Analyzing Everton's goal - How it went completely berserk

hjperdeath

Cech can only be blamed for the bad throw not the attempt to keep it out, too point blank to do anything with.

Agree, he couldn't have anticipated Jelavic to pass across the goal and had he done he would have left the near post wide open for Jelavic to apply the easiest of finishes.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do not mean to blame Luiz only, but one can not rely on him. Occasionally he fucks up royally.

Personally, I believe his ego is too blobbed up. I do not even like to see him hugging every kick, as seen recently. Several times, Frank lines up & Luiz takes it over & kicks the ball into the bleachers.

Not sure how you can analyse this goal without once using the word 'transition'.

The point at which teams transition from defence to attack is when they are often most vulnerable, and ultimately it was the combination of Cech's throw, Eto'o's lack of fitness to reign the ball in and a terrible touch from Ramires (something that he isn't unfamiliar with) that led to Everton regaining possession whilst we were moving upfield.

That meant players were out of position, and David Luiz had a massive rush of blood to the head. That emotion, that passion, that intensity that people laud when talking about him as captain material is what led to him leaving his position and rushing the player in possession. You can have one fuck-up with the ball and maybe recover from it, but it requires every other player to remain calm and do their job.

David Luiz didn't. He just had one of those games where he had some really brainless moments and for the first time ever I thought we missed Gary Cahill in defence.

It's quite understood that Chelsea were transitioning into attack when I mentioned that Cech threw the ball towards Etoo'o to start off a counter attack. I didn't really have to mention offensive transition. It's quite clearly understood . It definitely is when a team's most vulnerable but that doesn't mean only Luiz but several others players as well. I've said it before as well , no way am I directly blaming Luiz for the goal , but he played the heaviest part in it. Furthermore I don't expect him to do it again.

It's quite understood that Chelsea were transitioning into attack when I mentioned that Cech threw the ball towards Etoo'o to start off a counter attack. I didn't really have to mention offensive transition. It's quite clearly understood . It definitely is when a team's most vulnerable but that doesn't mean only Luiz but several others players as well. I've said it before as well , no way am I directly blaming Luiz for the goal , but he played the heaviest part in it. Furthermore I don't expect him to do it again.

Sorry to say, but you don´t expect him to do it again ? Have I got news for you ? Mark my words, he will.

He didn't play the heaviest part in it though. Blame should be equally shared between him and Ramires.

I'd expect Luiz to have a rush of blood to the head again and do something similar by the way. It's who he is. He's passionate and sometimes that costs him.

And Ramires will always have a bad touch in his locker. Again, it's who he is.

Sorry to say, but you don´t expect him to do it again ? Have I got news for you ? Mark my words, he will.

If Jose wasnt there , I would agree . Now that he is here , either he changes or ends up being benched for Cahill.

He didn't play the heaviest part in it though. Blame should be equally shared between him and Ramires.

I'd expect Luiz to have a rush of blood to the head again and do something similar by the way. It's who he is. He's passionate and sometimes that costs him.

And Ramires will always have a bad touch in his locker. Again, it's who he is.

I'd disagree . For me the blame starts from Luiz, then Cole and then Ramires .

I've seen that scoop ball technique before . He's used it quite well a couple of times ,but in a whole he does seen to have a pretty poor touch , but I don't expect to see that technique to fail all the time .

I'd disagree . For me the blame starts from Luiz, then Cole and then Ramires .

I've seen that scoop ball technique before . He's used it quite well a couple of times ,but in a whole he does seen to have a pretty poor touch , but I don't expect to see that technique to fail all the time .

It doesn't have to fail all the time, just once.

Look, he has an inconsistent touch. We all know it. He's capable of putting in ball's like the one for Eto'o, but he's also capable of giving the ball away in dangerous situations. Sometimes that combination will work in our favour and we're a goal up and sometimes it'll go the other way.

If Jose wasnt there , I would agree . Now that he is here , either he changes or ends up being benched for Cahill.

Exactly, what´s gonna happen. I even go further here. Jose gets rid of him if this continues. i do not even think, Luiz is Jose´s type of a player.

It doesn't have to fail all the time, just once.

Look, he has an inconsistent touch. We all know it. He's capable of putting in ball's like the one for Eto'o, but he's also capable of giving the ball away in dangerous situations. Sometimes that combination will work in our favour and we're a goal up and sometimes it'll go the other way.

I was only talking about that particular technique as i have tried it as well. I have agreed to the fact that he does have a very poor touch .

I never said there was anything wrong with the analysis.

What i meant was that...at the end of the day, the analysis from the Everton game is simple: we failed to score.

Anyway, i'm not too worried about defensive errors, they can be ironed out....but the lack of a clinical finisher is very concerning.

I know I know. Just failed to phrase it properly. Apologies. :)

Definitely agree with your point that the lack of clinical finishing is concerning. We've had like 68-69 shots in 4 league matches so far but only about 19 of them are on target! :doh: And it also won't help much if our defence make comical errors like that especially when scoring goals is a problem for us. Will only make us more desperate and difficult.

I disagree about the analysis just like The Skipper and you'd find a post by me complaining about Luiz's positioning in general just after the match, so my point here isn't even defending Luiz, he's was in the wrong, but among all players involved, he's the last one that should take the blame, that's over-analyzing. If the two backs that were marking the players had done it properly, they would have cleared the ball, end of it. Was it bad that there were only two of them? Yes, but if they had done their part well the the ball would have been sent to corner or outside the box, simple as that. The lack of a player (in this case Luiz for not keeping his position inside the box) is only the main problem if an opponent is left unmarked - which is why I complained about his positioning. If he doesn't hold position the risks are that other defenders won't make it in time to fill a position he should be filling. That's not the case in this goal at all.

Everton players weren't unmarked, Ivan and Terry were there. They were badly marked which is different. I can't for the life of me blame a third player when there are two players who failed to do their part well against two opponents allowing them to touch the ball. So had Luiz left his position and either player from Everton were left completely unmarked because Terry and Ivan couldn't reach them in time, I would blame Luiz mostly. Now Luiz allowed us to be even in numbers (2 against 2) and that's a problem, but had Ivan marked better or Terry, we wouldn't have conceded. If we keep back tracking to every possible mistake done in a play, we'll find culprits everywhere because a football match is filled of mistakes. Ramires failed, Luiz was poor in his decision making, but at the end of the day Ivan and Terry did a horrible job marking their men.

I also agree with bushman about the expectation of this kind of mistake not happening again just because Mourinho is the manager. if people think that then they need to watch the match between Dortumund x Real Madrid last season (first leg in Germany) in a team Mourinho had been working for three seasons already. Individual mistakes happen all the time in football. Mourinho isn't going to fix it, the player won't fix it because if it was that tangible and simple we wouldn't see experienced players making mistakes and they do. So expecting Mourinho to make things like to never happen again is not only naïve, but also very unrealistic. Also if you think that because of that Luiz is going to see the bench, then we'll be left with no player to start because Terry, Cahill, Cole and Ivan are all subjected to make a mistake here and there and some of them will probably be much worse than a bad decision about positioning. I have no doubts Luiz (as well as others) will get better under Mourinho and his awareness will improve, but Mourinho won't make any player infallible, Mourinho won't bench a player because of one mistake (especially one that was barely the reason why we conceded at all) and if Luiz leaves the starting 11 is because of many things combined, not one tiny detail in a goal conceded where others were more to blame than him. Also the man himself defended Luiz and said many times he likes him - so I don't buy the 'Luiz is not the kind of player Mourinho likes' first because he is, second because while Mourinho was reticent and sometimes vague about Mata while clearing up transfers rumors he went out of his way to state Luiz wouldn't leave us because he counts on him and praised him as a player.

I disagree about the analysis just like The Skipper and you'd find a post by me complaining about Luiz's positioning in general just after the match, so my point here isn't even defending Luiz, he's was in the wrong, but among all players involved, he's the last one that should take the blame, that's over-analyzing. If the two backs that were marking the players had done it properly, they would have cleared the ball, end of it. Was it bad that there were only two of them? Yes, but if they had done their part well the the ball would have been sent to corner or outside the box, simple as that. The lack of a player (in this case Luiz for not keeping his position inside the box) is only the main problem if an opponent is left unmarked - which is why I complained about his positioning. If he doesn't hold position the risks are that other defenders won't make it in time to fill a position he should be filling. That's not the case in this goal at all.

Everton players weren't unmarked, Ivan and Terry were there. They were badly marked which is different. I can't for the life of me blame a third player when there are two players who failed to do their part well against two opponents allowing them to touch the ball. So had Luiz left his position and either player from Everton were left completely unmarked because Terry and Ivan couldn't reach them in time, I would blame Luiz mostly. Now Luiz allowed us to be even in numbers (2 against 2) and that's a problem, but had Ivan marked better or Terry, we wouldn't have conceded. If we keep back tracking to every possible mistake done in a play, we'll find culprits everywhere because a football match is filled of mistakes. Ramires failed, Luiz was poor in his decision making, but at the end of the day Ivan and Terry did a horrible job marking their men.

I also agree with bushman about the expectation of this kind of mistake not happening again just because Mourinho is the manager. if people think that then they need to watch the match between Dortumund x Real Madrid last season (first leg in Germany) in a team Mourinho had been working for three seasons already. Individual mistakes happen all the time in football. Mourinho isn't going to fix it, the player won't fix it because if it was that tangible and simple we wouldn't see experienced players making mistakes and they do. So expecting Mourinho to make things like to never happen again is not only naïve, but also very unrealistic. Also if you think that because of that Luiz is going to see the bench, then we'll be left with no player to start because Terry, Cahill, Cole and Ivan are all subjected to make a mistake here and there and some of them will probably be much worse than a bad decision about positioning. I have no doubts Luiz (as well as others) will get better under Mourinho and his awareness will improve, but Mourinho won't make any player infallible, Mourinho won't bench a player because of one mistake (especially one that was barely the reason why we conceded at all) and if Luiz leaves the starting 11 is because of many things combined, not one tiny detail in a goal conceded where others were more to blame than him. Also the man himself defended Luiz and said many times he likes him - so I don't buy the 'Luiz is not the kind of player Mourinho likes' first because he is, second because while Mourinho was reticent and sometimes vague about Mata while clearing up transfers rumors he went out of his way to state Luiz wouldn't leave us because he counts on him and praised him as a player.

I strongly disagree. Ivanovic was perfectly positioned to mark his respective player while Terry was covering an area zonally. Ivanovic was forced to press on Naismith (who was to be marked by Luiz) cause Luiz just wandered away towards the ball without looking at the defensive line. This kept Jelavic open. The story goes on as Ivanovic panics and rushes towards Jelavic when the ball is played in and a clear Naismith heads the ball in. There is no way they can head the ball away when the ball is being played into an area where they cannot encroach because they're either already marking someone or covering an area. The marking or covering was perfect in the sense that they were doing their duties, they were marking the players they were supposed to mark and covering the area's they were supposed to. Later on Coleman goes into the area where Terry is. So even if he goes on to mark Naismith, Coleman has a clear shot on goal. One can never find a fault with that. It isn't their fault if they fail to mark someone else's player, that is the other player's fault.

Even with Terry it was never 2 on 2, because Terry isn't supposed to mark.You could blame several players for this goal, but Ivanovic and Terry can never be. They're more like victims, at-least in my opinion.