Anelka - latest deal to hit a snag?

misschief

Nicolas Anelka’s contract talks with Chelsea have stalled, according to a report in the News of the World this morning.

The French striker has a deal at Stamford Bridge until the end of season 2010/2011 and is reportedly eager for a 40,000 pound increase on his wages to £120,000-a-week.

Neil Ashton reports in the News of the World that "New Chelsea chief executive Ron Gourlay has been instructed to trim the club's exorbitant wage bill by Roman Abramovich. Anelka wants a £40,000-a-week increase on his £80,000-a-week wages, but Gourlay is operating under huge budget restrictions."

Anelka has been in scintillating form this season, scoring 10 goals in 22 matches in the Premier League and Champions League for Chelsea.

Chelsea made a rod for their own backs a long time ago. As far as I'm concerned, whilst it makes sense to address this with any new signings and not agree stupid contracts to start with, they won't (and shouldn't try to) get established players to accept deals that in no way reflect their worth in comparison to team-mates who earn silly money.

If they're prepared to risk losing players like Joe Cole and Nicolas Anelka, particularly when a ban will mean we have no hope in hell of replacing them, then the club are bigger dicks than I thought.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Offload Ballack and Deco, I guess together they both earn 10m a yr from the Club and are Past It and Old. Bring in New Players.....I also dont know what Paulo Ferriera is doing at the club. He is a Dead Wood and We could bring in Mancienne and Play him at that position instead of Ferriera. Belleti could be sold and instead we could bring in Rodwell or Play Cork or Mancienne.

Anelka has had a history of throwing tantrums and acting like a Dick. Not sure how will he react if he is told that the club cannot meet his demands. So Far he has been very good at the club.

Bearing in mind we're not signing anyone before we get the restraining order in place, I wouldn't have thought we were in a position to offload anyone, irrespective of who it is. It only takes a few injuries and we'd be fucked.

You're right, in the past Anelka hasn't hesitated to walk away from clubs but if Chelsea take the piss after the contribution he's made for us, then I really wouldn't blame him on this occasion.

Bearing in mind we're not signing anyone before we get the restraining order in place, I wouldn't have thought we were in a position to offload anyone, irrespective of who it is. It only takes a few injuries and we'd be fucked.

You're right, in the past Anelka hasn't hesitated to walk away from clubs but if Chelsea take the piss after the contribution he's made for us, then I really wouldn't blame him on this occasion.

We Can Sell Belleti, Ferrira, Kalou for sure. We have Mancienne, Cork, Matic, Sturridge to take those places.

Ballack and Deco could be sold for financial reasons cus we need to breal even in 3 yrs time or else we wont be allowed in Champions League.

Kakuta can take Deco's place for sure.

Also, Carvalho can go...as we have Ivanovic, Alex, terry, Rajkovic, Bruma and the likes.

We for the first time in many yrs have a goood back up squad so we could do away with the dead wood.

Comign to Anelka......I think a Salary of 110K for Him is good enough solely based on his performances in this season. I doubt he will leave us cus Finally he has found a club where he is enjoying his football and living up to the potential. Also, doubt any other coub would pay him 120000 apart from Man City. So Hopefully, he stays......

So with the title race as tight as it is you honestly think now's the right time to bring young, inexperienced players in? Of course we need to start bringing them through but shouldn't that be done gradually and through choice rather than end up in a position where we're having to throw a few of them out there together because we've allowed ourselves into a position where there's no strength in depth to our squad?

So with the title race as tight as it is you honestly think now's the right time to bring young, inexperienced players in? Of course we need to start bringing them through but shouldn't that be done gradually and through choice rather than end up in a position where we're having to throw a few of them out there together because we've allowed ourselves into a position where there's no strength in depth to our squad?

Ofcourse not....It would be crazy to offload those players in mid season. I am talking about offloading these players next season and giving our youth more chance. That way we can improve our financial figures and not waste big salaries on dead wood.

Its just the 4-5 players im talking about. Wouldnt make a world of difference to the squad.

It's still something we need to do slowly over a period of time and in all honesty, as much as I think players like Kalou and Deco are a waste of space (and money) most of the time, I'm still not sure we'd leave ouselves enough depth, especially when you're suggesting we offload Ballack, Ferreira and Belletti as well. Maybe I'm just cautious because of the ban.

On Belletti though - seeing as he's so match rusty most of the time, I think he does a brilliant job for us whenever he's called in. Good squad player.

It's still something we need to do slowly over a period of time and in all honesty, as much as I think players like Kalou and Deco are a waste of space (and money) most of the time, I'm still not sure we'd leave ouselves enough depth, especially when you're suggesting we offload Ballack, Ferreira and Belletti as well. Maybe I'm just cautious because of the ban.

On Belletti though - seeing as he's so match rusty most of the time, I think he does a brilliant job for us whenever he's called in. Good squad player.

I agree with you. Offloading our experienced player would be a crazy move in these current circumstances. In fact I will go as far to say that I wouldnt offload them until they retire.

Well Anelka's contract doesn't run out to the end of next season so there is no real rush on this deal and i am sure something will be sorted out. The thing is the club are under a fair bit of pressure to bring the wage bill down with FIFA threatening to bring in these new financial rules....

Plus Anelka's age makes it that bit more difficult to agree to a pay rise.