Scolari sees Ballack Boost

Joe Cool

Sky Sports

Luiz Felipe Scolari hopes Michael Ballack will be fit to replace the suspended Deco for Chelsea's next UEFA Champions League game against Bordeaux.

Deco will miss the trip to France on 26th November after being sent off in Tuesday's 3-1 defeat at Roma for picking up two yellow cards.

German international Ballack is the obvious replacement to come in for Deco, but has missed Chelsea's last six games after undergoing foot surgery.

However, Blues boss Scolari is keeping his fingers crossed that Ballack will be ready to return to the team in three weeks' time.

"Maybe I will have players back like Ballack for that game," said Scolari. "So I will still have quality in my midfield."

Mistakes

Reflecting on Chelsea's loss at the Stadio Olimpico, Scolari is keen for his players to learn from the mistakes which contributed to Roma's goals.

He added: "When you concede three goals like we did, you need to think about the next game. We need to work more and train more and maybe in the next game we will not make these mistakes.

"We had a few shots on goal in the first 30 minutes, but their goalkeeper made some good saves.

"We tried to come back in the second half with Didier Drogba, Nicolas Anelka and Salomon Kalou, but they closed us down very well.

"We cannot give clubs the space we did or make such mistakes. But I am not going to change my thinking just because of one game."

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Are we not going to appeal for Deco?

I don't think you can for 2 yellows, at least you can't in the Premier League. There wouldn't be much point anyway, the chances of it being over turned are very unlikely and we just run the risk of it being extended into the KO's.

Ballack will be a good replacement, Minero is also available remember.