Watch and Learn

Having joined up late with the squad after international duty, Scott Sinclair is making up for lost time. The 19-year-old missed the first few days of our Asia tour due to being a part of the England under-19 squad for the European Championships, but is delighted to be back among his club team-mates, and picking up some new skills.

In training and matches to date, new signing Deco has been impressing players, staff and supporters with his instinctive, smart play and his abilities have not gone unnoticed with the youngster.

0,,10268~3733510,00.jpg

'Obviously he is a world class player and coming in and training with him is wicked, and it is every youngster's dream to play with these players,' Sinclair said.

'Being at Chelsea is a fantastic thing, not just for me but all the young players to learn from these amazing talents. Even if you don't make it you can go elsewhere and say that you learned from the best.'

Making it is exactly what is expected of the winger, who made seven appearances last season, scoring his first Chelsea goal away at Hull in the Carling Cup. He explains that his aims this season are to continue with that progress, and push a little harder for a regular slot.

'This season I would like to get as many games as possible, obviously I had a few last season and in the reserves, went on loan and I would like to get a few more this time around,' he said.

He took his first steps towards that with a sub appearance against a Malaysian XI in Kuala Lumpur on Tuesday, and afterwards discussed the message given to him from his new manager, Luiz Felipe Scolari.

'All he said was "good luck, all the best", because it was my first game under him. I was buzzing and couldn't wait to get out there.

'Obviously he is a great manager, you can see that from his record and hopefully I can do things right to impress him, and get more games this season,' the winger said.

Like Michael Ballack, Sinclair joined up late with the squad after prolonged international duty, but unlike the German who had enjoyed some holiday after Euro 2008, Sinclair came straight from England's under-19 squad, and could demonstrate a high level of match fitness already.

'We met up a week before the tournament with England and did a lot of fitness work at the hotel, and then some game-specific moves, so I am well up to speed on my fitness already,' he explained.

'The first day with the lads in the heat and humidity of China killed me though, and I was a bit jetlagged, but now I'm getting into it.

'This year is very different from last year in LA, different cultures and experiences, there's so much going on, but we are all getting on with it as one of the things we have to do before the season to ready ourselves for the competitions.'

After Chelsea's disappointments last season, and then missing out on play-off promotion while on loan with Crystal Palace, Sinclair has already suffered a little heartache this time around, having been knocked out in the group stages with England.

'It was disappointing because the Euros didn't go too well with the under-19s and I just wanted to come and meet up and get playing again. I didn't play too much and we didn't make it through the group stages, when we should have done with a strong group,' he admitted.

Now Sinclair is hoping there will be no further setbacks, and that his involvement will continue into the Russian Railways Cup when we meet Lokomotiv Moscow on Friday.

A full preview of the tournament will be appearing here on chelseafc.com on Thursday morning.

Source: Chelsea FC

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I have high hopes for Sinclair; off the current crop of youngsters in the youth and reserve teams, he and di Santo have impressed me and shown they possess the necessary quality to be very much a part of Scolari's long-term plans.

I have high hopes for Sinclair; off the current crop of youngsters in the youth and reserve teams, he and di Santo have impressed me and shown they possess the necessary quality to be very much a part of Scolari's long-term plans.

Time for him to really step up now, when he came on against Malaysia he looked up for it. He needs to show more of that mentality because he has tended to in the past dissapear in games, he needs to force himself onto games and he will get his chances.

There are still people round our way that are bitter as fuck that he was poached.

He was a product of the Bristol Rovers youth system since the age of 9, and made his first team debut for Bristol Rovers at the age of 15 against Orient . When Chelsea got him a tribunal awarded Bristol Rovers compensation in the amount of £200,000 and an extra £750,000 depending on how successful he is . Chelsea have to pay Bristol Rovers 15% of any profit they make if they sell him.

That said hes Chelsea, and a top talent for the future.

There are still people round our way that are bitter as fuck that he was poached.

He was a product of the Bristol Rovers youth system since the age of 9, and made his first team debut for Bristol Rovers at the age of 15 against Orient . When Chelsea got him a tribunal awarded Bristol Rovers compensation in the amount of £200,000 and an extra £750,000 depending on how successful he is . Chelsea have to pay Bristol Rovers 15% of any profit they make if they sell him.

That said hes Chelsea, and a top talent for the future.

The tribunal system is a tough one for the clubs down the divisions. That being said how do you put a price tag on potential? How much should they get ect?

This will be his third season involved with the first team and he really does now need to have a go at getting more starts. Hopefully he will make plenty of sub appearances this season which will certainly help.

The tribunal system is a tough one for the clubs down the divisions. That being said how do you put a price tag on potential? How much should they get ect?

This will be his third season involved with the first team and he really does now need to have a go at getting more starts. Hopefully he will make plenty of sub appearances this season which will certainly help.

It certainly is difficult to measure a players 'success' , and then have comensurate recompense paid as compensation. Doubtless, lawyers will have drawn up a scaled contract ...and charged their bit as well.

It's been a bit annoying that he hasnt had as many run outs as he could have -but has shown a of of skill when hes played

It certainly is difficult to measure a players 'success' , and then have comensurate recompense paid as compensation. Doubtless, lawyers will have drawn up a scaled contract ...and charged their bit as well.

It's been a bit annoying that he hasnt had as many run outs as he could have -but has shown a of of skill when hes played

Like i said, his main problem is that he tends to "dissapear" from games. He has all the tools to be an excellant winger for us, speed, skill and his finishing is top class - he needs playing time in the top flight to improve, hopefully he will get that this season.

Well if people are right, and Scolari likes blooding youngsters, not in a paedo sense, then he should get some more runouts

Well Scolari won't do it just for the sake of it. The players have still got to be of a high enough standard and impress him enough to warrant that chance!!