Chelsea Popularity !

Hingis

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah Yes, That fateful first leg at the Old Den was indeed a colourful occasion, except the only colours on show seemed to be black and blue. And you are of course correct, "Old William" did indeed decide that this was the time to make a stand against the war time war mongerers of Chelsea and Millwall......except they didnt do much standing that day as I recall.

The footie on show that day was more of an afterthought to what was occuring on those famous hills of Souf East London that day.

Hingis, I dearly hope your paying attention young man.............as I'll be asking questions later

It was prior to the War Cup that a young Micky Greenaway created the famous puppets Zig and Zag hence the chant Zigger Zagger was born, and the original Stamford Bridge being built on a celery Factory led to the famous Salad Riots of 1934.

It was prior to the War Cup that a young Micky Greenaway created the famous puppets Zig and Zag hence the chant Zigger Zagger was born, and the original Stamford Bridge being built on a celery Factory led to the famous Salad Riots of 1934.

Lol, what a fantasic history lesson this is..... :D

ah the salad riot, which elclipsed both the cable street and notting hill riots for its sheer violence. Great days indeed. Never has a celery stick been used to such dramatic effect :whistling:

no, but because of that fateful day it has been used to great effect on many women whos partners are Chelsea fans.....

no, but because of that fateful day it has been used to great effect on many women whos partners are Chelsea fans.....

Yup the old clitoral celery manoevre...never fails... but remember to leave out the salt.

...anyway, onto the 50s and 60s, and after our League win, and subsequent Tram Parade, we had moderate success in the 60s with a Terry Docherty at the helm who signed a young Dave Osgood. Our 70s FA cup Win was followed by the 'Dark Days'. It was just always dark.

The ground was to be sold to property developers who planned to turn it into a huge Vegetable Theme Park, when the Saviour Ken Bates bought the club for a pound of turkey drummers.....

Well its important for the newbies to know the facts.

For instance, how we were nicknamed the 'Pensioners' because thats the only players we could afford at one time, and our badge is a Lion because Ted Drake used to send one into the away dressing room 'for a laugh'.

Yup the old clitoral celery manoevre...never fails... but remember to leave out the salt.

...anyway, onto the 50s and 60s, and after our League win, and subsequent Tram Parade, we had moderate success in the 60s with a Terry Docherty at the helm who signed a young Dave Osgood. Our 70s FA cup Win was followed by the 'Dark Days'. It was just always dark.

The ground was to be sold to property developers who planned to turn it into a huge Vegetable Theme Park, when the Saviour Ken Bates bought the club for a pound of turkey drummers.....

Indeed, through the murky 70's we slowly trampled and into the 80's and a new fashion, "You cant ban a Chelsea fan" t-shirts. which were on evident display after "events" at Wolves, Derby and Charlton (amongst others).

You see, so our younger members can understand, some 20 years ago, Chelsea fans had such a reputation that those impudent mp's decided to ban us from EVERY away ground for an entrie season no less!, not that it stopped us you understand, Just made things a tad trickier. Then, in the late 80's, they came up with yet another novel idea to clamp down on the "rowdier" of our support :whistling: , They closed the terracing for the first 6 games of the 88/89 season, and made it all ticket for the East and West Stands, and even then you couldnt buy them on the day, you had to come down the Bridge and get your brief in the days before the game you decided to go to, which mean crowds of 8,000 or so/ Away fans were also banned from coming to the Bridge for those first 6 games too. Very harsh indeed, and on top of that, we had to cope with Joe McLaughlin marshalling the defence :rolleyes:

Come along, come along,

Come along and sing this song

We're the boys in Blue in Division 2

But we won't be here for long

And what of our last season out of the top flight?, was thinking about this earlier and I dont think I missed a game, home or away that season, Won the league by an absolute mile but there was more than a few downer's during the season:

High Points:

Beating Man City 3-2 away, In what many had down as a Title decider, 3-0 up, only to let them come back with two goals (Full members anyone?)

Leeds at home, the week after Hillsborough, which one us the title, absolutely no chance of the minutes silence being observed against them.

7-0 against Wallsall, (judas Durie with five)

Kerry Dixon, Graham Roberts, Tony Dorigo,

Low Points:

Blackburn at home, first game, no away fans, shed closed, 8500, and humped 1-2

Losing at Leicester 0 -2, first defeat in 27 games, same day as Hillsborough

Scunthorpe away in the League Cup, 1-4, dear fucking god, following day at work was shocking.

Gareth Hall, Sharon Wood, Peter Nicholas

It was rampant that season. To me Chelseas best ever after 1970 FA Cup win, better than the titles even in terms of euphoria. No wonder Neal had a heart attack months later

Yup the 5-0 trashing of Leeds, 5-0 against Derby and 4-0 against Newcastle -Keegans last game for them if I remember rightly, and he was taking some stick. All those Geordies with those big foam rubber hands. :)

I admit I liked the Mancs during 3 years ( 14 years old 'till my 17 years old ) before I saw the name Chelsea on a beautiful scarf, the 1st match I watched of them on TV : I was caught then I saw the big mistake I made by having liked the Mancs... Chelsea is infinitely much better than the big mouth, big necks, glory hunters of Manure.