Grant- Ready To Buy If Quality Is Right‏

Steve

Ferreira always does a solid job imo, and is decent enough back up to have.

but it could be problem when Essien and Mikel go to ACN than we just have Lampard, Ballack, Makelele and poor Sidwell.
What about Joe Cole and SWP. We also have Sahar and Sinclair coming back from loan for January. If we are gonna be missing Drogba then we will have to change our formation. Sheva I feel cannot play the Drogba role and would need a partner alonside him, so if we go 4-4-2 with Sheva and Pizarro up front. A midfield of Lampard, Makalele, Joe Cole and SWP we should do ok.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well the point is that with 3 central midfielders you should have in an ideal world a holding midfielder, a box to box midfielder and an advanced playmaker. With a holding midfielder (Mikel/Maka) and 2 box to box midfield grafters (Essien/Lampard/Ballack) i feel we are lacking somewhat. Obviously we have a lot of midfielders, but i feel it is time to sign someone who play the creative role at the expense of someone in the squad.
Mikel (dm) Essien (box to box) Lampard (attacking) who would you drop then ? ? ?

'It will not be a problem of money, it will be a problem of quality.
So last season when we were desperately short of cover, there wasnt any money coming forward and yet this season its not an issue. Funny that! I know they'll say he's a new manager and needs to bring in his own players etc, but it just grates after what went on the same time last year.
Even with the African Nations, we do not want to take players that will not be good for us in the long term.'
Another dig? Or maybe just a subtle hint at Roman not to invite any more of his mates over?

Mikel (dm) Essien (box to box) Lampard (attacking) who would you drop then ? ? ?
Lampard is not and has never been an attacking midfielder. He is the ultimate box to box midfielder, the amount of ground he covers is staggering, and more often than not you will see him pick the ball up well in our own half, the fact he scores a s**t load of goals doesn't mean he is an attacking midfielder.
For the sake of playing a different, more inventive system, Mikel, move Essien to defensive midfield.
I agree, as far as our squad would go for next season with the "2 for each position" we stick to i would like to see DM = Mikel/Essien , CM = Lampard/Ballack , AM = J.Cole/New player. Like you say it would encourage a more inventive system of play.
So last season when we were desperately short of cover, there wasnt any money coming forward and yet this season its not an issue. Funny that! I know they'll say he's a new manager and needs to bring in his own players etc, but it just grates after what went on the same time last year.
I thought everyone came out and said there WAS money available last January (and there certainly was in the summer) it was more of a case of not wanting to get ripped off as clubs were asking stupid money like Bolton for Ben Haim when he had a few months left on his contract...
Even with the African Nations, we do not want to take players that will not be good for us in the long term.'
I can't see how this can be viewed as a dig? It is more like stating the bleeding obvious really......

Ballack to a certain extent can be a playmaker but not in the way that we really need. Lampard and Ballack are the ultimate box to bo midfielders, they are not the sort of players who are going to create a piece of magic on the ball and tease their way forward. These sorts of players are the ones like Kaka, Deco, Modric ect... who have real creativity.
Hii think kaka would be the best choice for us , as deco ? i think lamps & ballack will do for now , and modric i have not seen enough off , but its a exciting time & important one

Hii think kaka would be the best choice for us , as deco ? i think lamps & ballack will do for now , and modric i have not seen enough off , but its a exciting time & important one
If we are talking playmakers then Lamps and Ballack won't do, because neither of them are. The only one we have is Joe Cole who doesn't get played there. Kaka unless he is desperate to leave AC we will never get....

If we are talking playmakers then Lamps and Ballack won't do, because neither of them are. The only one we have is Joe Cole who doesn't get played there. Kaka unless he is desperate to leave AC we will never get....
Hii think i diagree as lamp & ballack cut up defences by clever passes , cole cuts up midfield by a bit of wing trickery , different but important , so in my book i have lamp & ballack to pass ,and a lot of wingers swp , cole , kalau , maloude , so i think we need a forward 1st

well we saw from the game this morning that grant does not really no what hes doing, will he make bad decisions when it comes to buying players as well or will he make some smart decisions? lets hope he buys a decent striker