Hiddinks Warning

Virgin

Hiddink's warning to Blues

Guus Hiddink has warned Chelsea the hard work is yet to come if they are to overcome Juventus and progress to the quarter-finals of the Champions League.

Striker Didier Drogba gave Chelsea a slender advantage ahead of their last-16 second leg contest in Turin in a fortnight with a 12th minute winner at Stamford Bridge.

"It is good to have a clean sheet because Juventus now have to try and score," said Hiddink.

"We will try to score there, but it will be difficult.

"Juve are smart and are always dangerous around the box. It will be hard."

Hiddink had no complaints about goal hero Drogba, who was marginalised by predecessor Luiz Felipe Scolari.

The Dutchman insists he has never had a problem with the Ivorian's commitment or motivation since he succeeded the Brazilian.

"I cannot and will not talk about the past because I was not here to judge, but what I normally ask from professional players is to be very committed," added Hiddink.

"There has not been one player that I have had to motivate. If I had to motivate a player, then I think I start fighting with him or neglecting him.

"I have not had this problem at all with Drogba. From the first day I was here, he enjoyed training and worked hard. He worked hard against Villa and again against Juventus. I don't have any problems with under-motivated players."

Drogba did look like he was right up for this game. I saw on a few occassions when he was whooping the fans up to get a bit of atmosphere when we'd won a few corners. Good to see a bit of the old Drog back and chomping at the bit.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep Drogba looked really up for it last night, not seen that in a while.

As for Hiddink's comments he's right first half we were good but second half could see what i hope to call the "old Chelsea" creeping in slightly

Interim Chelsea boss and Russia coach Guus Hiddink says his squad is not fit enough to be winning the UEFA Champions League title, despite them achieving a “strategic victory” over Juve by 1-0 at the Bridge last night.

Talking to the media after the game, the Dutchman would suggest the team needed more in order to achieve. “I’m satisfied with the result but, overall, I’m not satisfied.

"We’re not “top top” in terms of fitness. The physical level is good but in these high-level games you must be more than top.

“We were too anxious after the goal. If we’d continued as we started we could have gone on and scored another goal - but we didn’t do that.

“At the end the team were tired. The functionality of the team was not there in the latter part of the game.

“After the goal we dropped back too far, leaving too much distance between the defence, midfield and attack - which meant Juventus could play in between our lines very intelligently.”

And finally: “Drogba has responded very well.”

Drogba has now become Chelsea’s top scorer in Europe with last night’s goal being his 20th in 50 games.