Another confused pressing, another goal conceded (Genk)

CareFreeChronic

In this post, I looked at how the Genk equalizer was scored and try to figure out what went wrong -- who's to be blamed for the goal. My initial thought was that Ramires was at fault for not tracking the run of the Genk player who crossed in the assist. But after watching the replays, I came to realize that Jose Bosingwa was the main culprit in this case.

http://carefreechronicles.blogspot.com/2011/11/pointing-fingers-another-confused.html

- Cheers!

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually think Cole should take his fair share of blame. He didn't react to Vossen's cut inside and he opted to run towards goal, probably in hope to block the shot. I think he should have reacted quicker and tried to press him. Cole was on the wrong side of Vossen in first place, Camus had no difficulty in picking out a low cross for him since nobody was in between them.

But let's look at the situation before the cross came in. Look at Torres... he made no effort to press the player who ran past him, just to let that player pass to De Bruyne with ease. Very effortless. Torres was really lazy in that situation, sums up his overall play. And I also feel that in such situations, where 2 players are about to start combining on the flank, you can't have such space left there... It's dangerous to be 2v2 on the flank. An extra man needed to be there covering... maybe Ivanovic (or Romeu). But where was our "winger" who should be helping out? It should have been Anelka, but Torres switched on the flank for a moment and you could see how he "defends". The whole team looked static in the Genk goal situation. Yes, Bosingwa was at fault among other players... but I feel Torres and Cole should have done better. Possibly Ivanovic also.

Have we actually got one defender in form though?, no because there finding it extremely difficult with this highline, the only one i was surprised in was Bosingwa, i thought he would love this type of defence, but he himself is getting exposed quite a lot, but if we of had a better midfield and wingers, Bosingwa might not get troubled as much as he does.

reading the article, the posts and watching the match i would defintely blame not one but the defense as such. cole, bosi and rambo all 3 will ve to take their blame. but i am also suprised to see how few games alex is playing given that 1)he is as good as iva in air and definitely better on the carpet, 2)he is miles safer than luiz.

as for bosi, we all know he is not as good in defense but gives that extra ounce to the attack so thats a gamble avb has taken and needs to rethink.

I actually think Cole should take his fair share of blame....

But let's look at the situation before the cross came in. Look at Torres... he made no effort to press the player who ran past him, just to let that player pass to De Bruyne with ease. Very effortless. ...

I agree with you about Torres. I have looked at the extended highlights and it is exactly as you have described. Kudos to you.

But I disagree with you about Cole. Sure, as I said in the post, maybe could have done better, but when things are happening at the breakneck speed in the box it is not easy to chase runners who can change direction quickly. If I do blame Cole, it wouldn't be much.

Overall, I agree with a lot of what you've said. Cheers!

PS: I've also added an Update to the post, shifting some, not all, of the blame over to Torres. Thanks for the insight.

will AVB ditch this high line defending? our defending in past season has not been THAT bad??

I don't think so. It is his signature tactic. It would be like Mourinho ditching 4-3-3. I'm not saying that's the right/wrong thing to do but I don't think he will abandon his philosophy.

Have we actually got one defender in form though?, no because there finding it extremely difficult with this highline, the only one i was surprised in was Bosingwa, i thought he would love this type of defence, but he himself is getting exposed quite a lot, but if we of had a better midfield and wingers, Bosingwa might not get troubled as much as he does.

Bosingwa is not a good defender we need to put iva rb and alex cb

Bosingwa is not a good defender we need to put iva rb and alex cb

His tackling isn't bad, it's his tactical defending what is bad. He was good the first few games, because AVB will like his wing backs, but now he has been pretty poor.

I don't think so. It is his signature tactic. It would be like Mourinho ditching 4-3-3. I'm not saying that's the right/wrong thing to do but I don't think he will abandon his philosophy.

I think so too. I think he will use this season to install his philosophy, even if it goes through its cons. Once the team gets used to it, it could be a very efficient tactic. At the moment we obviously aren't used to it. For it to work, the whole team needs to defend as a unit... That's where you need pressing game of the highest level, starting from the attackers... Pressing must start from our attack line to the midfield and eventually to the defence (hence the high line, to retain possession quickly and as high up the pitch as possible). I think it will work once the players get used to defending and pressing all over the field. It isn't as easy as it sounds, it's not just running at the player with the ball with the whole team mindlessly... It must be systematic and the communication and understanding between teammates must be flawless. It's not just the high line... it's necessary if we are to play AVB way eventually, it just doesn't happen in a few months. This season we have a limited squad with players who don't quite fit in this setup... Next season, once the team gels better with some new exciting players, I think we will witness a whole different style of play as opposed to what we are seeing now.

I think so too. I think he will use this season to install his philosophy, even if it goes through its cons. Once the team gets used to it, it could be a very efficient tactic. At the moment we obviously aren't used to it. For it to work, the whole team needs to defend as a unit... That's where you need pressing game of the highest level, starting from the attackers... Pressing must start from our attack line to the midfield and eventually to the defence (hence the high line, to retain possession quickly and as high up the pitch as possible). I think it will work once the players get used to defending and pressing all over the field. It isn't as easy as it sounds, it's not just running at the player with the ball with the whole team mindlessly... It must be systematic and the communication and understanding between teammates must be flawless. It's not just the high line... it's necessary if we are to play AVB way eventually, it just doesn't happen in a few months. This season we have a limited squad with players who don't quite fit in this setup... Next season, once the team gels better with some new exciting players, I think we will witness a whole different style of play as opposed to what we are seeing now.

Amen!

I think that AVB does not need to change his philosophy. I realize how high-line defending is vital to our new style of playing, but there are situations where we'd be defending more than attacking (example: 2-1 up against arsenal), and it is there that I think we need to change the way we defend. After all, nothing is absolute in football, even Mourinho changes his 4-3-3 every in certain situations (Inter vs Barcelona for example).