4-4-2 could be the answer to our injury problems

BlueLion.

It’s a formation that many have criticised in the past for various reasons; some say it doesn't get the best out of certain players whilst others say we don't have the players to field such a formation.

But with the injuries we currently have and the impotence of our attack, for me its clear we need to change system.

With no Lampard or Essien, there is neither the spark nor drive in the midfield. Zhirkov is a great wide player, whilst Ramires is still settling in. We all know Mikel is hardwired to play in a deeper role, whilst Zhirkov is playing in an unfamiliar position. Similarly Ramires is still acclimatising to the league.

I think switching to a 4-4-2 would work because it compliments the players we have at the moment. The diamond wouldn't work without Lampard or Essien, but a 'flat' midfield might just solve our problems. We're losing players in certain positions - particularly central midfield - and so until Lampard and Essien are back we should switch to a 4-4-2:

Petr Cech

Bosingwa, Ivanovic, Alex, Cole

Malouda, Ramires, Mikel, Zhirkov

Drogba, Anelka

A lot of people say Anelka and Drogba don't work well together, but in my opinion when they are both up top they are brilliant and compliment each other well. Zhirkov and Malouda are wide men and playing them centrally just doesn't seem to be as productive, whilst having Mikel and Ramires in the centre could mean one player is sitting and the other can be more adventurous.

It might not be ideal but I think that this formation could be the answer to our injury problems. The 4-3-3 is becoming predictable to play against, and due to Ash and Bosingwa offering most of our width, we're left extremely narrow when they are being pressed as they were against Sunderland. I also think in a 4-3-3 there is a massive gap between the midfield and the front three, emphasised massively due to the absence of Lampard. Essien's drive means we are able to gamble and have one less man in the middle of the park - but without those pair we look very, very ordinary.

Thoughts?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I've been thinking about how we could tweak our formation since the Liverpool game.

On paper it looks better than the current 4-Mikel-2-3 with the players that are left but we will have to radically change the way we attack to get some goals.

Under CA our front 3 draw the defenders wide to create space for our midfielders and our fullbacks constantly look for spaces and create triangles with the wingers. Swithing to a 4-4-2 may not suit Malouda as he needs to be closer to the box, on the other hand I think Anelka may love a 4-4-1-1 formation as he'll get to play his favourite "creative striker" role. Mikel has been playing deeper than most midfielders for a while now and I don't think a flat midfield will suit his style of play.

Basically it's up to CA to think of something but I doubt he would want such big changes.

Well the midfield duo of Mikel and Ramires could see Mikel play the deeper of the two - I do genuinely think it could work. Malouda played brilliantly as part of a 4-4-2 at Lyon and I can't see why he can't do it again at Chelsea.

Cech

Bosingwa - Ivanovic - Bruma - Cole

Mikel

Malouda - Essien - Zhirkov

Anelka

Drogba

Would like to see a system like that tried out. Mikel would play as a holding midfielder, then we pack our midfield with Malouda, Essien & Zhirkov with either Zhirkov or Malouda making runs down the wing. Carlo has to make it clear that only one should bomb down the wing with the fullback. Otherwise we're simply too exposed in the back. A 4-4-2 or 4-1-3-1-1 can only work if Essien is playing. Ramires would not show enough attacking play.

..................................Cech.............................

Bosingwa..........Ivanovic........Bruma...........A.Cole

...................................................................................

.....................................Mikel......................................

Mceachran............................................malouda

........................Essien.........................

..........................Anelka......................................

........................................Drogba......................

IMHO until Zhirkov gives us A Big big performance Im Playing josh mceachran instead

..................................Cech.............................

Bosingwa..........Ivanovic........Bruma...........A.Cole

...................................................................................

.....................................Mikel......................................

Mceachran............................................malouda

........................Essien.........Ramires................

..........................Anelka......................................

........................................Drogba......................

IMHO until Zhirkov gives us A Big big performance Im Playing josh mceachran instead

what a great selection .... i am sure if we were allowed to field 12 players this would have been a very good line up .

4-4-1-1

---------------------------cech----------------------

----------------bos-----iva----bruma----cole--------------

----------kalou---mikel---mcechren-----zhyrkov

--------------------anelka / malouda------------------

--------------------------Drogba-------------------------------

becas i think malouda will not provide his best at wings---------i think he will provide better assistance to Drogba in a free role behind him (same like van der vaart does for spurs)

4-4-1-1

---------------------------cech----------------------

----------------bos-----iva----bruma----cole--------------

----------kalou---mikel---mcechren-----zhyrkov

--------------------anelka / malouda------------------

--------------------------Drogba-------------------------------

becas i think malouda will not provide his best at wings---------i think he will provide better assistance to Drogba in a free role behind him (same like van der vaart does for spurs)

It’s a formation that many have criticised in the past for various reasons; some say it doesn't get the best out of certain players whilst others say we don't have the players to field such a formation.

But with the injuries we currently have and the impotence of our attack, for me its clear we need to change system.

With no Lampard or Essien, there is neither the spark nor drive in the midfield. Zhirkov is a great wide player, whilst Ramires is still settling in. We all know Mikel is hardwired to play in a deeper role, whilst Zhirkov is playing in an unfamiliar position. Similarly Ramires is still acclimatising to the league.

I think switching to a 4-4-2 would work because it compliments the players we have at the moment. The diamond wouldn't work without Lampard or Essien, but a 'flat' midfield might just solve our problems. We're losing players in certain positions - particularly central midfield - and so until Lampard and Essien are back we should switch to a 4-4-2:

Petr Cech

Bosingwa, Ivanovic, Alex, Cole

Malouda, Ramires, Mikel, Zhirkov

Drogba, Anelka

A lot of people say Anelka and Drogba don't work well together, but in my opinion when they are both up top they are brilliant and compliment each other well. Zhirkov and Malouda are wide men and playing them centrally just doesn't seem to be as productive, whilst having Mikel and Ramires in the centre could mean one player is sitting and the other can be more adventurous.

It might not be ideal but I think that this formation could be the answer to our injury problems. The 4-3-3 is becoming predictable to play against, and due to Ash and Bosingwa offering most of our width, we're left extremely narrow when they are being pressed as they were against Sunderland. I also think in a 4-3-3 there is a massive gap between the midfield and the front three, emphasised massively due to the absence of Lampard. Essien's drive means we are able to gamble and have one less man in the middle of the park - but without those pair we look very, very ordinary.

Thoughts?

I love you

• 2 weeks later...

Until now, I've never agreed with this so much. Something's got to change for Everton and this must be it.

Cech

Bosingwa - Ivanovic - Alex - Cole

Malouda - Essien - Mikel - Zhirkov

Sturridge - Drogba

Okay, so it's a long shot Sturridge would play over Anelka, because Carlo's not that risk taker we think of. But this shape, even with Anelka, is very strong! I don't think Alex should have surgery till Terry's confirmed back. The right side may be a problem with so many left sided players, but this can work. 4-3-3 is just not working now.

I'm not so sure. I think if Lampard comes into the side and we revert to the Diamond (I can hear the collective groans already, but let me finish), we might gain some success. Basically, there is no link between the midfield and the forwards at the minute. Lampard has the natural instinct to bomb forward to play effectively as a third striker and Essien always loves to bomb forward.

Cech

Bosingwa, Ivan, Terry, Cole

Mikel

Essien, Malouda

Lampard

Anelka, Drogba

Anelka and Drogba up top together works much better than people give credit for, in my view. The midfield quartet are naturally very attack-minded (save for Mikel), but with the ability for Lampard and Malouda, and Essien and Mikel to rotate, it would make us much more fluid going forward and give us the ability to actually make links between the frontline and the midfield. Today we saw how deep Anelka and Kalou were having to come, and Drogba was effervescent at best! We need a spark and that should be supplied by Lampard and Essien - unfortunately I think other teams have simply 'found out' how to play against us now.