Chelsea Officially Signed Willian

Jovetic is a striker. The type Mourinho was talking about, that can play between the lines. He scores goals and creates, like Tevez or Rooney.

If you look at Jovetic's goalscoring record, it's hardly a lot like you would expect from a typical goalscorer/ST like Tevez or Rooney..

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you look at Jovetic's goalscoring record, it's hardly a lot like you would expect from a typical goalscorer/ST like Tevez or Rooney..

If there's a team who use 4-4-2 with 2 players upfront. There will obviously be one of them who drops off the other like Jovetic does, so isn't that player still a striker?

And Tevez scored 17 goals in that withdrawn role last season, not much different from Jovetic.

Don't know why people keep on thinking Jovetic is a striker. He's not. He's more of a player that operates out wide on the LW and coming inside or plays behind the ST. Jovetic is not an out-and-out striker like Dzeko, Aguero and Negredo are at City.

He is not really a out and out striker but, he can play as main striker and he is actually a very good option for us.

The only problem with jovetic is that he tends to get injured a lot.

If there's a team who use 4-4-2 with 2 players upfront. There will obviously be one of them who drops off the other like Jovetic does, so isn't that player still a striker?

Just because Jovetic drops off the other ST in a 4-4-2 for example, it doesn't mean he's actually one. A formation stated is just that, a formation. Teams are always flexible and play differently to what the formation suggests. For instance, Mata played quite close to our ST last season most of the time to create chances for them (and others) and score himself too but would you consider him as a striker? No. He's still a No.10 or CAM playing further forward in the final third.

All of this is basically just the role or responsibility. It's not necessarily their primary playing position or one of it.

And Tevez scored 17 goals in that withdrawn role last season, not much different from Jovetic.

You are only looking at one season when Tevez has been playing that role for many seasons now and still score the goals over a few seasons.

Just because Jovetic drops off the other ST in a 4-4-2 for example, it doesn't mean he's actually one. A formation stated is just that, a formation. Teams are always flexible and play differently to what the formation suggests. For instance, Mata played quite close to our ST last season most of the time to create chances for them (and others) and score himself too but would you consider him as a striker? No. He's still a No.10 or CAM playing further forward in the final third.

All of this is basically just the role or responsibility. It's not necessarily their primary playing position or one of it.

You are only looking at one season when Tevez has been playing that role for many seasons now and still score the goals over a few seasons.

So is Jovetic a CAM then? :D This is a pointless argument, he's a striker who's versatile enough to play upfront alone, with another striker, or as an inside forward.

As for Tevez, yeah he's a better goalscorer than Jovetic, but that's an area i'm sure he knows he can improve on.

"I am not drawing comparisons between the two players and their abilities/capacities [...]"

I solely point out some similarities in regard of one aspect of the deal(s). The comparisons end there. The sole parallel between both players is their role in both stories — not regarding their abilities or capacities.

which was pretty obvious from your first post, tbh I don't even bother to write certain kind of posts anymore. I also agree with what Muzchap said much earlier in the thread... discussions derail, words are twisted, and the rubbish is growing as well as stupid discussions.

Anyway, I understood your point and I actually agree...

And comparing the amount of matches in Europe with the amount of matches in Brazil is nonsense... maybe that's one of the reasons why teams use reserves (and sometimes even youth players) in the minor competitions in detriment to the final stages of bigger ones, they use the state championships basically as pre-season (we don't have pre-season matches here) and also why the quality is so bad even now that the clubs actually have more money spend, not to mention the high number of injuries... or how much of a joke is comparing the physicality of EPL to the competitions we have here [it's laughable] (not that it had anything to do with your post, but it's among one of the things I've read and wanted to address).

I stopped reading Rooney's thread weeks ago, and although this one is quite new (the thread is old, the discussion is new), I feel like I already read it all. The same petty arguments have been dragged to exhaustion. I'm not taking away anyone's right to agree or disagree with the signing, but the way the same thing is repeated exhaustedly is sort of tiring. You click on the thread hoping to find some discussion about how the player could be used, alternatives, formations, etc... but it's the same discussion again.

I do hope once the deal is confirmed and it becomes a current squad player thread the discussion about why we shouldn't have signed him doesn't carry on. Of course it will though.

Yeah, but now Rooney wants out.

Rooney is a grumpy person who's acting sulky because things doen't go the way he'd like. And if I'm not mistaken, he is a player who has already held his club to ransom twice. Moreover, we tend to see this issue through the sportive aspect — I believe his unhappiness has deeper roots than just him not having enough playing time.

As I aforementioned, Rooney has twice held Manchester to ransom. Both times Ferguson had to bow before him because he was their most important player and he couldn't afford to let him go. I firmly believe when Ferguson got the dutchman, it was pay-back time. Ferguson promptly gave the main Role to van Persie ; then Ferguson symbolically benched Rooney for their most important match of the season ; finally he gave the last blow by publicly stating that Rooney as handed a trasfer request, which eventually gave birth to that saga.

On the second hand, van Persie, as well as becoming their main asset on the field, became their star. He replaced Rooney both at a sportive level and at a symbolic level. Rooney has been pushed on the side ; and, as the images of him being alone while his team mates were celebrating the goal(s) they scored against Swansea may suggest, he could be ostracised.

It's a tricky and complex affair. We don't have such unrests happening in the backstage.

Sounds like he might miss out on one??

I've said that later on. If the right kind of money is thrown, we'll have no problem. There doesn't seem to be any problem as he meets the criteria. If still it's rejected, Roman just needs to pay a small money, and everything can be put under the bed.

Rooney is a grumpy person who's acting sulky because things doen't go the way he'd like. And if I'm not mistaken, he is a player who has already held his club to ransom twice. Moreover, we tend to see this issue through the sportive aspect — I believe his unhappiness has deeper roots than just him not having enough playing time.

As I aforementioned, Rooney has twice held Manchester to ransom. Both times Ferguson had to bow before him because he was their most important player and he couldn't afford to let him go. I firmly believe when Ferguson got the dutchman, it was pay-back time. Ferguson promptly gave the main Role to van Persie ; then Ferguson symbolically benched Rooney for their most important match of the season ; finally he gave the last blow by publicly stating that Rooney as handed a trasfer request, which eventually gave birth to that saga.

On the second hand, van Persie, as well as becoming their main asset on the field, became their star. He replaced Rooney both at a sportive level and at a symbolic level. Rooney has been pushed on the side ; and, as the images of him being alone while his team mates were celebrating the goal(s) they scored against Swansea may suggest, he could be ostracised.

It's a tricky and complex affair. We don't have such unrests happening in the backstage.

This transfer request happened after Ferguson left...

Everyone knows Rooney doesn't like David Moyes after what he said about Wayne in his book. I don't think Ferguson comes into this at all.

I can't think of a time we've spent £30 million on a player and been this unexcited about a player. He's a fantastic talent without doubt but it doesn't radically redefine our team in any great way, like the Hazard signing did.

I think expectations will be so balanced that he'll surprise a lot of people with his performances but I can't see too many people watching his first interview or anything like that.

I can't think of a time we've spent £30 million on a player and been this unexcited about a player. He's a fantastic talent without doubt but it doesn't radically redefine our team in any great way, like the Hazard signing did.

I think expectations will be so balanced that he'll surprise a lot of people with his performances but I can't see too many people watching his first interview or anything like that.

Because we didn't expected him so most people aren't excited obviously. I can't actually remember anyone being excited about Oscar signing last summer, even when Mata signed we knew we were getting a good player but not a super star one. The only signings that excited most people are Hazard and Torres because they were big name players and was constantly rumored to be linked with all sort of big clubs around Europe so of course if they are signed, we would be excited because we all knew we were getting proven world class players and have beaten so many competitors to them.

Because we didn't expected him so most people aren't excited obviously. I can't actually remember anyone being excited about Oscar signing last summer, even when Mata signed we knew we were getting a good player but not a super star one. The only signings that excited most people are Hazard and Torres because they were big name players and was constantly rumored to be linked with all sort of big clubs around Europe so of course if they are signed, we would be excited because we all knew we were getting proven world class players and have beaten so many competitors to them.

I can remember plenty of people being excited about Oscar because he genuinely looks like he could become on of the best players in the world in the mould of a Kaka.

Not entirely sure where you were hanging around to not see supporters excited about us signing Brazil's number 10 (as he was then). This isn't necessarily to say that there aren't people excited about Willian, but he's probably seen as more of a role player at this point in time than someone who radically redefines us as a team.