The Rebuilding Project - Analysis of Our Squad Part 3: Midfield

The first area of my analysis which does IMO need serious questions asked of.

Current Squad

4-5 years ago we arguably had the best midfield in the world - Makelele, Essien, Ballack and Lampard. At the time Lampard and Essien were in their prime. Unfortunately they still make up what is probably considered part of our 'strongest' midfield selection.

Frank Lampard is a legend, I don't think any Chelsea fan will argue against that, and he may well go down in time as our greatest ever player. But he is not the player he was a couple of seasons ago, and never will be again. He can however still do a job for the club - against Napoli he showed he can play a more disciplined deeper role and use his experience. I could see him being the club's version of Scholes or Giggs, but he cannot remain a guaranteed first choice for us to evolve as a club. If he is prepared to become a squad player within his later years, and accept wages symbolising his squad status then I would love to keep him and allow him to retire at the club.

Essien, similarly has been immense over the years for Chelsea. Personally he has been my favourite player since he joined the club. However injuries have left him a shadow of that player I admired so much. He no longer has the legs to drive in the midfield, and although perhaps a better defensive mind, I would strongly argue that he is neither as mobile or as good on the ball as Mikel or Romeu as a defensive midfielder. As much as it pains me to say it, I don't envisage a role moving forward for Essien in the squad.

One of the reasons we perhaps have not felt the loss of Essien now as opposed to a couple of years ago is the emergence and form of Ramires. Although a different style of player, more nimble and quick as opposed to Essien's power, his box to box running and midfield drive has made him one of the first names on the teamsheet. His importance is particularly noticeable in the final half hour of games when other players around him tire he seems to just get stronger!

Mikel has had plenty of opportunities to cement a first team spot down at the club and has shown real good form at times, but has never kept a consistent level. However he is in a position where at 24/25, he is still young enough to be considered for the future, but holds a lot of experience on the big stage. I personally would prefer to see Romeu be given the opportunity to establish himself as first choice in the defensive midfield role, because I think he has massive potential. I believe in the games that Romeu played this season he was one of our standout performers, and is certainly one of our better younger players. The biggest problem I think in the case of Romeu is the buy back clause we agreed with Barcelona. Are we perhaps holding him back because we want to keep him for the long term? If that is the case then I would rather see him playing and we'll cross that road if Barca come calling, because I think the lad offers the team something.

Raul Meireles has at times I feel had a lot of unfair criticism on these boards. I actually think he's a good player and offers a much more creative outlet than any of our other central midfielders. However he is lightweight at times and can allow games to bypass him. I think aswell that AVB's preference for playing him has created a negative vibe amongst fans for him and I can see him moving on in the summer now that AVB has left. Although I can see a future for him, I do also see him as a dispensable figure in the midfield, particularly if we are looking to buy a creative central midifelder.

The Future

Josh McEachran is obviously the stand out player in this regard. The worry is that we have been expecting him to breakthrough for the last two years. I personally think his role would be more suited further forward, and if we play a 4-2-3-1 next season I would like to see him as understudy to Mata in the central offensive 3, as a result hopefully getting 15-20 games next season and a few starts against lesser teams to give Mata a rest.

Romeu at just 20 would also fall into this category and could IMO hold down a place in our side as the defensive midfielder for years to come.

Possible Arrivals

Such would depend perhaps on formation which will be key. I like Di Matteo using the 4-2-3-1 formation to get Mata into the centre where he should be playing. I have campaigned for this formation for a long time and with a summer buying the right players to accommodate this system we could get back on track next season. If this formation is to be kept I would love to see the midfield two being Romeu and Ramires. I feel Ramires running from deep will add an extra man in the attack and drive the team forward, whilst Romeu will add the disciplined defensive cover. I can understand a creative player in a deeper position being used á la Modric, but I really believe in the technical ability of Romeu to offer a link between defence and Mata. However I would like to see a more creative minded midfielder to bolster the squad but not Modric for £40m+. It's about time the club started bringing in their own players and making them stars again rather than spending vast sums on the already finished article.

Possible Departures

I think Essien should move on in the summer. The club needs to be rebuilt this summer, and may need substantial money to spend on players to do this. If we can offset such outlay on some player sales then we should do to continue moving towards FFP. Essien, given his reputation and still only 29, would still command a decent transfer fee across Europe (around £15m).

Mikel and Meireles are I think in a position where they are both dispensable and would recoup decent money, but could still offer a role within the club.

Lampard I would expect to stay with a year still left on his contract, and the question of whether he stays or moves may be more a question for next summer as opposed to this one.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another interesting read. I agree with the Mikel, Essien, Meireles departure.

Josh is not ready for next season, if he can't get in Swansea he ain't ready for us. So will need to buy another midfield there.

Romeu we don't know if he wants to leave to Barcelona, so let's hold on him for now. But if he stays then def a top player for our mid.

Now Kakuta, can't forget about him. He has been doing great in French, can easily come into our team like Sturridge.

After that besides the one player to buy, another one will not be bad. Buy 2 and sell 3.

I don't think we have to let go off Mikel, Essien & Meireles. You still need some depth. I would only part ways with Essien. Mikel I will keep for sure. Lamps & Meireles can both provide good cover as well. Especially Meireles, he might have had some bad games, but he's a creative player and can play in the mid and can give cover to Mata as well.

I think 1 world class creative minded midfielder is a must for us, priority number 1. We need some talent that can help link the back 4 to the forwards on a consistent basis.

Another interesting read. I agree with the Mikel, Essien, Meireles departure.

Josh is not ready for next season, if he can't get in Swansea he ain't ready for us. So will need to buy another midfield there.

Romeu we don't know if he wants to leave to Barcelona, so let's hold on him for now. But if he stays then def a top player for our mid.

Now Kakuta, can't forget about him. He has been doing great in French, can easily come into our team like Sturridge.

After that besides the one player to buy, another one will not be bad. Buy 2 and sell 3.

Cheers mate, next article is on our wingers/attacking midifielders area so Kakuta will be included within that. What I was trying to focus on in this article was the midfield 2 or 3.

I don't think we have to let go off Mikel, Essien & Meireles. You still need some depth. I would only part ways with Essien. Mikel I will keep for sure. Lamps & Meireles can both provide good cover as well. Especially Meireles, he might have had some bad games, but he's a creative player and can play in the mid and can give cover to Mata as well.

I think 1 world class creative minded midfielder is a must for us, priority number 1. We need some talent that can help link the back 4 to the forwards on a consistent basis.

Agreed, I wouldn't expect us to sell all three, but I could definately see Essien leaving, and depending on who we buy, possibly another. I would think currently that out of Mikel, Essien and Meireles that Mikel is the most likely to stay at the club.

Romeu has no buyback clause, it's first refusal.

Depends if you believe us or Barcelona because they seem to believe they have a buy back clause over the next two summers.

I can understand Ramires can be sometimes a bit erratic with his passing or first touch, but he's probably second only to Yaya Toure for box to box midfielders in the premiership. And whereas Toure tends to tire late in games, Ramires just keeps on running!

If we are going to go with a 4-2-3-1, I don't think we'll need to spend so much money on getting a highly creative midfielder to play behind Mata. I think Ramires can somewhat close that gap with his high work rate and Mikel can probably take on an anchor/playmaker role and provide the creativity we need in that area.

Excellent analysis, but I don't think we can get 15 mill for Essien. He has just recovered from major injuries and everybody can see that he has lost his athleticism.

With 4-2-3-1, we have young core in josh+romeu in midfield but are they good enough at this point to not only give protection to the back 4 but also to support our front 4. I also don't think ramires is a dm, he is more suited playing on the wing as our defensive wing like park ji sung or a cm when we play 4-3-3.

With josh back, next season in mid we have : Lamp,Essien,Mikel,Romeu,Josh,Ramires (I expect meireles to be sold)

That's six players competing for 2 spots in mid, unless we decide to sell one/two of them which I don't think will happen, we are not going to buy another mid.

Romeu has no buyback clause, it's first refusal.

Really? I thought he had, just like Bojan.

About Lampard, same old story. if he's willing to take a role like Giggs at UTD, it's ok, otherwise he should leave. But until the board hires a new manager, the midfield will remain a big question mark!

Final draft for me in this midfield.

After thinking about departures and those who should come in I thought long and hard.

So this is what I came up with:

Mikel, Meireles, and Essien must go this summer!

In their places we need an improve Mikel.

Mikel was suppose to be a Xavi Alonso type. One who can do the dirty work in the mid but also make killer passes.

Needless to say Mikel has disappointed after many years! So sell Mikel to Anzhi.

In his place I want Javi Martinez. A great DM that can do the dirty work in the mid, and has great spark of creativity for long range passing, something Mikel lacks. And to add to Javi great quality, he can also play a CB, thus a very handy player to have.

For Essien, after many injuries I don't think he is coming back, and we miss his powerhouse performance in the mid.

So who can pick up the bill that we lose in Essien?

Tiote! Men got skills, stamina, tackling, vision and much more. All traits that we miss from the Bison.

In time Tiote can become one of our midfield generals.

For Meireles....avg at best, and a C plan buy after Modric failed bid.

So Meireles goes and bring Kakuta from France. Has been awesome and deserves a spot in our team.

Lampard I will keep cause he still got something left to offer. While keeping Lampard, Josh can interchange with Lampard so he gets game.

Thus the new midfield will look like this:

Ramires/Javi Martinez - Tiote/Romeu

Mata/Lampard/Kakuta/Josh

That midfield will give all the fire power we need for quite some time.

Now where is your striker winger section? Got to put my final draft for that one! :D

Final draft for me in this midfield.

After thinking about departures and those who should come in I thought long and hard.

So this is what I came up with:

Mikel, Meireles, and Essien must go this summer!

In their places we need an improve Mikel.

Mikel was suppose to be a Xavi Alonso type. One who can do the dirty work in the mid but also make killer passes.

Needless to say Mikel has disappointed after many years! So sell Mikel to Anzhi.

In his place I want Javi Martinez. A great DM that can do the dirty work in the mid, and has great spark of creativity for long range passing, something Mikel lacks. And to add to Javi great quality, he can also play a CB, thus a very handy player to have.

For Essien, after many injuries I don't think he is coming back, and we miss his powerhouse performance in the mid.

So who can pick up the bill that we lose in Essien?

Tiote! Men got skills, stamina, tackling, vision and much more. All traits that we miss from the Bison.

In time Tiote can become one of our midfield generals.

For Meireles....avg at best, and a C plan buy after Modric failed bid.

So Meireles goes and bring Kakuta from France. Has been awesome and deserves a spot in our team.

Lampard I will keep cause he still got something left to offer. While keeping Lampard, Josh can interchange with Lampard so he gets game.

Thus the new midfield will look like this:

Ramires/Javi Martinez - Tiote/Romeu

Mata/Lampard/Kakuta/Josh

That midfield will give all the fire power we need for quite some time.

Now where is your striker winger section? Got to put my final draft for that one! :D

I will try to create the striker and winger parts to my analysis tomorrow if possible, very busy at work at the moment though :rant:

I wouldn't personally sell Mikel having thought about it. Firstly I think his form has seen an upturn recently and secondly I think given his useful blend of being a good age yet possessing a lot of experience playing at the highest level he could be an asset should the club as expected make a number of changes in the summer. I also think he can give more to the club long term than Essien can, yet Essien is likely to recoup the bigger transfer fee.

My personal preference to buy is Cabaye. Javi Martinez is a good player, but Cabaye is already accustomed to the Premier League and I believe would be available for somewhere between £12-15m whereas Martinez is likely to cost £20-25m.

If we are going to start playing 2 in midfield to allow Mata to continue playing in the centre next season (and IMO we should) then I don't see any other main signings here. If we were to sell Essien and perhaps Meireles, our midfield would still comprise of Cabaye, Mikel, Lampard and Ramires. Perhaps just to bulk up the squad we could add a fifth choice centre midfielder but in that case it would have to be someone young and not too expensive who can develop and play the odd games during the season.

I don't see McEachran playing here if we play 2 in midfield. I see him as understudy for Mata's position as the central attacking midfielder.

I will try to create the striker and winger parts to my analysis tomorrow if possible, very busy at work at the moment though :rant:

I wouldn't personally sell Mikel having thought about it. Firstly I think his form has seen an upturn recently and secondly I think given his useful blend of being a good age yet possessing a lot of experience playing at the highest level he could be an asset should the club as expected make a number of changes in the summer. I also think he can give more to the club long term than Essien can, yet Essien is likely to recoup the bigger transfer fee.

My personal preference to buy is Cabaye. Javi Martinez is a good player, but Cabaye is already accustomed to the Premier League and I believe would be available for somewhere between £12-15m whereas Martinez is likely to cost £20-25m.

If we are going to start playing 2 in midfield to allow Mata to continue playing in the centre next season (and IMO we should) then I don't see any other main signings here. If we were to sell Essien and perhaps Meireles, our midfield would still comprise of Cabaye, Mikel, Lampard and Ramires. Perhaps just to bulk up the squad we could add a fifth choice centre midfielder but in that case it would have to be someone young and not too expensive who can develop and play the odd games during the season.

I don't see McEachran playing here if we play 2 in midfield. I see him as understudy for Mata's position as the central attacking midfielder.

Sorry but I don't agree.

Mikel has been like that for ages. He always promises every season and fails to deliver.

I don't think he can improve much, plus i really dislike his slow nature. He is soooo slow in the midfield.

We need more pace, faster passing and faster thinking people.

It is why I want Javi Martinez.

Sure Javi will cost a lot but if we are able to sell Mikel to Anzhi or such we will recover some of the money we spend on Javi.

Cabye is a great choice, but if we can get Javi I will not pass that up. Plus as I stated he is like Ivan that can also play as CB, so that's the price of 2!

And selling Essien we will need a replacement cause we will play with 2 pivots. So in a demanding season is best to have a cover for each role. 2 pivots then we need 4!

Ramires, Javi, Romeu and Tiote are still my choice.

Last agree with Josh, he still needs a couple of more seasons to be ready. Likewise Piazon, which I am not sure what role he plays.....

Sorry but I don't agree.

Mikel has been like that for ages. He always promises every season and fails to deliver.

I don't think he can improve much, plus i really dislike his slow nature. He is soooo slow in the midfield.

We need more pace, faster passing and faster thinking people.

It is why I want Javi Martinez.

Sure Javi will cost a lot but if we are able to sell Mikel to Anzhi or such we will recover some of the money we spend on Javi.

Cabye is a great choice, but if we can get Javi I will not pass that up. Plus as I stated he is like Ivan that can also play as CB, so that's the price of 2!

And selling Essien we will need a replacement cause we will play with 2 pivots. So in a demanding season is best to have a cover for each role. 2 pivots then we need 4!

Ramires, Javi, Romeu and Tiote are still my choice.

Last agree with Josh, he still needs a couple of more seasons to be ready. Likewise Piazon, which I am not sure what role he plays.....

In certain games, Mikel's slowing down of the pace of the game in the midfield is an asset. Benfica is a good example of this, and other away Champions League ties. In hostile atmosphere's he's good at taking the sting out of games. I agree at home against lesser teams his style can be a hindrance, but I think the club is better equiped if possessing a number of midfielders with different attributes to each other.

In certain games, Mikel's slowing down of the pace of the game in the midfield is an asset. Benfica is a good example of this, and other away Champions League ties. In hostile atmosphere's he's good at taking the sting out of games. I agree at home against lesser teams his style can be a hindrance, but I think the club is better equiped if possessing a number of midfielders with different attributes to each other.

Amen, I used to hate Mikel's playing style but I've come around to the fact that he can be very useful at times. He should stay as a squad player and like you said it can be a lifesaver having players with different styles and attributes in order to adapt to the situation, Essien has lost his drive and cannot power forward anymore so unfortunately he is the one that should be going

I still can't get this and it sounds interesting but let me ask you, would Mikel be enough to slow down and take the sting out of a game against Barcelona???

I still can't get this and it sounds interesting but let me ask you, would Mikel be enough to slow down and take the sting out of a game against Barcelona???

It's debatable whether anyone in the world is good enough to take the sting out of Barcelona's game, but I'm pretty certain he'll start against them.

What I'm trying to say is that against mid and lower teams Chelsea will more often than not dominate possession and territory both home and away. In games like this Mikel's style of play can sometimes not suit because he's perhaps not getting the ball out of the midfield and forward quick enough.

However, against the top teams, possession may be much more equal or even in the opposition's favour (particularly away) and this is where Mikel can be much more important. Calm in possession in the midfield, he can slow a game down and build back confidence and possession into our play when we're under pressure and the opposition are 'on top'.