Nemanja Matic the man to fill the holding role at Chelsea

Carlo Ancelotti has identified Nemanja Matic as a player he can mould into a holding midfielder to solve one of Chelsea’s problem positions.

Ancelotti has tried John Mikel Obi, Michael Eessien, Juliano Belletti and Michael Ballack in the role without total satisfaction and is now short of options with Obi and Essien at the Africa Cup of Nations.

Matic, 21, has made rapid progress since signing from Slovak club MFK Kosice in the summer with a broken foot.

And Chelsea sporting director Frank Arnesen said: ‘With his old club he was a box-to-box midfielder, but Carlo sees he can play the holding position.

Source: Daily Mail

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Ancelotti has tried John Mikel Obi, Michael Eessien, Juliano Belletti and Michael Ballack in the role without total satisfaction and is now short of options with Obi and Essien at the Africa Cup of Nations.

what a loads of bollocks, typical daily mail, ancelotty said a while ago by himself that he thinks mikel ist the only player in europe he sees as his potential successor, and he has often enough said he belives in him as a player for the future, and i see it the same way, I think the DM will be shared between Matic and Mikel and Essien will be more an attacking minded player, and thats why ancelotti has taken him on board, as talented as matic is, i think moves a little bit like a log, yes for his tallness hes movement ist good, but generally spoken

further more i think its a slap in the face of our youngsters such as Cork, Clifford, Eachran and Kaby, like i said before, i think these three have the same abilitys but maybe matic is just so good and we cant see it, time will tell.

Edited by Clevemayer

Matic looks a class player, i thought he was initially brought in for the holding role, but in the reserves games he hasn't played there. I think he could do a very good job there, he is excellent on the ball and his passing is very good. Essien should be freed up from the holding role anyway, would like to see Cork given a go as i think he has a future with us still.

McEachran and Kaby will be no-where near the holding the role, it just isn't what their game is about. Clifford ultimately will be better suited to a box to box Essien/Lampard type player. For me to have Mikel, Matic and Cork fighting out for the holding role will be good to see.

Thing is will Ancelotti actually give Matic a go there during this period? I think maybe it could be too soon for him but i would like to see it.

Was matic a holding player? I was thought he was more of a Lampard-type of player, working hard in midfield, picking out passes. Matic IMO is more like a Lampard player. TBH, I do not feel he will do well in the DM role.

@esk

i thought of cork being preferred to matic, eachran and kaby, i think kaby did pretty well in the reserves playing this role, and he was great as OM too, Eachran and Connor are more box to box like Ess and Lamps.

It looks pretty possible that matic will have a go the next time, maybe tomorrow when everything is clear in the Hull gameand wir 2-0 or 3-0 Up at halftime.

I dont know i just cant help thinking he isnt mobile enough, Mikel looks like a ballerina compared to him:D :D :D but like i said maybe ive just not seen nough of him ingame... and we're thinking the same, cork just deserves it, I think he could be the next Terry and Mancienne could be the next Carv, if he dosent stop working on himself...

Edited by Clevemayer

@esk

i thought of cork being preferred to matic, eachran and kaby, i think kaby did pretty well in the reserves playing this role, and he was great as OM too, Eachran and Connor are more box to box like Ess and Lamps.

It looks pretty possible that matic will have a go the next time, maybe tomorrow when everything is clear in the Hull gameand wir 2-0 or 3-0 Up at halftime.

I dont know i just cant help thinking he isnt mobile enough, Mikel looks like a ballerina compared to him:D :D :D but like i said maybe ive just not seen nough of him ingame... and we're thinking the same, cork just deserves it, I think he could be the next Terry and Mancienne could be the next Carv, if he dosent stop working on himself...

Matic is a lot more mobile than he looks, he is seen as a Ballack type player by a lot of people and i can certainly see why. But he could be very good in the holding role, Mikel was never taylor made for the holding role he was more attack minded.

McEachran and Kaby would be completely wasted in the DM role, the only times they have played there it is to give them experience and more to their game, there will be zero intention of ever playing them in that position for real..

Yes for Jack Cork should definately get a crack at it, a player i like a lot and i think can grow into that role. Hopefully while he is back Ancelotti will see he is a worth a crack.

@esk

ok i totally agree with you our youthguru...

I have to thank you, your the first and only place i can still my hunger about our youth, the work on our official hp on the youth side was quite awful till this year :delight: :delight: :delight:

Edited by Clevemayer

Ancelloti is trying to mould him into a holding Midfield Player. I am guessing by that he means, a more Pirlo, Alonso like rather than Makalele or Gattuso type.

Ancelloti converted Pirlo from an Attack Midfielder to a Defensive Playmaker who sprays the passes from the bottom of the midfield..And I bet he is doing the same with Matic. People have been talking about Kakuta and Borini and Sturridge but Wilkins has mentioned Matic to watch out for as he has been the best of all in the training.

Cork for me would be the type who would do the dirty work. I look at him as more of a Utility Man who can fill up gaps in defense and Midfield. Sadly its between him and Mancienne. I cannot see both of them together making it to the first team squad.

Mikel thrives in 4-3-3 but in Diamond he has more space to cover as you dont have wingers to track back and hence has struggled at times.

Connor Clifford for me is the next best thing in the midfield after Lampard and Essien. He looks such a dynamic player. Typical Box to Box like Gerrard, Lampard, Essien. He has a good shot on goal as well. I wouldnt waste him at the bottom of the midfield.