Ferguson: Wembley not fit for my stars

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/...e.html?ITO=1490

Sir Alex Ferguson blamed a dodgy Wembley pitch for his decision to play a reserve team in an FA Cup semi-final.

Ferguson's Manchester United team saw their dreams of a five-trophy season go up in smoke as a second-string team lost a penalty shootout to Everton.

The United manager pointed the finger at Wembley, echoing complaints of the weekend's other semi-final loser, Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger.

Ferguson said: 'We had a team picked after Wednesday's game in Porto but when I saw the pitch yesterday I didn't want to go into extra time with our strongest squad.

'I couldn't let that happen because of the affect it could have.

'We had to take the bold decision of going with the younger ones but Berbatov and Scholes would have started, possibly Evra, too.

'Looking at the pitch, it looked dead and today it looked the same. It looked spongey and dead and difficult to move the ball about quickly.

'You'd think the lights would help the growth and standard of the pitch, but it looked dead to me. You couldn't risk it.'

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The pitch sucked. Agreed.

But the way he said it (Yes, I heard the interview) made it seem loike he was in fact blaming it....even with his "I am not blaming it" speech before

It's kind of like saying "With all due respect" before you disrespect someone