Mikel vs Blackburn: Vertical Passes from the "Horizontal Man"

CareFreeChronic

Mikel is more composed than any of our other central midfielders, and only Josh and Mata are calmer and more relaxed than Mikel is when in possession of the ball. That's what makes him so quietly effective; it is an attribute that is underrated in many players. Each great team has the workhorse that does the simple things so well - that can be Glen Whelan at Stoke or it can be Sergio 'Diving Cunt' Busquets at Barcelona. Makelele wasn't appreciated until he left, and people only began to appreciate him because of who he was; a European Cup-winning superstar.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mikel is more composed than any of our other central midfielders, and only Josh and Mata are calmer and more relaxed than Mikel is when in possession of the ball. That's what makes him so quietly effective; it is an attribute that is underrated in many players. Each great team has the workhorse that does the simple things so well - that can be Glen Whelan at Stoke or it can be Sergio 'Diving Cunt' Busquets at Barcelona. Makelele wasn't appreciated until he left, and people only began to appreciate him because of who he was; a European Cup-winning superstar.

Agreed.

Yet I think there's a time for the Mikel-type player & the Romeu one. Liverpool, a big game, I think Mikel is vital. His composure and accurate passing can be the key into that packed Liverpool midfield, and with their 5-man defence his long-range passing will come into full-effect.

Romeu is the type I'd say we play v. the likes of Everton & co. Where they defend to the death leaving the game in a dire grid-lock. Because Romeu gives a better attacking impulse than Mikel does. This is not to say I'm 'hating/bashing' on Mikel, simply pointing out where Romeu had an advantage.

Agreed.

Yet I think there's a time for the Mikel-type player & the Romeu one. Liverpool, a big game, I think Mikel is vital. His composure and accurate passing can be the key into that packed Liverpool midfield, and with their 5-man defence his long-range passing will come into full-effect.

Romeu is the type I'd say we play v. the likes of Everton & co. Where they defend to the death leaving the game in a dire grid-lock. Because Romeu gives a better attacking impulse than Mikel does. This is not to say I'm 'hating/bashing' on Mikel, simply pointing out where Romeu had an advantage.

I totally agree. Mikel handles pressure excellently and is one of the best in the PL at controlling the tempo of a match, which (along with experience of course) makes him valuable in big games)

Romeu on the other hand can operate at higher tempo than Mikel due to his great ability of quick passing making him ideal (theoretically since he has not been yet fully tested in the PL) for breaking defenses like swansea, Stoke...etc

I really like Mikel's playing style... I never compared him to Makelele, maybe that's the reason why I've never been someone who criticized him a lot. But I can't get it why we converted him into a DM although he was a very promising attacking midfielder with nice playmaker qualities. Just imagine how much celebrated he would be now if he would have been played as a AM all these years...