benzema ect..

Completely questionable if that is the right thing to do though! I would rather give the money to someone else to spend, i don't think Grant really knows what he needs....

If he keeps that Yid cunt in the chair and gives him that kind of money then I utterly give up, I dont think the club I know would ever recover from that. Would be a huge big slap in the face for the fans and would just show the club to be the fucking shallow plastic entity that it has already started to become.

Would also show Roman to be a complete prick. If he does that I would really rather he took his money and fucked right off, I'm sure there would be no shortage of takers. Face it, we are simply a play thing now

In terms of remaining Chelsea manager i don't think Grant has a hope in hell.Us fans have been unsure of Grant since he became manager,and nothing has changed.Sunday's debarcle has only proven what the players think,and it could get worse,especially if we lose to West Ham on Saturday and our secong leg against Olimpiacos finishes in a score draw,not forgetting the trip to Barnsley the following Saturday.

This is one massive week coming up for us where only the strong will survive.

Let's just hope the players have put Sunday behind them regardless of what they think of the gormless one,who's job is surely hanging by the thinest of threads.

If he keeps that Yid cunt in the chair and gives him that kind of money then I utterly give up, I dont think the club I know would ever recover from that. Would be a huge big slap in the face for the fans and would just show the club to be the fucking shallow plastic entity that it has already started to become.

Would also show Roman to be a complete prick. If he does that I would really rather he took his money and fucked right off, I'm sure there would be no shortage of takers. Face it, we are simply a play thing now

Was talking about that on another forum. I agree if he's not gonna admit he made the mother of all cock ups putting Grant in charge then, for me, thats a sign he really doesnt give a shit less and he should call it a day in the football world. I mean, he's paid off our debts and put a few quid in the bank, so as long as there's an investor out there somewhere, would it really be such a bad thing?

Not that Im not grateful for the money he's put in, but no-ones money can buy the sort of success he craves with decisions like that. Employing someone like Mourinho was a great business decision, because he started to see a decent return for his money. But I guess all that silverware got a bit boring and Jose's insistance on having a personality must've been tiresome. So in comes.........a geriatric, dribbling nobody. But hang on, the clueless, head scratching retard look must surely be a facade, because we were told he was the man to "take Chelsea forward". Isn't that what the very loyal and devoted Peter 'I love Utd' Kenyon told us? And of course good old Brucie backed him up. Both squirming with excitement.......well, I'll assume they were excited, they certainly looked a little uncomfortable in their seats at the time.

And why wouldnt they be excited indeed? I mean we were trying something completely new to the PL, we were going to take the PL by storm with a brand new style of manager. Groundbreaking indeed. Just imagine how exciting the season ahead was going to be - a manager without even a clue, never mind the right qualifications was going to show the likes of Fergie and Wenger what sexy football was really about.

And what about the players? How excited they must be as well. Not only do they get a great new 'leader' to listen to JT's team talks but their very own sparring partner for training sessions as well. Stroke of genius on the 'manager's' part introducing wrestling as part of the big game preparations. No wonder they needed a rest on Sunday after all that fun eh? Even the cleaner's happy these days.....no extra dusting required this year.

Don't know what we're all moaning about really.