Rooney answers critics to stun Blues

BlueLion.

Chelsea 0-1 Manchester United

Wednesday 6 April 2011 - Stamford Bridge

0,,10268%7E9563887,00.jpg

To quote Didier Drogba - "it's a fucking disgrace." That can describe a woeful refereeing decision and an unsatisfactory Chelsea performance.

The increasingly evident anti-Chelsea conspiracy continues in the UEFA Champions League. It is a statement that is becoming increasingly more frustratingly ironic around Stamford Bridge, but once more a controversial penalty decision has seen the Blues robbed as they continue their hapless pursuit of European football's holy grail.

The decision to not award a spot kick for one of the more blatant fouls you are likely to see in a football match came with the strikes unmistakably high - Chelsea were trailing to the better team. Unfortunately it is a decision that also allows Chelsea fans to feel genuinely aggrieved when instead they should felt horribly let down by a starting eleven who were, almost to a man, outplayed and outclassed by Sir Alex Ferguson's superb Manchester United team. Organised, compact and looking frightfully dangerous on the counter-attack, Sir Alex came to Stamford Bridge and finally outwitted his old nemesis Carlo Ancelotti.

Chelsea, in comparison, were blunt and generally devoid of ideas until approximately the 78th minute when John Mikel Obi was introduced. Suddenly, the Blues looked every inch United's equal. A change in shape had momentarily produced the opportunity in front of goal that most likely would have led to a leveller via the boot of Frank Lampard. But as Ramires marauded his way into the United box, the impeding Patrice Evra quite obviously took the Brazilian's leg. A more blatant penalty you are unlikely to see in a Champions League quarter-final tie - though with Chelsea's past record in terms of getting penalty kicks at home in European knockout competition, there was an air of sickening inevitability that the Spanish referee would wave away disbelieving Chelsea protests.

Ensuing rage was heightened when Fernando Torres was booked for simulation, almost to compound Chelsea woes. In order to rub a little more salt into gaping wounds caused by Wayne Rooney's immaculate finish after 24 minutes, it was merely an innocent clash of legs that saw Torres fall to the floor as Chelsea tried in vain to equalise. Instead, with the post tickled by a Torres flick before Evra made a fortunate clearance off the line from Frank Lampard, and Edwin van der Sar also denying Torres what looked a certain goal with a superb one-handed save, it was becoming increasingly apparent the footballing gods had favoured the fortunes of Sir Alex's charges. It does beg the question, however - what the fuck is the point of the 'assistant official?'

Credit where it is due. United were, overall, the better team and deserved to end their Stamford Bridge hoodoo.

One thing this game certainly shows is the fact Chelsea must revert to a 4-3-3. The final fifteen minutes saw the Blues pose a genuine threat to van der Sar's goal, as opposed to two decent Drogba efforts and a couple of wayward long-range efforts that did little to trouble the Dutch custodian. Mikel's presence in the holding role allowed Lampard and Ramires licence to roam, whilst the presence of Malouda and Anelka on either wing opened up the pitch, as opposed to the claustrophobic, cramped conditions of their narrow 4-4-2. Natural width has ever been key to Chelsea's trophy-winning successes - the Blues crushed all before them between March and October in an attack that became feared for its relentlessness in front of goal.

United were up against a tide of Blue attacks early on as Chelsea sought to impose themselves on the Red Devils, but having ridden a muted storm that echoed Saturday's moderately limp performance in front of goal at Stoke, United broke up the other end in impeccable style. Carrick's switch to Ryan Giggs was perfectly-weighted, Giggs' touch and pass were sublime and the finish from Rooney was an example of his recently returned confidence. The word 'predictable' was exchanged between more than a few as the ex-Everton man pointed to the sky in celebration.

In exchange, Chelsea had to wait until the final minutes of the first half to impose themselves as an attacking force. Didier Drogba showed great strength and skill to cross to the far stick, where Torres' deft flick tickled the base of the post. On the rebound, the ball sat too high for Lampard, who could only swipe at it with his shin, allowing Evra to make a dramatic clearance off the line. Chelsea could not have come much closer - but after respectable efforts from the edge of the box by Essien and Ivanovic, a decent chance for Ramires went begging, whilst Torres was left pounding the turf in frustration as his textbook header was inexplicably clawed out of the air by van der Sar in a physics-defying motion.

Chelsea should have been given a penalty and Frank Lampard most likely would have buried it. That argument does not hide the very simple fact that Manchester United were the better team, and that Carlo Ancelotti was out-thought by his opposite number. All is not yet lost - the pressure is firmly on United to progress, but the Blues will surely find courage from their wonderful record at Old Trafford and the thought that European success represents the only chance of salvation from the dramatic mid-season capitulation that has undermined domestic trophies this term. The Champions League is all the Blues have left to play for now, and you can bet your bottom dollar they will throw everything they have at Sir Alex's men at the Theatre of Dreams.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Chelsea (4-4-2): Cech; Bosingwa (Mikel 77), Ivanovic, Terry ©, Cole; Ramires, Essien, Lampard, Zhirkov (Malouda 69); Drogba (Anelka 69), Torres.

Manchester United (4-4-2): van der Sar; Rafael (Nani 50), Ferdinand, Vidic ©, Evra; Valencia, Carrick, Giggs, Park (Smalling 90+3); Rooney, Hernandez (Berbatov 77)

The TalkChelsea.net man of the match was Manchester United's number 11, RYAN GIGGS

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Bosingwa should NEVER play a big game again, ive just made a thread showing why.

I dont think it was that bad that ref was a twat, im glad Carlo has resisted making comments on the ref, well done to the guy for acting with dignity and class, Fergie can learn a lot from him.

On a side note how do you do match reports after a match like this? full credit id never be able to do that.

I noticed we are more prone to concede goals from 4-4-2 then from 4-3-3 which is pretty much not logical.Since 4-3-3 is the most offensive formation there is.

Keep the faith lads!

COYB!

PS: Beautiful report as usual sexy

Edited by True_Blue

I noticed we are more prone to concede goals from 4-4-2 then from 4-3-3 which is pretty much not logical.Since 4-3-3 is the most offensive formation there is.

Keep the faith lads!

COYB!

PS: Beautiful report as usual sexy

I honestly think it is because of the anchor man role, where Mikel/Essien would be the third man in the centre during attacks from the wings or is sitting atop of the defence ready to break down attacks or slow them down. It is more logical that if we have two attacking minded players in the middle, i would have them forward rather then forcing them to come back and do a defensive role. The 433 is a counter attacking system either, which we can be masters of when the right tempo type of players are playing.

Also, excellent summary of the match Alex. Always seem you do the most perfect reviews of our games. :lol:

Guys and fellow Chelseans!!!!, Let the truth be told; here are some instances we went wrong against MUFC, if we strive to correct our flaws, the current Man U is no match for CFC, in terms of strenght. When it comes to power and muscle my fear for CFC was Man city, they have all the strongly built guys who usually have the penchant of bullying out our dear CFC players. The opposite is the case when you compare CFC with Man utd, we are the more physical side in these case.

What went wrong today (yesterday) here are my blames: # 1 BOSINGWA, played like an inexperienced defender in intercepting the pass to Giggs, distance was not on his side neither was it on Giggs side even though Giggs was at advantage with less distance to cover. What Bosingwa should have done then was not to go chasing a ball that he was more than likely to miss and just a simple deft touch from the opposing attacker would put him off track, what he should have done was to aim his run towards Giggs and simply stand provide an obstacle between giggs and the ball, bearing in mind that Giggs also had some little distance to cover to get to the pass. Worst outcome would have been a foul against him because at the end of the day Giggs will run into him and maybe get the foul. ( when I was much younger in my 20's I used to play defence, right full back, one thing i used to do then was to lure opponents to give a pass to the right wing attacker by pretending to create some distance between myself and the attacker. first thing that comes to the attackers team-mates is that the winger is free and they are lured to make a pass, but since i was expecting that move I was always quick enough to quell the pass 9 out of 10 times it worked for me but then I was much younger and fit. I actually use that trick to get some cheap recognition as a sturdy defender). While i dont advise creating space for your opponents to be free, I am suggesting that quick thinking is required in such scenarios. A simple bump (collision) with Giggs could have quelled that move.

#2: We need to resort into man-to-man marking simple as that, with such a rule you wouldnt have a Free Rooney to convert. All the hue and cry about 4-4-2 OR 4-3-3, is all paperwork in the real sense of the word when the game starts its all a joint task of 11(maybe 10) men attacking and defending for the soul purpose of victory.

#3: If lampard underperforms let hime warm the bench. We shouldn't allow past glories to becloud our rightful decisions, I counted a series of at least 4 faulty passes dished out by Lampard, that don't come from an in-form player with confidence.

#4: On Torres he still a useful man his tricks are sublime, so far he and his fellow teammates have not been able to enmesh him into the attacking network once these can be acheived the floodgates of goals will come back because Torres will score, then others will follow. I bet you guys the moment Torres scores the confidence level will rise again and we will start to see goals from Essien, Lampard and from distances too, of course the likes of Drogs/Anelka/kalou will always score once the floodgate is open.

So what is the way to kick out MUFC next week? Simple! man to man marking (no rough play so we dont get cards) , just making sure we dont give MUFC players yards of space to play and leaving no free Man U player on his own whereby he will be very composed enough to make good kicks into our goal area. We have a good attack that just needs to re-discover its sharpness and from midfield to defence no opponents player should be left unmarked. if we do the right things we can turn around this situation Then let CFC stop waiting for opponents to score first before they start playing why don't we change our approach and be the first to score a 2-0 lead and concentrate fully on an error free defence while occassionaly going forward to increase the tally. This season we have given away many cheap goals due to player error as opposed to well worked-out goals by our opponents. Let us change the tide. NOW IS THE TIME, to prove that we CFC are no fluke.

Guys and fellow Chelseans!!!!, Let the truth be told; here are some instances we went wrong against MUFC, if we strive to correct our flaws, the current Man U is no match for CFC, in terms of strenght. When it comes to power and muscle my fear for CFC was Man city, they have all the strongly built guys who usually have the penchant of bullying out our dear CFC players. The opposite is the case when you compare CFC with Man utd, we are the more physical side in these case.

What went wrong today (yesterday) here are my blames: # 1 BOSINGWA, played like an inexperienced defender in intercepting the pass to Giggs, distance was not on his side neither was it on Giggs side even though Giggs was at advantage with less distance to cover. What Bosingwa should have done then was not to go chasing a ball that he was more than likely to miss and just a simple deft touch from the opposing attacker would put him off track, what he should have done was to aim his run towards Giggs and simply stand provide an obstacle between giggs and the ball, bearing in mind that Giggs also had some little distance to cover to get to the pass. Worst outcome would have been a foul against him because at the end of the day Giggs will run into him and maybe get the foul. ( when I was much younger in my 20's I used to play defence, right full back, one thing i used to do then was to lure opponents to give a pass to the right wing attacker by pretending to create some distance between myself and the attacker. first thing that comes to the attackers team-mates is that the winger is free and they are lured to make a pass, but since i was expecting that move I was always quick enough to quell the pass 9 out of 10 times it worked for me but then I was much younger and fit. I actually use that trick to get some cheap recognition as a sturdy defender). While i dont advise creating space for your opponents to be free, I am suggesting that quick thinking is required in such scenarios. A simple bump (collision) with Giggs could have quelled that move.

#2: We need to resort into man-to-man marking simple as that, with such a rule you wouldnt have a Free Rooney to convert. All the hue and cry about 4-4-2 OR 4-3-3, is all paperwork in the real sense of the word when the game starts its all a joint task of 11(maybe 10) men attacking and defending for the soul purpose of victory.

#3: If lampard underperforms let hime warm the bench. We shouldn't allow past glories to becloud our rightful decisions, I counted a series of at least 4 faulty passes dished out by Lampard, that don't come from an in-form player with confidence.

#4: On Torres he still a useful man his tricks are sublime, so far he and his fellow teammates have not been able to enmesh him into the attacking network once these can be acheived the floodgates of goals will come back because Torres will score, then others will follow. I bet you guys the moment Torres scores the confidence level will rise again and we will start to see goals from Essien, Lampard and from distances too, of course the likes of Drogs/Anelka/kalou will always score once the floodgate is open.

So what is the way to kick out MUFC next week? Simple! man to man marking (no rough play so we dont get cards) , just making sure we dont give MUFC players yards of space to play and leaving no free Man U player on his own whereby he will be very composed enough to make good kicks into our goal area. We have a good attack that just needs to re-discover its sharpness and from midfield to defence no opponents player should be left unmarked. if we do the right things we can turn around this situation Then let CFC stop waiting for opponents to score first before they start playing why don't we change our approach and be the first to score a 2-0 lead and concentrate fully on an error free defence while occassionaly going forward to increase the tally. This season we have given away many cheap goals due to player error as opposed to well worked-out goals by our opponents. Let us change the tide. NOW IS THE TIME, to prove that we CFC are no fluke.

Agree with most of that. man marking and we need to be a bit more up for it lik e they were. Quite confident about their place- we will be psychologically advantaged with another penalty not given.

Anyone else think their are other forces at work in denying CL silverware ????? Four penalty appeals turned down v Barca, 1 v Milan, the goal that never crossed the line at Anfield and now this.

Overall we were the better team according to stats last night -the inevitable finger pointing at 'underperformers like Lampard and Boswingwa -yernited would be doing the same had they lost -and they will be next Tuesday !! blue%20scalf.gif

We also restricted United to just one effort on target which was the goal. The penalty would have given some justice but that summed it last night -its half time--Roll on Tuesday blue%20scalf.gif