Opinion: How Thomas Tuchel could line up in a 4-3-3 to help create more

James

Thomas Tuchel has admitted that his side are struggling to create and attack with any kind of real threat right now after they only managed one shot on target against Brentford and just five attempts on goal. It would be amazing if you guys subscribed for my project over at Si & Dan Talk Chelsea, where […]

View the full article

We need to find some balance.

Some members have been spot on regarding what adding Lukaku would do to the team. In this current system, we aren't creating that much with Lukaku up top as opposed to the interchangeable front 3 we had. 

433 would work against some sides but we are still incredibly weak in defensive transition given the lack of quality in the DM department. We also don't know if Rudiger, Christensen, Chalobah can perform at their same level in a regular back 4. 

2 hours ago, MoroccanBlue said:

I'm also on the boat of not believing we fail to create much because we have one extra CB instead of a midfielder. 

Exactly. Thats just a lazy way to look at it.

We created more chances last season but lets not pretend it was all rosy and amazing football too, people quick to point out Lukaku’s impact on this team in a bad way but also forget whilst we created a lot of chances last season, it wasn’t exactly all great free flowing football, a lot of it was counter attacking moves and when we had to break down 10 behind the ball we still struggled. A lot.

The biggest issues are the lack of penetration in midfield, the wingbacks and the two behind the CF for me.

The wingbacks don’t get at their men. The midfielders barring Jorginho, don’t really play through the lines enough. The mixture of players we can play off the CF, who is consistent enough? Who is going to create chances every week? Who is capable of going and taking 1 or 2 players out of the game in dribbling situations in tight areas? I know Pulisic is fibreglass but his ability in 1 on 1’s is a huge miss for me.

2 hours ago, OneMoSalah said:

Exactly. Thats just a lazy way to look at it.

We created more chances last season but lets not pretend it was all rosy and amazing football too, people quick to point out Lukaku’s impact on this team in a bad way but also forget whilst we created a lot of chances last season, it wasn’t exactly all great free flowing football, a lot of it was counter attacking moves and when we had to break down 10 behind the ball we still struggled. A lot.

The biggest issues are the lack of penetration in midfield, the wingbacks and the two behind the CF for me.

The wingbacks don’t get at their men. The midfielders barring Jorginho, don’t really play through the lines enough. The mixture of players we can play off the CF, who is consistent enough? Who is going to create chances every week? Who is capable of going and taking 1 or 2 players out of the game in dribbling situations in tight areas? I know Pulisic is fibreglass but his ability in 1 on 1’s is a huge miss for me.

This season, we are 19th in the league in pressing in the opposition half. Last season, we were Top 5 in Europe....

Our inability to win the ball back and retain it in dangerous areas has reduced our ability to create chances to the extent we saw last season. 

9 minutes ago, MoroccanBlue said:

This season, we are 19th in the league in pressing in the opposition half. Last season, we were Top 5 in Europe....

Our inability to win the ball back and retain it in dangerous areas has reduced our ability to create chances to the extent we saw last season. 

Exactly. Its a collective issue. A massive one particularly compared to last season. I get we have the ability to see games out but we need to be proactive, not reactive, when recovering the ball. Second half v Spurs for instance we were much better in winning the ball back.