Cole and Ferreira nearing fitness

Joe Cole and Paulo Ferreira's rehabilitation from knee injury took another step towards completion today (Friday) when they successfully came through a training ground match.

Cobham has been stripped of international footballers this week but the two much-capped players took part in a 60-minute game alongside and against a mix of Chelsea reserve and youth team squad members. Ross Turnbull and Hilario were the goalkeepers.

The outcome was 2-1 with Cole and Ferreira on the losing side, although the England midfielder did score his side's goal, netting after Ross Turnbull had done well to parry an Adam Phillip shot.

0,,10268~7049318,00.jpg

A personal duel between Cole and Turnbull was a sub-plot to the game. In the first-half Cole struck a post in following-up after another Turnbull save and after he had equalised, he saw an effort tipped onto the post by the recently-arrived keeper, Austrian striker Philipp Prosenik turning the rebound wide.

Early in the game Hilario tipped over a lob from Fabio Borini, but the Italian centre-forward continued on from his scoring form in the reserves this week by netting both the winning side's goals.

His first was slotted home after good work from Kaby and the winner, after Cole's equaliser, came after Hilario had initially halted the striker's run, but Borini emerged with the ball to finish.

0,,10268~7049319,00.jpg

Paulo Ferreira naturally was at right-back and looked full of running while in front of a watching Carlo Ancelotti, Cole played centrally behind the strikers.

'It's nice to be playing football again,' said Cole after the match. 'But I am under no illusions and this doesn't mean I am declaring myself fit. I am going to take every day as it comes and this game was part of the rehab. I am just trying to keep the knee strong and keep going forward.'

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As much as I dunt wanna see Deco being taken off when he is on song, I badly wanna see Joey play at the tip of the diamond for a few games.. That for me is his best position !! He has told before that he is looking for a central position on a long term as someone who wants to share the goal scoring burden of lamps and for me he is THE MAN to do it...