Scolari: I know my team

Scolari: I know my team

Chelsea coach Luiz Felipe Scolari has decided on his team to face Portsmouth in three weeks’ time and will use the Russian leg of the Blues’ pre-season tour to finalise his plans for the Premier League opener.

Prior to today’s third and final leg of Chelsea’s pre-season tour of Asia, the former Brazil coach revealed he had decided on 75% of the team who will line up at Stamford Bridge on August 17.

But following a 2-0 win over a Malaysian League Select XI in Kuala Lumpur, Scolari insisted he now has an idea of his starting XI – which he insists will satisfy owner Roman Abramovich’s desire for attacking football.

After completing their Asian tour with a 100% record, Chelsea jet off to Moscow to face Lokomotiv Moscow on August 1 and either Sevilla or AC Milan two days later in the Railway Cup.

“I need to test the players, but in Russia I will pick my team thinking about Portsmouth and I will not make more than three or four changes,” said Scolari.

“I am testing all my players, I only have 11 places available. I need to choose 11 for the game against Portsmouth.

“I need to look at the players and different formations, what position is the best for a player and what position I can use someone in during a game. If they try their best, it is my time to decide.

“I think I have my team for the first game against Portsmouth. I now have my ideas, not just after seeing the players on television. I know more about their personality on and off the field.

“Over the three games I have been able to see the players on the pitch so in the future, in a match situation, I know which player to use. The results are not important, it is match training, I need to look at the players and decide, yes or no.

“But I have the players who can play exciting football and I have the team who can be champions.”

Some positive words from the big man.

Was interesting him playing Essien at RB when Ferreira was available today. Could we see Essien playing RB against Portsmouth with Bosingwa possibly out?

The rest of the defence picks itself. Midfield, he seems intent on pairing Deco with Lampard. From there on its pot luck who he picks. Theres that many options available it would be practically impossible to second guess him.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I ont understand why everyone is hell bent on putting essien at RB. Ivanovic can play at the RB position too. Wondr why he isnt testing him there. As Far as Team for the first game is concerned.

--------------------------------------------Cech------------------------------------------------

-----Ferriera------------------------Terry------------Carvalho--------------------------Ashley---

--------------------------------------------Mikel------------------------------------------------

--------------------Essien---------------------------------------------------Deco---------------

---------------------------------------------Lampard--------------------------------------------

-----------------------------Drogba-----------------------Anelka--------------------------------

Formation:4-1-2-1-2

Subs: Ballack, Bridge, Alex, Kalou, Joe Cole.

Edited by warnie_666

I still think and hope that we'll see Ballack in the starting line up. Scolari should know what he can do after knocking Portugal out the last two tournaments.

Paulo/Bosingwa, JT, Carvalho, Ashley

Essien

Deco, Lampard

Ballack

Drogba, Anelka

or

Paulo/Bosingwa, JT, Carvalho, Ashley

Essien

Deco, Ballack, Lampard

Drogba, Anelka

I would at a guess say that Scolari's likely prefered line up would be something like:

..............................Cech........................

Bosingwa......Carvalho....Terry........A.Cole

...........................Essien..........................

...............Lampard........Ballack.................

...........................Deco............................

...............Drogba...........Anelka................

If everyone fully fit.