Who Should Take Over The Makelele Holding Role?

Who Should Take Over The Makelele Holding Role?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Who Should Take Over The Makelele Holding Role?

• Essien!
    • Mikel!
    • Nobody! Abandon it and be more adventurous!

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

either ways we have 3 positions for 5 quality midfield players. Not all of them are going to play all the matches.

That's good because these 'old codger's' need a rest eh?

Oh and I voted nobody because we should play 6 up front. :D

Edited by misschief

The people who say nobody, know nothing about football nothing at all.

And why is that?

I said nobody. Simple reason being that I don't think either Essien or Mikel are suited to replace Makelele. They are different types of players and as such we will have to play differently. We still need defensive minded midfielders, but we don't have a Makelele, Mikel and Essien are different and will play slightly different roles.

You have said yourself before that Mikel is wasted in a Makelele role, but he would be the player to take it up if we DID force someone to take it up. However in the Guangzhou game it was clear that we weren't employing a Makelele role at all, rather using our midfield differently. I prefer that, I prefer a change, I think it will do us good.

And why is that?

I said nobody. Simple reason being that I don't think either Essien or Mikel are suited to replace Makelele. They are different types of players and as such we will have to play differently. We still need defensive minded midfielders, but we don't have a Makelele, Mikel and Essien are different and will play slightly different roles.

You have said yourself before that Mikel is wasted in a Makelele role, but he would be the player to take it up if we DID force someone to take it up. However in the Guangzhou game it was clear that we weren't employing a Makelele role at all, rather using our midfield differently. I prefer that, I prefer a change, I think it will do us good.

[/quot

Elliott, midfielders in the premiership would have a field day if we did not have a player

shielding the back four at all times.

And Mikel and Essien will do that to a certain extent, but not in the way Makelele did. They are different players which is my point, and we can't rely on Mikel or Essien to be Makelele.

As Elliott says, no-one will replace Makelele, for two reasons. The first is that Claude Makelele's defensive discipline means that he can never be replaced in such a sense. Furthermore, Scolari has shown he will use a different system, and the Makelele role will most likely be shared between two, deeper midfielders, who will still go forward and attack with the team. As previously mentioned, Mikel and Essien are similar to Maka, but don't possess the same ability to 'replace' him in the side.