The Pub - Discuss Anything

Manuf

LOL at people thinking that throwing a dog from the rooftop is the worst thing ever.. Bitch please, come live in Syria to get a whole new perspective on violence. :)

Yes,you are right,but I do not live in Syria and I do not want to live in Syria either.It is the worst video I have ever seen.I am sure that there a other videos that are more cruel than that,but I do not want to see that.There are also cruel places like Guantanamo,in which I also do not want to live.

These guys did that cruel thing just for fun and that makes me really sad.That dog did not even hurt them.Our world is just sick.This video openend the eyes of a 17 year old boy.

Yes,you are right,but I do not live in Syria and I do not want to live in Syria either.It is the worst video I have ever seen.I am sure that there a other videos that are more cruel than that,but I do not want to see that.There are also cruel places like Guantanamo,in which I also do not want to live.

These guys did that cruel thing just for fun and that makes me really sad.That dog did not even hurt them.Our world is just sick.This video openend the eyes of a 17 year old boy.

I'm sure the people living in Syria atm don't want to live in Syria either :lol: I'm a huge animal lover but there are sooo much more disturbing things in this world than killing a dog. There was a video last month of a fighter in Syria who, after killing a man, cuts out his heart and takes a bite out of it on camera. So, I guess the point is the world is a million times worse than you think it is. You can either come to terms with that fact or pretend it isn't true.

I heard Apoel got robbed. Poor guys. Got a friend whose a huge fan of them. He's distraught.

Btw I downloaded this game for Android called "Surviving High School" It's actually amazing and seems really popular but I'm trying to find a way to download the other episodes since u have to pay for the other episodes.

LOL at people thinking that throwing a dog from the rooftop is the worst thing ever.. Bitch please, come live in Syria to get a whole new perspective on violence. :)

I'm sure the people living in Syria atm don't want to live in Syria either :lol: I'm a huge animal lover but there are sooo much more disturbing things in this world than killing a dog. There was a video last month of a fighter in Syria who, after killing a man, cuts out his heart and takes a bite out of it on camera. So, I guess the point is the world is a million times worse than you think it is. You can either come to terms with that fact or pretend it isn't true.

one things doesn't make the other not valid though.

There are all kinds of cruelty in the world - not only modern world but since like... forever.

I really dislike the argument that just because it's an animal, a dog and not a starving baby in Africa or a war victim we should overlook 'minor' cruelties. Actually I believe that's how things escalated. By people thinking whatever isn't as cruel or bad as this other thing and they just kept going and by having someone else doing something much worse, they think it's okay to do the 'less bad'. To use the same expression, bitch please...

I don't need - or want - to live in Syria or do I need to watch children starving to death to know what cruelty or violence is.

I just saw on my cousin's house - something I wouldn't have seen on mine as I don't watch television - that a woman took a pregnant woman to a public hospital, got her baby delivered and then somehow she got the woman and the baby out of the hospital, killed the mother (strangled) and took the baby away. A couple of years ago a woman married to a business guy suspected he cheated on her (or something) and killed him, literally ripped him in small pieces and got rid of the pieces by filling suitcases. Or how last week some rich boys set a homeless guy that was sleeping on the street on fire! That happened here in Brazil, so I don't need to go to Africa, Asia, Middle East to know what cruelty and violence is, neither does it have to be directed to humans alone. So yeah, I totally get his point and I can be shocked by that without having someone lecturing me that I don't know what cruelty or violence is.

one things doesn't make the other not valid though.

There are all kinds of cruelty in the world - not only modern world but since like... forever.

I really dislike the argument that just because it's an animal, a dog and not a starving baby in Africa or a war victim we should overlook 'minor' cruelties. Actually I believe that's how things escalated. By people thinking whatever isn't as cruel or bad as this other thing and they just kept going and by having someone else doing something much worse, they think it's okay to do the 'less bad'. To use the same expression, bitch please...

I don't need - or want - to live in Syria or do I need to watch children starving to death to know what cruelty or violence is.

I just saw on my cousin's house - something I wouldn't have seen on mine as I don't watch television - that a woman took a pregnant woman to a public hospital, got her baby delivered and then somehow she got the woman and the baby out of the hospital, killed the mother (strangled) and took the baby away. A couple of years ago a woman married to a business guy suspected he cheated on her (or something) and killed him, literally ripped him in small pieces and got rid of the pieces by filling suitcases. Or how last week some rich boys set a homeless guy that was sleeping on the street on fire! That happened here in Brazil, so I don't need to go to Africa, Asia, Middle East to know what cruelty and violence is, neither does it have to be directed to humans alone. So yeah, I totally get his point and I can be shocked by that without having someone lecturing me that I don't know what cruelty or violence is.

1. I never said it was okay to do the "less bad" which is throwing a dog from a rooftop. I only said it shouldn't be seen as the worst thing in the world because there are much much much much much worse things.

2. I never said people need/should live in my country, it was pretty much figure of speech to prove point #1.

3. I never said people outside of my country do not know what violence is, I was talking about their perspective, and that people atrociously can be more retarded and heartless.. because someone eating someone else's heart after killing/chopping them or a kid chopping off a man's head (for religious, sectarian or political reasons) are worse examples of than cheating crimes or a bunch of drunk immature kids setting a poor man on fire.

I would like to never speak about this again until further notice, thank you very much. :)

1. I never said it was okay to do the "less bad" which is throwing a dog from a rooftop. I only said it shouldn't be seen as the worst thing in the world because there much much much much much worse things.

2. I never said people need/should live in my country, it was pretty much figure of speech to prove point #1.

3. I never said people outside of my country do not know what violence is, I was talking about their perspective, and that people atrociously can be more retarded and heartless.. because someone eating someone else's heart after killing/chopping them or a kid chopping off a man's head (for religious, sectarian or political reasons) are worse examples of than cheating crimes or a bunch of drunk immature kids setting a poor man on fire.

I would like to never speak about this again until further notice, thank you very much. :)

1) I didn't say you said it was okay. What I meant is that maybe the drunk guys set the poor man on fire because they think it's not like we're eating his heart or chopping him alive as people do it wherever else. that's what I meant. The criminals do minor cruelties because they think they aren't as bad as some others. It's the thinking that is wrong and as the cruelty is reaching new levels what many considered the cruelest a few decades ago now could be overlooked by many. I feel like people think it's okay to kill someone because they thought they were cheating or because they're homeless and poor. At the end of the day lives were taken - without a right - the reason doesn't matter.

2) I know it's a figure of speech, but we both know you implied that if people lived/visited Syria they would change their concept about violence/cruelty. Which they probably would, but my point is terrible things happen everywhere and I for one think that a guy armed to the bones entering a pre-school and killing dozens of children is much worse than anything you can tell me that happened in your country... anything (unless it's a guy armed entering a school and killing kids), but I would never tell you to have a reality check about it because it's still very cruel and shows how the human race is degenerated.

3) I think the bold part is wrong in so many levels, that yeah... we better never speak about this again.

I know things are terrible in Syria (and many other countries) and maybe we look spoiled, pathetic, naive, stupid for feeling bad about a dog (I'm not saying you're implying he is any of those things though). To someone that had seen/lived/been subjected to much worse maybe killing a dog for sport or setting a man on fire for the same reason wouldn't shock them (again not saying that's your case) because their skin became much thicker... just try to understand that for someone else it's shocking and they don't need to learn about worse things - actually they shouldn't learn about worse things, nobody should nobody should have a new perspective about violence as you suggested, not you, not him, not me. My whole point is just that the boy has a right to feel terrible about human kind because of a dog - and use a figure of speech to say so - without someone giving him shit for that. He came here to vent because at that moment he felt like shit, instead he's lectured and belittled. I understand where you coming from, it's just nice to try to understand where he's coming from as well. I feel bad for him after reading the posts I saw here... that's why I posted, not to decide what's worse and what's not, but to say it's okay for him to feel bad about something "so small".

This is a futile debate. Ethics are made by mankind and used by mankind. You cannot say one position is right and another is wrong. It depends on the context and if your ethical position. If you are a utilitarian it is the amount of sorrow that determines whoch os worse. If you are a deontologist - the rule 'do no harm' can apply to aimals as well - making it humancentric to exclude animals. I can go on for hours on this .... But i ope you get the point.

As much as someone can be shocked by an animal abuse video, i can certainly relate to @voltage. His context and the ethical,reference frame is quite different.

I see no reason to lecture any of the boys or give them shit. I think Voltage is allowed his opinion on this.

Dammit, made it 10 months without a cold or a flu.. but to get a flu in August? :o Oops, if you feel lectured about being sick then I'm sorry... not!

@Barbara I mean what the hell? I posted an opinion in 2 sentences without quoting anybody and then you take that as lecturing? Why didn't you see it as a way for me to vent as well? (I'm allowed to vent as much as him or anybody else out here as far as I'm concerned). I then quoted the guy in the next post (which you completely ignored) and took something positive from his words, so that I don't make him feel I'm being an asshole towards him (which is the opposite of what you thought I was doing).

Dammit, made it 10 months without a cold or a flu.. but to get a flu in August? :o Oops, if you feel lectured about being sick then I'm sorry... not!

@Barbara I mean what the hell? I posted an opinion in 2 sentences without quoting anybody and then you take that as lecturing? Why didn't you see it as a way for me to vent as well? (I'm allowed to vent as much as him or anybody else out here as far as I'm concerned). I then quoted the guy in the next post (which you completely ignored) and took something positive from his words, so that I don't make him feel I'm being an asshole towards him (which is the opposite of what you thought I was doing).

If it's a way for you to vent, great, but it sounded more like someone laughing (given the laugh) on someone else for being shocked by something as little as people killing a dog for sport and asking them to have a reality check by going to live in a conflicted area. My bad then - it must be the greatness of written communication where the tone and the purpose get lost easily. I felt like he was being given a reality check of what he should call violence and cruelty. Guess I was wrong :)

At least now a 17yo is convinced the world is a sick place, so mission accomplished?

At least now a 17yo is convinced the world is a sick place, so mission accomplished?

I quite disagree - that would be a sick mission in itself. I would prefer it give a 17 year old hope. The world is what it is and it is actually less violent and cruel than it has ever been (see reference below). But we only see the now in a world where everything is filmed, spread viral, announced on the news again and again. The age of hystery and panic.

For those interested - MIT's Steven Pinker on the subject

The website:

http://www.edge.org/3rd_culture/pinker07/pinker07_index.html

The book in pdf:

http://www.law.yale.edu/documents/pdf/Intellectual_Life/LTW-Pinker.pdf

The TED talk

And get better soon, sweetie! Flus suck

Stingray as I said, tone and purpose get lost easily on written communication. You didn't understand me at all. Not worth digging the subject though. K and I already understood each other - actually, I understood his point as I had misunderstood him at first.