blueboy9

I think Cook wants a lead of 900 just in case of an Aussie fight-back.

Everyone might be saying that Cook is being overly conservative. I disagree - he's rubbing Australia's noses in it. He'll see if Root can get to his 200 tomorrow morning and then declare with a 600 lead at lunch, you'd imagine. Then he has five sessions to bowl the Aussies out. Ideal.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ which is unusual, as if you were going to put money on the Aussies winning at least one game, it would have been the Lord's test; they have a very good record there.

Yeah, Clarke at the toss said this is like a "home game". Well, this is not how you play on your "home ground". :D

They won't though because they will want root to get his 200.

I would say to root, you have 20 mins, then i'm declaring. We already have 250 more than we probably need, only 4 teams have ever chased more than 400 or something.

They won't though because they will want root to get his 200.

I would say to root, you have 20 mins, then i'm declaring. We already have 250 more than we probably need, only 4 teams have ever chased more than 400 or something.

That is very harsh. Take in consideration, you have a boy who is on the verge on scoring a double ton in an Ashes series at Lord's. You can't give him an ultimatum to score his 200 in a said time. Just let him know that we intend to declare as early as possible, then leave it to him. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity for any batsman.

That is very harsh. Take in consideration, you have a boy who is on the verge on scoring a double ton in an Ashes series at Lord's. You can't give him an ultimatum to score his 200 in a said time. Just let him know that we intend to declare as early as possible, then leave it to him. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity for any batsman.

Yeah true. But this is the Ashes. Winning the test is very important. He is lucky we are even going back out there. They are never gonna hit 550 so we just need as much time as possible. Sure it would be great to see him get there. But its like a lot of things. Taking off a player on a hatrick to shut up shop. The game and the team has to come first.

Yeah true. But this is the Ashes. Winning the test is very important. He is lucky we are even going back out there. They are never gonna hit 550 so we just need as much time as possible. Sure it would be great to see him get there. But its like a lot of things. Taking off a player on a hatrick to shut up shop. The game and the team has to come first.

I agree with you on "team comes first" thing but you will still have full 5 sessions to bowl out a team who couldn't even score 150 in the first innings! That for me is an ample time, especially with Jimmy and Swann in your ranks. Give the boy his moment of glory, something he will tell his grandchildren!

I agree with you on "team comes first" thing but you will still have full 5 sessions to bowl out a team who couldn't even score 150 in the first innings! That for me is an ample time, especially with Jimmy and Swann in your ranks. Give the boy his moment of glory, something he will tell his grandchildren!

Yeah 99/100 we could bat til lunch and it wouldn't make a difference. But if we declare now its 999/1000 we win, so its unecessary risk.

That being said, i do want him to get there. But if your in charge your the one who will look like the biggest idiot if they end up scraping a draw.

What is England doing here? Keep taking singles of the last ball. Just keep root on strike ffs. We don't need any more runs. Wouldn't surprise me if the aussies purposely dropped root to keep him in there. Just really wasting time.