Why The Desire For Youth?

Matterz

Why is it that we all have this burning desire to bring a young superstar to the club? People talk of Aguero and Pato and how amazing it would be to sign these players. I can see why, they have exceptional talent. But to me it feels the main reason people want these guys so deserately is their age. Why is this? Particularily that they are strikers? Looking at our current crop of forwards, Drogba 31, Anelka 30, Kalou 24, Di Santo, Sturridge and Stoch are all 20 and Borini and Kakuta are both 18. It seems to me as though we have an abundance of youth at our disposal. So why are we craving someone like Aguero 21 or Pato 20 or Hamsik 22 or even Dzagoev 19 and not so much a slightly older, more experienced player like Ribery or Villa? Actually looking at it, Villa who is 28 and Ribery who is 26 would give us great balance in my opinion. As one prolific striker retires and has two or three years left to take up the mantle and then pass it onto the next. what would happen if we only invested in these youngsters? surely some would need to be sold instead of nurtured and moulded?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, i'm in fact more a fan of our own youngsters, but i think that people want someone who has already established himself in topflight football AND is a young player (like Aguero & Pato).

Well thats my point, why do they have to be young? We already have young players why the desire for it?

Why is it that we all have this burning desire to bring a young superstar to the club? People talk of Aguero and Pato and how amazing it would be to sign these players. I can see why, they have exceptional talent. But to me it feels the main reason people want these guys so deserately is their age. Why is this? Particularily that they are strikers? Looking at our current crop of forwards, Drogba 31, Anelka 30, Kalou 24, Di Santo, Sturridge and Stoch are all 20 and Borini and Kakuta are both 18. It seems to me as though we have an abundance of youth at our disposal. So why are we craving someone like Aguero 21 or Pato 20 or Hamsik 22 or even Dzagoev 19 and not so much a slightly older, more experienced player like Ribery or Villa? Actually looking at it, Villa who is 28 and Ribery who is 26 would give us great balance in my opinion. As one prolific striker retires and has two or three years left to take up the mantle and then pass it onto the next. what would happen if we only invested in these youngsters? surely some would need to be sold instead of nurtured and moulded?

Yes you have a great point. I also think that yongsters should be brought through our own academy. So that when we go into the transfer market we look for more experienced established players not for young players that we still have to nurture. Think of it from a psychological point of view, who would our opponents fear more? David Villa and Ribery or Hamsik and Aguero.

Yes you have a great point. I also think that yongsters should be brought through our own academy. So that when we go into the transfer market we look for more experienced established players not for young players that we still have to nurture. Think of it from a psychological point of view, who would our opponents fear more? David Villa and Ribery or Hamsik and Aguero.

Blueman its all about investments, we should in vest in player who can still improve. I don't like us buying finished articles its not good. I also understand you can not have a team full of young players (like arsenal) its not good. So buying a few expierenced players is ok but lets not go over board.