Discussing player prices

Henri

Am i the only one already totally tired of hearing about Torres 50 million prize shield mentioned by all media, and yeah, her at TC.

Discussing players of course, but why spend so much energy on the aspect prize ?. Our owner got the money, so what`s the big deal?.

Are we his economic advisor, your thoughts?.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No player is worth 50 million and hence there is bound to be discussion. Even more so when it's everybody's favourite hate object - Chelsea, who splash the said sum on the best player of the 'biggest English team'. It's just the way it is.

Players aren't worth any of the money that's paid for them really but that's the way it is. After we signed Torres I stopped caring about player price and wages, I don't think my £50 ticket contributes to any of that money put up for transfers etc. so who gives a shit.

It's all obscene. Players at the most should be on a bout £10k a week and even that is too much. But look how much Tiger Woods gets just for hitting a golf ball,it's not even a proper sport.

Guest justin_3d

Too much money but when you compare what Liverpool paid for Andy Carrol it does not looks bad.

People don't hate on that, but only on Torres. But soon they will shut their mouth when he help us win the CL! :)

For me i still would have loved Cavani, but hey we got him, and he is our player. I support him.

Players have been priced so harshly recently! To tell you the truth, I was expecting Andy Carroll to leave Newcastle for a relatively sensible fee, but never ever did I expect him to leave for £35 million! I was shocked at that! Money in football can pull out some amazing stories!

Players have been priced so harshly recently! To tell you the truth, I was expecting Andy Carroll to leave Newcastle for a relatively sensible fee, but never ever did I expect him to leave for £35 million! I was shocked at that! Money in football can pull out some amazing stories!

TBF - Carrol the gypsy would never have gone for £35mill if you hadn't given the bin-dippers £50 mil.

and the buggas nailed on to score tomorrow mad.gif

I don't get the fixation either. If Torres was the first player to go for that kind of money, I guess it would make more sense but considering there are three other players who have gone for more (and several more behind him who after inflation adjustment would cost more than Torres did today), it's not that unheard of. It's massive money yes, but consider the source.

I agree with the sentiment that no player is worth that sort of money but that financial barrier was broken years and years ago. Torres isn't the first nor will he be the last big money transfer. Once he starts scoring consistently the scrutiny will be less but until someone else is bought for a higher price, the British press are going to continue to tag him as the 50million pound man.

Guest justin_3d

I don't get the fixation either. If Torres was the first player to go for that kind of money, I guess it would make more sense but considering there are three other players who have gone for more (and several more behind him who after inflation adjustment would cost more than Torres did today), it's not that unheard of. It's massive money yes, but consider the source.

I agree with the sentiment that no player is worth that sort of money but that financial barrier was broken years and years ago. Torres isn't the first nor will he be the last big money transfer. Once he starts scoring consistently the scrutiny will be less but until someone else is bought for a higher price, the British press are going to continue to tag him as the 50million pound man.

It's the same thing with Berbatov. SAF paid a lot for him, and he still get stick for that.

You will always get stick no matter what cause you cost a lot.

Carroll is the new Duncan Fergusen....

Its interesting to see how inflated premier league prices are...

Suarez and Luiz cost about 20 mill each coming from europe

Carroll and Torres were 35 and 50 mill each coming from England

We and ALL other sides will ALWAYS have to pay a premium for Brit players.

Torres...............50 mill? God help us!

Remember though a fair amount of that will be recouped by his shirt sales over the remainder of his contract IF he starts scoring goals..

Notice you wrote IF..... not WHEN!

Jeez..............We are all from the same page.

Torres is way, way, way, over estimated. FFS's the guy has had what? 2?4? poss6 decent performances in 18 months! F'Kin Joke!

I really don't get it, no one complains about Dzeko or Carrol. Carrol made many stupid decisions in the liverpool vs sunderland match, he's had worse games than Torres up to now, and the thing is Torres was Abramovich's money. But spending 35 million on a Striker who might not even adapt in the premier league is just stupid. He's one good player and he might actually adapt, but Newcastle build around there strikers and provide a lot of assistance, that's why Newcastle strikers usually do score quite a few. Dzeko for me was a good buy by City, he is the great type of person to play in there formation what they do, he's young great record internationally and for Wolfsburg, but for City he hasn't been how he used to be at all, he hasn't connected and flopped most of the matches he's played in. Torres may of been big money, but compare it to Abromich's money.

At least we know Torres is a world class striker, and only at the age of what 27?, he just has to bond in with the team and he could be perfect. Let people say all this and that about Torres, just makes it harder for them if it's us laughing in the end that's for sure.

Notice you wrote IF..... not WHEN!

Jeez..............We are all from the same page.

Torres is way, way, way, over estimated. FFS's the guy has had what? 2?4? poss6 decent performances in 18 months! F'Kin Joke!

That is true, but on the other side of the coin he has proven world class ability and is in the prime of his career. To be fair to him though he is not getting the chances by his team mates. He has had 1 decent through ball his entire Chelsea career (Luiz against Fulham).