Ray Wilkins breaks silence

LDN Blue

But he accepts that, which in an odd way, is good for us. Good for team harmony.

It's not in my opinion. He isn't a strong manager and is happy to be dictated to. Not a lot of manager would have gone into a season full of expectations with such a small and ageing squad backed up by kids he doesn't trust. Would Ferguson or Mourinho do it? Never. Even Wenger gets 100s of kids as back up that he actually plays. The Chelsea hieracrhy are taking the piss and Carlo seems content with letting them do it. They found the perfect manager for their cost-cutting exercise.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not in my opinion. He isn't a strong manager and is happy to be dictated to. Not a lot of manager would have gone into a season full of expectations with such a small and ageing squad backed up by kids he doesn't trust. Would Ferguson or Mourinho do it? Never. Even Wenger gets 100s of kids as back up that he actually plays. The Chelsea hieracrhy are taking the piss and Carlo seems content with letting them do it. They found the perfect manager for their cost-cutting exercise.

Change can only come from within.

Ancelotti is a "yes man", it's been well documented and established. It may end up costing us the season (ironic, as it's part of this cost-cutting policy). But if that's what it takes for the club hierarchy to learn, then that's what's going to have to happen, it's unfortunate for us the fans but we're going to have to witness it. You just have to take one look at Scolari to realise, outspoken managers just end up getting the boot. Now we have the other side of the coin, the pacifist manager, the one who accepts how things are and tries to make do with what he has. I'm sure he's used to it to be honest, from what I heard about Berlusconi and AC Milan, the manager is always dictated too.

For now we'll have to ride the storm with all this cost-cutting measures. Until it bites the board on their £500,00 Armani suited asses. :)

Change can only come from within.

Ancelotti is a "yes man", it's been well documented and established. It may end up costing us the season (ironic, as it's part of this cost-cutting policy). But if that's what it takes for the club hierarchy to learn, then that's what's going to have to happen, it's unfortunate for us the fans but we're going to have to witness it. You just have to take one look at Scolari to realise, outspoken managers just end up getting the boot. Now we have the other side of the coin, the pacifist manager, the one who accepts how things are and tries to make do with what he has. I'm sure he's used to it to be honest, from what I heard about Berlusconi and AC Milan, the manager is always dictated too.

For now we'll have to ride the storm with all this cost-cutting measures. Until it bites the board on their £500,00 Armani suited asses. :)

You're right it is well documented and we shouldn't have expected any different.

I'd just hate for the team to deteriorate even further with Carlo letting it happen. Afterall he did let it happen at Milan.

Fantastic interview from Ray -

"I think what you're seeing is what Chelsea will be for the next couple of years," said Wilkins. "They're very fortunate to have a very pleasant crop of young men coming through that are extremely talented.

"You've got Josh McEachran, Gael Kakuta, [Jeffrey] Bruma the likes of. They're all doing extremely well and, coupled with the extremely experienced players of such a top level, if these guys can get in there and start producing the goods it augurs well for Chelsea."

But Wilkins has warned McEachran and co they will have to snatch their chance when they get it and repay the faith shown in them.

"We had a bit of a dearth at Chelsea over a number of years where players were not there," he added. "And Roman went out and he supplied a squad that was second to none probably on the planet. Now they're taking a slightly different attitude in the way they are going.

"Everybody seems to think it's the wrong way to go and sooner or later this academy has to start performing. And these young men are the guys that have been brought in to do it so we can either have it one or the other.

"Do we keep going out spending millions and millions of pounds or do we give these young men a chance? In the past it's been we'll spend. [but] at some stage these young men have to stand up and be counted. It's time now to be counted."

Wilkins also insists he holds no ill feeling towards Abramovich despite his sacking and denied a heated discussion with the Russian after the Champions League exit to Inter Milan last season was the reason for his removal.

He added: "Carlo, myself, Roman and a couple of Roman's aides had a discussion after the game and naturally when you go out the Champions League at such a delicate period you get a bit heated.

"That's all it was – nothing more. I'm sure if I would have upset Roman at that period then I would have been out that night. But Roman just feels in this moment of time, from what I can gather, that there needs to be a change within the coaching structure so therefore I'm no longer there.

"But I would say nothing against Chelsea. I had an absolute ball whilst I was there and I feel privileged to work with these guys."

Talksport

What a top, top bloke. emo8.gif