Youth: The annoying recurring theme this season

Every season there seems to be an underlining theme from fans that has a huge effect on how fans view the season. Whether it was when Avram Grant was getting the sack of the 2007/08 season to the 'Will Carlo bottle it' of the 2009/2010 season.

Even if we retain our premier league crown this season, it seems this season will be judged on how much so called 'youth' we play in every match. This was indicated in the first game of the PL when many were shocked that Carlo had the audacity to not put Kakuta on the bench and were frothing at the mouth in anger when Kalou came on instead of Sturridge. It seems that throughout the season there will be a barrage of angry fans complaining that we did not use Kakuta or Bruma in a match when 3-0 up or why Matic or Sturridge did play a part in a match against a so called 'mid table' club. It going to be extremely annoying that there will always be a question from someone every day about 'When is Kakuta going to start every game for every match'.

Yet ironically some of these fans that in some ways want us to do an Arsenal and put a majority of the team on the field as youth; were complaining that we letting go of 'too much experience' in players like Ballack, Riccy and Joe Cole - even thought that means it gives more youth a chance. Hypocrites.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I keep pointing this out.. It's like I said in the post "What do Chelsea need to do to reach the status of teams like Real Madrid and Manchester United" (or something like that)

We need to get our own youth developed superstar in our squad who's the same nationality. All the big teams have a few:

United: Scholes, Giggs, Neville (he's shite but..)

Barca: Xavi, Iniesta, Valdes, Messi

Real: Casillas, Ramos, Raúl (I know he's gone now.. but 16 years with the club?)

Chelsea: Terry, Mancienne (barely), Turnbull (..)

There's hardly anyone in our squad who's come through the ranks. The future could be:

Chelsea: Terry, Manicenne, McEachran, Mellis, Bertrand + more

But this is if Chelsea give them the push they need. I'm not saying introduce them straight away. But vs teams such as Wigan why not start McEachran with Lampard? Look at Arsenal. First game of the season away to Liverpool at Anfield (not and easy place for ANY team), he gives Jack Wilshere a start! The lad is only 18.

Every season there seems to be an underlining theme from fans that has a huge effect on how fans view the season. Whether it was when Avram Grant was getting the sack of the 2007/08 season to the 'Will Carlo bottle it' of the 2009/2010 season.

Even if we retain our premier league crown this season, it seems this season will be judged on how much so called 'youth' we play in every match. This was indicated in the first game of the PL when many were shocked that Carlo had the audacity to not put Kakuta on the bench and were frothing at the mouth in anger when Kalou came on instead of Sturridge. It seems that throughout the season there will be a barrage of angry fans complaining that we did not use Kakuta or Bruma in a match when 3-0 up or why Matic or Sturridge did play a part in a match against a so called 'mid table' club. It going to be extremely annoying that there will always be a question from someone every day about 'When is Kakuta going to start every game for every match'.

Yet ironically some of these fans that in some ways want us to do an Arsenal and put a majority of the team on the field as youth; were complaining that we letting go of 'too much experience' in players like Ballack, Riccy and Joe Cole - even thought that means it gives more youth a chance. Hypocrites.

laugh.gif Is that a nice way in saying you don't like TX ?. Listen mate calm down no one is saying play a team full of youngsters. People just want the club to integrate youth in now so in 2 years time when didier and lamps are old foggies we can put players in who are familiar with how things work at the club.

Edited by Badboy

I keep pointing this out.. It's like I said in the post "What do Chelsea need to do to reach the status of teams like Real Madrid and Manchester United" (or something like that)

We need to get our own youth developed superstar in our squad who's the same nationality. All the big teams have a few:

United: Scholes, Giggs, Neville (he's shite but..)

Barca: Xavi, Iniesta, Valdes, Messi

Real: Casillas, Ramos, Raúl (I know he's gone now.. but 16 years with the club?)

Chelsea: Terry, Mancienne (barely), Turnbull (..)

There's hardly anyone in our squad who's come through the ranks. The future could be:

Chelsea: Terry, Manicenne, McEachran, Mellis, Bertrand + more

But this is if Chelsea give them the push they need. I'm not saying introduce them straight away. But vs teams such as Wigan why not start McEachran with Lampard? Look at Arsenal. First game of the season away to Liverpool at Anfield (not and easy place for ANY team), he gives Jack Wilshere a start! The lad is only 18.

Surely, you're kidding, START with McEachran? Wilshire has the legs of a full grown man, despite his lack of height and it was mostly his fault Arsenal went one down. He did nothing exceptional that any other Arsenal player couldn't have done, shuffling the ball around the midfield. He's also played most of last season with Bolton getting Prem experience. Josh just got called into the U19's off the back of his 17's efforts, Wilshire just got his first full cap. I wish people would ignore the actual age of the youth players and look at their physical capabilities. Josh has got as far as he has by being left-footed as much as anything, as well as being technically capable obviously. He's not big or fast enough yet, not a Lennon, Wright-Phillips, Richards or Walcott. Sure he'll probably get some game time cause Chelsea need to be "seen" to be pushing a home-grown talent like him through. We have a large amount of talent coming through but it takes time and is more miss than hit. Technically we have much better players, maybe they are just not big enough yet. Surely you'd throw Matic in there first or does he have to be "home-grown" like Fabregas??

There is a clear philosophy at the club to integrate our youngsters. It is happening and Carlo is the right man to bring them through, yes there was questions when Kakuta wasn't on the bench and Sturridge didn't come on, we have since learned that Kakuta is injured and sturridge was still carrying a knock. Jeffrey Bruma is to have an opertion now also. BUT this season we will see the players Carlo has picked (Kakuta, Bruma, Borini, Van Aanholt and McEachran) come along in their first team development. Combined they didn't make double figures last season, this season i expect an improvement.

These things don't happen overnight even though people want it to. We have to be realistic in our hopes for these young players. There has to be a balance between the people who want the youngsters to play all the time and the people who are never willing to give them a chance.

In fairness, and agreeing with the above, Bruma, Sturridge and Kakuta, are currently not match fit, and therefore couldnt be picked. I know we won the game 6-0, but the first game of the season Carlo wont be choosing the youngsters, because he still needs to be playing his regulars, and regular subs, i.e. Kalou and Benayoun. The only youngster on the bench for the game, if we exclude sturridge, was Van Aanholt, and there was no sense in bringing him on because Ashley Cole was having such a good game at Left Back, and there was no need to disrupt this. I dont feel the need to panic; the youngsters will get there chance and We can hope to see more regular sub appearances for them, as well as hopefully an 'Arsenal' approach when concerning the League cup, and the team fielded. I think Sturridge will have plenty of opportunity to prove himself this season, but i hope, unlike most in this forum, he'll be giving his chance alongside Kalou, rather than instead of.

About time we stopped hoping for an over-priced Brazillian, and noticed Kalou for his ability, rather than doubting him and making comments like, he's not even good enough to be on tottenham's bench, which i saw earlier ffs.

^ Those types of comments are from the same people that gladly cheer his name when he scores lol.

I like Kalou for the fact that he looks like he wants to take on a player, he has the fight and I think last season he improved loads

Surely, you're kidding, START with McEachran? Wilshire has the legs of a full grown man, despite his lack of height and it was mostly his fault Arsenal went one down. He did nothing exceptional that any other Arsenal player couldn't have done, shuffling the ball around the midfield. He's also played most of last season with Bolton getting Prem experience. Josh just got called into the U19's off the back of his 17's efforts, Wilshire just got his first full cap. I wish people would ignore the actual age of the youth players and look at their physical capabilities. Josh has got as far as he has by being left-footed as much as anything, as well as being technically capable obviously. He's not big or fast enough yet, not a Lennon, Wright-Phillips, Richards or Walcott. Sure he'll probably get some game time cause Chelsea need to be "seen" to be pushing a home-grown talent like him through. We have a large amount of talent coming through but it takes time and is more miss than hit. Technically we have much better players, maybe they are just not big enough yet. Surely you'd throw Matic in there first or does he have to be "home-grown" like Fabregas??

You've misunderstood my point COMPLETELY. I'm not saying we should start McEachran now but I'm saying when we have these players who look to be ready to compete in first team action we should put them in against teams who are in the bottom half of the table, teams like Wigan, West Ham, Wolves ect. These are good teams to let young players play again because they can play with the senior players too.

Young players need to be given the chance to see what Premier League football is like, it tells the players and coaches what individual players need to work on. For example, Josh would figure out he needs to bulk up, so he'd realise that on his own and put in the time and effort.

Honestly speaking, I don't think Josh has gone through puberty yet, his body just isn't able at the moment lol.

Well that's what it looks like anyway

It's early day lads, we'l see how we're looking with the youth halfway through the season to really guage if there's a change with Carlo and youth or not, our younger players should be getting regular sub appearances up until December

^ Those types of comments are from the same people that gladly cheer his name when he scores lol.

I like Kalou for the fact that he looks like he wants to take on a player, he has the fight and I think last season he improved loads

Agreed. I'm sure they were all cheering and singing Kalous praises when he scored a hat trick against stoke end of last season for instance. Seems like an easy target for people like that, he has his good games and his bad games, but when he has a bad game, its completely ignored who else had a bad game, and all the blame is put on Kalou in here, and he should be sold, he's shit etc. He's a great player, and i'll keep defending him because i honestly believe he's worth defending, because he's a talented young player.

You've misunderstood my point COMPLETELY. I'm not saying we should start McEachran now but I'm saying when we have these players who look to be ready to compete in first team action we should put them in against teams who are in the bottom half of the table, teams like Wigan, West Ham, Wolves ect. These are good teams to let young players play again because they can play with the senior players too.

Young players need to be given the chance to see what Premier League football is like, it tells the players and coaches what individual players need to work on. For example, Josh would figure out he needs to bulk up, so he'd realise that on his own and put in the time and effort.

Point taken but you said "vs teams such as Wigan why not start McEachran with Lampard?", so, with Wigan away this weekend and Wilshere starting last weekend as your comparison I don't think I misunderstood completely, it seemed quite clear with what you said, or did you mean next season?

tbh playing against the first team players in training will give them some kind of idea of the physical limits they have. Like you, I'm looking forward to the day they do give them a go though : ))

Point taken but you said "vs teams such as Wigan why not start McEachran with Lampard?", so, with Wigan away this weekend and Wilshere starting last weekend as your comparison I don't think I misunderstood completely, it seemed quite clear with what you said, or did you mean next season?

tbh playing against the first team players in training will give them some kind of idea of the physical limits they have. Like you, I'm looking forward to the day they do give them a go though : ))

Yeah sorry, I just realised my mistake whistling.gif

My suggestion of starting McEachran vs Wigan was hypothetical. When we get youth players ready these are the types of games we should be playing. So you're right in the sense Josh isn't a good example to make.

Agreed. I'm sure they were all cheering and singing Kalous praises when he scored a hat trick against stoke end of last season for instance. Seems like an easy target for people like that, he has his good games and his bad games, but when he has a bad game, its completely ignored who else had a bad game, and all the blame is put on Kalou in here, and he should be sold, he's shit etc. He's a great player, and i'll keep defending him because i honestly believe he's worth defending, because he's a talented young player.

This is what it comes down to so much, it's because he's not up there with the best players in the world whereas the rest of the starting XI are, and that's the root of peoples hate for him, I don't mind though, if the club felt he should go then they would've sold him

As far as Kalou is concerned, when he scores and the cynicism of our more fickle supporters is forgotten when they celebrate, the people sticking up for him will have double the reason to smile.

People not sticking for him will also have a reason to smile when he'll play poorly like he usually does :)