How we know this Chelsea player is Frank Lampard’s first choice with two friendly games to go

James

Emerson AlonsoWhen Emerson Palmieri arrived at Chelsea, he knew he was set for a spell on the bench. At the time, Marcos Alonso was dominating the Premier League from his left wing back slot under Antonio Conte, and the Spaniard was rated among the best in his position in Europe for his marauding displays. Emerson had […]

View the full article

34 minutes ago, Jim said:

Emerson AlonsoWhen Emerson Palmieri arrived at Chelsea, he knew he was set for a spell on the bench. At the time, Marcos Alonso was dominating the Premier League from his left wing back slot under Antonio Conte, and the Spaniard was rated among the best in his position in Europe for his marauding displays. Emerson had […]

View the full article

Kepa, Rudiger, Emerson, Azpi, and Kante are the only 100% locks to be starters in most all games given a completely healthy squad. Hopefully CHO and Pulisic soon get there too.

Alonso offers almost nothing other than free kicks and height. Maybe an occasional goal, but so does Emerson, and his pace, defence, and crossing BLOW Alonso away

21 hours ago, Vesper said:

Kepa, Rudiger, Emerson, Azpi, and Kante are the only 100% locks to be starters in most all games given a completely healthy squad. Hopefully CHO and Pulisic soon get there too.

Alonso offers almost nothing other than free kicks and height. Maybe an occasional goal, but so does Emerson, and his pace, defence, and crossing BLOW Alonso away

I think James has chance against Azpi on RB. 

2 hours ago, NikkiCFC said:

I think James has chance against Azpi on RB. 

Yes, so do I, but it is very re-assuring that we have a proven (and a player who looks sharp so far under Lamps) starter atm in Azpi. I really wish (obviously) Reece had not picked up that injury, as this pre-season was very vital for him. The other injuries were to players already assured of first team play.

On 29/07/2019 at 0:19 PM, Vesper said:

I would argue Mount aswell, his intensity will be crucial to the way Frank wants to play. I know we have a lot better players around him but Derby lost the plot when Mason was injured last season mainly because they had no one capable of doing the tactical work he did and i'm not sure we do either.

13 minutes ago, Vesper said:

Yes, so do I, but it is very re-assuring that we have a proven (and a player who looks sharp so far under Lamps) starter atm in Azpi. I really wish (obviously) Reece had not picked up that injury, as this pre-season was very vital for him. The other injuries were to players already assured of first team play.

This will be considered blasphemous to many but if Lampard is planning on Azpi being first choice RB all season i would seriously consider sending him on loan to Palace (with an Ake style January recall option incase Azpi goes down or loses the plot), consistent game time trumps being cup cover for me.

2 minutes ago, Tomo said:

This will be considered blasphemous to many but if Lampard is planning on Azpi being first choice RB all season i would seriously consider sending him on loan to Palace (with an Ake style January recall option incase Azpi goes down or loses the plot), consistent game time trumps being cup cover for me.

A lot depends on what we do with Zappacosta and with Tomori (as Reece and Azpi would be the emergency CB's if Tomori is loaned out).