Why do we concede in the last minute so often?

HRiver

Is it because the defence loses concentration? Is it because the players get over excited about the potential win and don't give their very best to defend the result?

Some very late goals have costed us the success. i.e Iniesta's goal which denied us the Champions League final, Heskey's late equalizer for Wigan in the 07/08 season in a very crucial and important moment, Ameobi's late winner at the Bridge vs Newcastle which resulted in us getting knocked out of the Carling Cup, Baines free kick yesterday, and we almost conceded against Fulham too.

I don't think it's only luck, I don't remember Liverpool, Arsenal, Man U and co losing so many decisive games so often and in injury time. It always happens to us. We play for 90 or even 120 minutes and let it slip from our hands in the last minute. Bloody joke. When I concede in PES or Fifa in the last minute I feel so devastated, let alone in a real football match.

The players don't seem to put enough pressure and don't play defensively enough in the last minutes of the game how they should do. It's normal for the opposite team to attack with their whole strength in the last minutes, when will the team ever understand that. Something needs to be done about it.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

That Everton goal in the same season as the Wigan goal...does your head in!

Seem to have a habit of playing till the 90th minute and switch off in added time! Thought it help at home,no time is shown so they dont know how longs left,so carry on as you were sorta thing.Seems to be the opposite latley

Yesterday we conceded twice in the last few mins,just one was offside...just bloody bad luck and an annoying habit.God knows what the reason is!Been doing it for a while

Not the only team, you look at Middlesbrough for example, they have let goals in on the last minute on 8 matches according to statistics, they are mostly in the lead but let the side down every time. However Chelsea it should be completely different, i really don't know, i would mostly go for nervous.

And Villa 3-3 too after we had it won. We never score last minute winners either like Arsenal and Man Utd do, it's really frustrating.

Goals happen late because that's when the team who needs to score presses the most to get the goal, it's natural i guess.

Not the only team, you look at Middlesbrough for example, they have let goals in on the last minute on 8 matches according to statistics, they are mostly in the lead but let the side down every time. However Chelsea it should be completely different, i really don't know, i would mostly go for nervous.

Are you comparing us to Middlesbrough? They haven't got world class players, a world class coach and an owner who spends a lot on players. They're not a club who should be competing for titles every season.

And Villa 3-3 too after we had it won. We never score last minute winners either like Arsenal and Man Utd do, it's really frustrating.

Goals happen late because that's when the team who needs to score presses the most to get the goal, it's natural i guess.

Oh yeah, forgot the one v Villa, which possibly is the worst this season as we scored so late thinking that it was the winner.

Are you comparing us to Middlesbrough? They haven't got world class players, a world class coach and an owner who spends a lot on players. They're not a club who should be competing for titles every season.

I'm clearly not, thats why i said for us it should be different..., though in different leagues come different challenges, Championship is just level like a Premier league, but compared obviously premier league is better. Teams do get nervous, it's just the same problem for many clubs that's all i'm saying. You're not exactly going to get an answer for why they let goals in on the last minute you can only assume it, not like John Terry is going to come out and say 'well yeah, i just feel like letting them get through sometimes when it's the last minute, becoz you must admit it's funny', now that would be the problem solved wouldn't it. My opinion of it would just be nerves, you get nervous when it's just the last minute and you must do something in under that time, it's just natural. Maybe other clubs can deal with it better, we can't deal with it as good, so we tend to play much worse than usual.

sometimes all it takes is a manager telling his players to keep their head in the game and don't get over excited !!!

but carlo will just :carlo:

Lol it's funny because he pulls faces like that too.