Frankly Terry-fic

BlueLion.

Avram Grant has given Blues fans a big boost ahead of Sunday's game. Frank Lampard could return to face Liverpool and John Terry is back in training.

'He trained today, trained yesterday, he's feeling better but we will decide about this tomorrow. I think he will be available for the weekend,' said Grant about Lampard who is returning from a thigh injury.

'For us every player is coming back so it is good news. Even JT started training today so it is good that the injured players are coming back,' he added, although he indicated that Didier Drogba, Salomon Kalou and Michael Essien are unlikely to return before tomorrow's Africa Nations third/fourth place play-off.

Liverpool have not enjoyed such positive injury news this week with Fernando Torres's hamstring injury but despite their depleted strike-force, Grant understands that Sunday's game will be no easy task. As he has not been part of Chelsea's recent up-and-down history with Liverpool, to the manager it is simply another game we have to win.

'Liverpool are a top club and it is never easy to play against them so I think it will be a difficult game, very difficult.

'When two clubs play together you always think of something from the past, but of course I don't have a problem with Liverpool. My only concern is that Chelsea succeed.'

With the Merseysiders currently finding themselves fifth in the table and 17 points from leaders Arsenal, after taking 43 points from 24 games, Grant feels that it will be a difficult task for them to climb their way to the top, although he understands you can't predict anything in football.

'I cannot say they are out [of the title race] because in football anything can happen, but it will be very hard for them.

'Whether we win or we draw [on Sunday], football is a strange game, sometimes you are very sure of yourself and you lose and sometimes you don't, so anything can happen.'

If the Blues win on Sunday then it will be four years since we last lost a league game at the Bridge. We have now achieved 75 unbeaten league games at home and have far surpassed Liverpool's previous record of 63 games, something that Grant is proud of.

'I think like any record, it is good that you have the record and most of the time it is very positive, but this record is so unusual that it is very good.'

Grant also took time to reflect on the current news topic that surrounds football. With the prospect of the Premier League going global, meaning each club will play an extra game each season; Grant feels it is a decision that will need plenty of thought before a verdict is made.

'It is an interesting idea; you know everybody likes the Premier League, including many places in the world.

'On the one hand I think it is the Premier League and they need to play in England but on the other hand, I think it is the Premier League and so many people around the world like it, so I think we need to think about this and not say yes or no just yet.

'I am a big fan of the NBA [uS basketball] and they also decided to play in Europe. There was a positive side and a not so positive side to this.

'One of them is the travelling but I cannot tell you more now because I don't have a clear answer about this at the moment,' added the Israeli.

Bookmakers Paddy Power have Chelsea at 4/5 favourites to win against Liverpool on Sunday.

Anyone like the inspired title?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I said before the game Lampard shouldnt get to start just because he's Frank Lampard and low and behold Grant didn't have the balls to start him on the bench. Really poor decision imo, Lampard was clearly far from fit and didnt help our cause at all. Detracted from Ballack's game as well I thought. Why is it that no-one can play alongside him anyway?