Maradona Meets Chelsea

DavidEU

Clicky

Mon, 28th Jan 2008

Cobham played host to football royalty today as Argentine legend Diego Maradona dropped by to meet the squad and chat with Avram Grant.

In an unexpected visit, Maradona stayed for some time, taking in training, chatting with players and signing autographs for everyone around.

The 47-year-old spoke with Avram Grant for an extended spell, before embracing with Andriy Shevchenko and Michael Ballack, and finally conversing with our new Argentine youngster Franco Di Santo, who signed last week.

It was a huge surprise for all the playing staff, with our own number 10 Joe Cole perhaps the most excited by his arrival.

Shevchenko, who along with Michael Ballack rejoined training with the squad today, was happy to discuss Maradona's visit.

'In the world of football he is a hero for every player, he is an incredible player,' smiled the Ukrainian.

'He is a legend, a hero for everyone, and a fantastic player. He has had a difficult life, but he is doing well now. His look is good and it's important for him

He looks good, he has lost a lot of weight, and feels much better. He plays some golf like me, but I can't play much right now. Now I start to train and feel good.'

Branislav Ivanovic also joined in with training, and continued his progress towards match fitness by working on his own after the session.

Petr Cech was one man not feeling such a high as the others - as Maradona looked on, our goalkeeper lost a 'crossbar challenge' game against his fellow stoppers, and as a forfeit had to return to the changing rooms in nothing but his underwear and gloves.

To see exclusive footage of Maradona at the training ground, tune in to Monday Night Live at 6.30pm on Chelsea TV, with player interviews on Maradona's visit.

The show also features reaction to the victory at Wigan on Saturday, and a live phone-in.

To subscribe to Chelsea TV on Sky Digital channel 421 call 08700 240 490. Existing Sky customers can subscribe through the Sky Products area on Sky Active via their Sky remote control.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ohh awesome I can't wait to see that this evening :)

On another note I'm guessing this may put both Ballack and Shevchenko in contention for Reading? I'd love to see Anelka and Shevchenko up front :D

Yup having Ballack and Sheva back will be a massive massive boost. Although i can't at the moment see us leaving the 4-3-3 formation that is working so well. Although i think Anelka or Sheva could play on the wing as a more advanced winger.

is there a reason why he came?

Maybe was over here anyway. But i would guess he would have taken the time to come and see Di Santo. Maradonna has always taken a huge interest in the young talented Argentinian players and has been very close to Tevez and Messi for years.

Just seen the footage of it on Chelsea tv - the Chelsea players were all very chuffed to see him :) Loads of them had their photos taken with him and had signed memoribilia. Shevchenko, Sidwell and Joe Cole were interviewed saying how happy they were to see such a legend.

Grant told them he had a special friend coming to training and in popped Maradona :D

On a separate note they were playing some game which Cech obviously lost and he had to race around the pitch in just his underwear :D

Grant told them he had a special friend coming to training and in popped Maradona :D

On a separate note they were playing some game which Cech obviously lost and he had to race around the pitch in just his underwear :D

lol Cech :lol: . Question, how is Maradonna Grant's friend? the article said they had a chat, but i cant think of how they could be friends. Must of been made up by Chelsea :D

lol Cech :lol: . Question, how is Maradonna Grant's friend? the article said they had a chat, but i cant think of how they could be friends. Must of been made up by Chelsea :D

Avram is very highly respected in the game and knows many people :) Maradona gave him a ring to ask if he could attend the training session :)