"Lukewarm Stamford Bridge"

It's not something you can fix overnight. A lot of times it's down to a bit of anxiety or simply because the teams who come to the Bridge stifle the play so much that games can become a little dull.

Football crowds are pretty weird things too. In this country you tend to find we become more vocal in adversity, and that's a tough role for us to adopt when we're one of the biggest, richest clubs in the world. When you're on an away day, you're in 'enemy territory' in the role of the underdog so there's a greater will to fight the 'occupying force'. Plus I can only talk about myself but I tend to drink more before an away game, so that helps.

You have to look at the profile of our fans though. We're not unique in seeing a change in the type of fans going, but the whole atmosphere has changed. My earliest memories are of half-time stinking of booze and fags, but then it changed to families literally bringing packed lunches. It's almost like we've been domesticated in a way.

That's not to say we don't have the ability to be louder, but it's often in the games where there's a rivalry or the other team comes to attack us. It's not going to be as simple as reducing the price of tickets because that's not possible every week in the current stadium. I actually think any solution is going to come with a move to a new ground where you can maybe look to standing areas (although I've seen plenty of times the MHL has been all standing but there's still an anxious feel amongst the fans) or reduce prices in certain areas but still maintain the income you need.

Ultimately though, we're a rich club with expensive seats in West London. That's going to have a massive bearing on what type of people you attract to the club.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our home atmosphere has been poor ever since the away fans were moved to the Shed End. Stamford Bridge is a graveyard. I was in the MHL on Wednesday for the Schalke game, and everyone seemed genuinely shocked - literally, people were speechless - when about 15 people in the West Lower started singing. Even the MH Stand isn't as vocal as it once was. Too many prawn sarnie-eaters and middle-class businessmen in trenchcoats for there to be a decent atmosphere, I feel.

Our home atmosphere has been poor ever since the away fans were moved to the Shed End. Stamford Bridge is a graveyard. I was in the MHL on Wednesday for the Schalke game, and everyone seemed genuinely shocked - literally, people were speechless - when about 15 people in the West Lower started singing. Even the MH Stand isn't as vocal as it once was. Too many prawn sarnie-eaters and middle-class businessmen in trenchcoats for there to be a decent atmosphere, I feel.

well from the television I was shocked (and also impressed) by the noise made by Schalke supporters and how they didn't stop singing even when the team was losing 3-0... I sort of felt bad at that moment because our fans in the stadium didn't have a 'comeback' to them, even when we were winning - at least that was the impression from the TV.

It's a deep problem I guess, based on the many reasons you and others who actually go there explained. As a fan overseas I'm just sad :(

Jose himself is criticizing the home support, how ironic is that! :lol2:

I'm not entirely sure he meant to criticise... You know these days how the English media twist things.

That sounds like some thing AVB might do., not Mourinho

I'm not entirely sure he meant to criticise... You know these days how the English media twist things.

That sounds like some thing AVB might do., not Mourinho

The person who that message was intended to understood it, dont worry!

I go to many games at home and I can tell you that unless it's a big game vs top teams the support is fucking embarassing. The West and East stands are dreadful places to be seated. Not one person says a fucking thing. Only one half of the Mathew Harding actually stands up constantly shouting and singing their hearts out whilst the other half get told to sit down every five fucking minutes.

The fans really need to start getting behind the team more and sing. Even if you don't know the songs or chants just shout comon.. or something!

That has bugged me for years!

Rant over!t

I've been going for near 15 years and it's certainly different now to what it was say 10 years ago (not that it was great then). IMO the poor atmosphere is down to two things; success and complacency. People now just turn up expecting us to win and probably find it hard to get up for or motivated for most games (except the big ones). It seems it's only when we go through a rough patch when fans actually start to be more vocal and create a better atmosphere.

But saying that, it's the same almost everywhere in the league. Other than Palace I can't think of anything half decent. I like how German fans are very loud throughout games but something about it just doesn't feel right to me. Often they have someone not actually watching the game and just there to coordinate the singing. Just seems a bit fake to me.

I go to many games at home and I can tell you that unless it's a big game vs top teams the support is fucking embarassing. The West and East stands are dreadful places to be seated. Not one person says a fucking thing. Only one half of the Mathew Harding actually stands up constantly shouting and singing their hearts out whilst the other half get told to sit down every five fucking minutes.

The fans really need to start getting behind the team more and sing. Even if you don't know the songs or chants just shout comon.. or something!

That has bugged me for years!

Rant over!t

Be careful, that is enough for some to question your love for Chelsea!

You arent allowed to criticize the "people who go to the ground" (even if you are one of them), because some consider they are te only true blues and the only ones who deserve to be called CFC supporters...

I've been going for near 15 years and it's certainly different now to what it was say 10 years ago (not that it was great then). IMO the poor atmosphere is down to two things; success and complacency. People now just turn up expecting us to win and probably find it hard to get up for or motivated for most games (except the big ones). It seems it's only when we go through a rough patch when fans actually start to be more vocal and create a better atmosphere.

But saying that, it's the same almost everywhere in the league. Other than Palace I can't think of anything half decent. I like how German fans are very loud throughout games but something about it just doesn't feel right to me. Often they have someone not actually watching the game and just there to coordinate the singing. Just seems a bit fake to me.

Fake? In what sense? They have somebody coordinating the fans to sing because it creates a special atmosphere forcthe players and the fans alike.

Imagine if our fans rocked The Bridge like Dortmund fans do. Garunteed we would win more games and every player would play their hearts out every game instead of going missing in lots of games like they do now!

Fake? In what sense? They have somebody coordinating the fans to sing because it creates a special atmosphere forcthe players and the fans alike.

Imagine if our fans rocked The Bridge like Dortmund fans do. Garunteed we would win more games and every player would play their hearts out every game instead of going missing in lots of games like they do now!

Perhaps fake was the wrong word. Unnatural, maybe. If they want to sing, they will sing. You can't pride yourself on having a good support if it takes someone to stand there not even watching the game and getting you to sing.

Although I dislike them, Liverpool on those European nights is far superior to Dortmund.

Be careful, that is enough for some to question your love for Chelsea!

You arent allowed to criticize the "people who go to the ground" (even if you are one of them), because some consider they are te only true blues and the only ones who deserve to be called CFC supporters...

Hang on just a minute there mister!

I mean, how dare José question the fans at the game! They're the 'real supporters' after all!

Us peasant Chelsea fans who can only watch the games on T.V. will just have to dream of one day of being one of those 'real supporters'; because going to the games is the only way to support the club!! And if you can't get to the games because of your geographical location, or if you're busy with college/work/family or even if you're just plain poor, well then tough luck! You're not a 'real supporter'!

Until then, we'll just have to continue giving the club our peasant money by paying for the sports channels, the replica kits and all of the other merchandise the club doesn't rely on at all!!

Perhaps fake was the wrong word. Unnatural, maybe. If they want to sing, they will sing. You can't pride yourself on having a good support if it takes someone to stand there not even watching the game and getting you to sing.

Although I dislike them, Liverpool on those European nights is far superior to Dortmund.

I actually completely disagree with you. I think the fact that they do have somebody there encouraging everyone to song proves they have very good support. Besides let's not get it twisted the Dortmund fans don't just sing because of one man who isn't watching the game. They stand and sing because they want to and can express their passion without being told to sit down by the stewards every five minutes. I was at Chelsea vs Byern Leverkusen in the group stage two seasons ago and a man behind me threatened a a poor young lad he would smash his fsce in if hexstood up and sung again. You see it's not just the stewards but our fucking fans too. Shameful.

I agree Liverpool for me have the most vocal support in the Prem. A lot would disagree but the kop does rock it!

using this thread for something else, but I'm not about to open a whole new topic for something that might take only one post to answer me.

Mourinho mentioned in one of his recent interviews that having English players in the squad was important for a lot of reasons and one of them was to explain to foreigners why they play on boxing day - which is actually weird for me. Every other league (especially in countries where Christian religions are prominent) don't play around xmas time, but it's a tradition in England.

I'd love to know why :)