Daniel Sturridge surprised by his form this season

Badboy

Chelsea striker Daniel Sturridge has admitted that he is surprised by his recent form after he opened the scoring in his side's 3-1 defeat of Everton at Stamford Bridge.

The 22-year-old's strike was his fourth goal in four games for the Blues after he spent the latter part of last season on loan at Bolton Wanderers, and he believes that he is in the form of his life.

"In the first team it's the best I've ever played," Sturridge told ESPN. "In the youth team and things like that, I used to do this pretty regularly, but it comes as a surprise to me because I'm doing it in a professional game. I'm enjoying it and I'm glad that I'm taking it into the first team.

"I think we played a great team game today. The manager told us to move the ball quickly and to play one-touch football as much as possible, and I think we did that today. We played very well."

The win has moved Chelsea to within a point of second-placed Manchester United, but Sturridge said that he is pleased that much of the focus this season is on United and their local rivals Manchester City.

"I'm happy for everyone not to talk about us, so we can get on with what we're doing," he added. "It doesn't matter whether people talk or not, just as long as we can continue beating every team that's put in front of us. It doesn't matter what the opposition is, we want to win every game."

The London club next host Belgian side Genk in the Champions League on Wednesday.

Sportsmole

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

How Sturridge gets overlooked for England is beyond me, the only thing i can think of is Cappello must have a problem with him or Chelsea, i mean he picks Cleverly, Welbeck and Wilshere on the back off good loan spells but can't do the same for Sturridge, and as for Carroll and Zamora getting picked over him, best not go there.

Thrilled but not suprised at his rich vein of form this season.

He already has 4 goals in 4 starts (in the prem). Well on course to get at least 15 goals this season. Team performance wise he's getting better as well. If Torres can continue his form, the front three of Mata - Torres - Sturridge will be deadly.

The thing is Sturridge is a goal scorer but he also has better Skill/Dribble then other goal scorers like Bent and Defoe which lets him play in wide positions. He needs to work on his link up play that is clear but as a young goal scorer he is brilliant, he is also a lot better with his heading then what i thought.

All the top sides have golden young strikers in this generation. Man utd - Welbeck and Hernandez... Man city - Mario Balotelli and Sergio Aguero............ Liverpool - Andy Caroll and Suarez.................. Chelsea - Sturridge and maybe in a season or 2 Lukaku ! I think all these strikers will be near the forefront of the goal scoring charts not only this season but in future seasons.

The thing is Sturridge is a goal scorer but he also has better Skill/Dribble then other goal scorers like Bent and Defoe which lets him play in wide positions. He needs to work on his link up play that is clear but as a young goal scorer he is brilliant, he is also a lot better with his heading then what i thought.

True. That's why it's hard for Capello to select him.