Kurt Zouma

Mufassir08

They're both quite poor on the ball which instantly limits their potential IMO. It's not something you can really improve.

True, but he can learn to not let it limit him. John Terry was almost always the slowest player in the squad, for example; never stopped him from being the best CB in the world at a point in his career.

True, but he can learn to not let it limit him. John Terry was almost always the slowest player in the squad, for example; never stopped him from being the best CB in the world at a point in his career.

But JT's mostly played in a low block and with a fast partner (Carvalho, Cahill) so his lack of pace isn't often exposed. My fear with Zouma though is that when he is pressed by the opposition or in a slightly difficult position he will just concede possession because he can't do much with the ball. I noticed that somewhat against Maribor who are hardly great. He seems to have to put in a lot of effort to play even the simplest of passes, never mind when he's under pressure. Personally I'd prefer to see Jose developing a defender who has the physicality and good technical ability like Christensen.

But JT's mostly played in a low block and with a fast partner (Carvalho, Cahill) so his lack of pace isn't often exposed. My fear with Zouma though is that when he is pressed by the opposition or in a slightly difficult position he will just concede possession because he can't do much with the ball. I noticed that somewhat against Maribor who are hardly great. He seems to have to put in a lot of effort to play even the simplest of passes, never mind when he's under pressure. Personally I'd prefer to see Jose developing a defender who has the physicality and good technical ability like Christensen.

I noticed that too, he was trying to be very precise with his passes and it showed. He doesn't look natural when passing, it looks like he's making a big effort with relatively simple passes. He doesn't have to be a great passer, however, just good enough will do - especially if playing with a partner that can pass well. People seem to love Cahill and he isn't that good on the ball himself. I really hope it's something that can be worked on because Zouma's athletic ability is ridiculous and would be a huge asset in the Premier League. He's a project so we just have to see how it works.

And it looks like Zouma has been nominated for the Golden Boy award:

quzfyvT.jpg

He doesn't sound "happy" at all! :lol:

B0565s7CEAA0lfN.jpg

For the record, I don't like players pulling off things like this at all. Respect for opponents is part of being a professional. Plus, he should really be worrying more about his mistake that led to the equalizer than about who united will be playing.

PS: Could be a fake account though Didier tagged him in a picture on his account using this account name.

B0565s7CEAA0lfN.jpg

For the record, I don't like players pulling off things like this at all. Respect for opponents is part of being a professional. Plus, he should really be worrying more about his mistake that led to the equalizer than about who united will be playing.

He probably made this comment hoping to make up for his mistake in the fans' eyes.

B0565s7CEAA0lfN.jpg

I don't think that account's official.

Young and needs to learn from this.

The best way to learn is through mistakes. If he wont learn, thats another problem.

If Jose hadn't subbed him on, Luis would have been marking van Persie and he might have actually got to the ball first. Bringing Zouma on just for his aerial ability wasn't the best idea.

It is exactly the kind of mistake young players make though. Zouma showed in preseason that his weakness is both his technique with the ball but also his positional ability.
In order to truly develop it is essential that he gets to play more. I am not confident with him as right-back, but I think it might be beneficial for him to play there against QPR (which I assume is the case) since it will be a challenge to him.
The best way to develop youngsters is to challenge them, let him play CB against Shrewsbury & Maribor while he can be RB against QPR. If he does well in those games than he is ready to start against mid-table teams more often.
There needs to be a certain kind of progress in the way youngsters are introduced, and the next couple of games are the perfect arena for him.

I am not fully convinced by him yet, but he is still young and have not developed yet tactically to the point where a CB should be.