Samuel Umtiti

Unionjack

Samuel%20UMTITI_zpse0uexd88.jpg

With it looking like we wont/can't be signing Varane it seems we are looking far and wide for other central defenders with many names being linked with us.

But more reports are coming up about Lyons Samuel Umtiti (CD and LB) lately.

Samuel Umtiti Report

Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho is a big fan of the defender and the former Real Madrid boss wants him to partner alongside Kurt Zouma.

France Football has covered the story and add their own findings. Jean-Michel-Aulas said on Friday that Umtiti is ‘non transferable” but France Football speculates that his mind could change quickly if a big offer is put on the table.

The 21-year-old defender has a contract at the club till 2017 and would cost around 12m. Umtiti is a highly talented defender who has already played over 100 games for his club after graduating from the club’s youth academy and has represented France national team at various youth levels.

And a blinding goal against Spuds

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do not know Umtiti in depth, but he seems to have a characteristics and abilities to play as Left-Back, rather than for Centre-Back. IMO. But I think Left-Back would be his best position.

I've been looking at Whoscored and they say he has played this season 35 matches, all as a centre-back, but I think he is a very fast player who has capabilities to play well at left-back as backup for Azpilicueta or Ivanovic (with Azpi on the right).

He is very young (21 years). Although Lyon is a team with which is very difficult to negotiate.

But it is true that Umtiti is another young and interesting option that lately the reports relate it to us. We'll see what happens.

Regards.

I kind of watched Lyon's matches this season just for entertainment and their strikeforce, so I neglected the defensive unit. Heard about Umtiti though, I know he is settled at CB in that team for a very long time. There's some French guys in here, maybe they can tell us more about him. But for the rumoured price of 10m I think he is worth the investment. Heard Real Madrid are interested as well. Has a rocket of a left foot from what I've seen.

He seems a strong fast lad too thats clever on the ball. Might make a good pairing with Zouma plus with the French connection theyd probably already know each other pretty well. Plus it SEEMS Mou has had his eye on him.

But Im really not sure about how much Mou is comncerned with transfers (incoming or outgoing) Ive said it before but remember the reports when he came back about the clause in his contract saying Emenalo was in complete charge of them? I think maybe they just use him for deals to help talk players round and he adds his comments.

Have only seen him a handful of times, so unable to give any in depth analysis. From what I could see he is overall a good CB without any outstanding qualities or weaknesses. The type of player you can see needs some new challenges to reach his true potential. Less physical than Zouma, but better positioning and technique. They could complement each other well.

For anyone who is interested, these are the 5 highest ranked CB's under 22 with at least 16 starts in Europe:

1. Gimenez, Atletico - 7,54

2. J. Stones, Everton - 7,20
3. Marquinhos, PSG - 7,19

4. A. Laporte, Athletic - 7,19

5. S. Umtiti, Lyon - 7,15

When it comes to statistics it is always harder to maintain a high rating the more games are included. Umtiti has played the most minutes in the top5 (over 3000 min), and almost twice as much as each of the top3.

With Laporte having signed a new contract at Athletic, Marq being in PSG and Varane unlikely to leave Madrid, I think that if Chelsea is on the hunt for a young CB then their best option is one of Gimenez (although I dont know if that is realistic), Stones and Umtiti.

I would like to see a good young CB to team up with Zouma so they can grow together and be together for years hopefully.

But then there the argument that adding experience like a Miranda/Godin would be better altho we would need to replace after a few years and not get our money back.

Im torn about it TBH.

• 11 months later...

• 0 members are here!

• No registered users viewing this page.

talk chelse forums

We get it, advertisements are annoying!
Talk Chelsea relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online because over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this website and help us by switching your ad blocker off.

KTBFFH
Thank You