Admission Costs Up

Football fans are so fed-up with the soaring cost of watching Premiership matches that many are ditching their season tickets.

One in seven will not renew this year because they feel they are being priced out of the game, a new report has warned.

Fans of champions Manchester United are among those angry at the rises. One in five is refusing to buy a new season ticket, which now costs up to £912.

A quarter of West Ham season ticket holders will not be going back to Upton Park, according to the Virgin Money survey. ?

Tickets there will cost up to £885 next season after rises of four per cent.

Fa Cup winners Portsmouth have hiked prices up by 17.5 per cent, with some tickets now at £925.

Fans going to just one Premiership game will fork out around £87.75 for tickets, travel, food and drink - a 12 per cent rise on the 2006 cost of £77.95.

The Football Supporters Federation branded clubs greedy over the hikes.

Chairman Malcolm Clarke said: "The huge amount of TV money pouring into the Premiership means there is no justification for price rises.

"For too long, clubs have believed there is no limit to the extent to which they can exploit the loyalty of fans and they may find this greed will come back bite them on the backside.

"In the difficult financial climate we all face, the football industry must wake up and smell the coffee."

Virgin Money's Scott Mowbray added: "Fans are suffering and many are starting to vote with their feet."

WADS IT WORTH?

Premiership club fans not renewing their season tickets

West Ham Utd 25%

Reading 22%

Portsmouth 21%

Manchester City 20%

Manchester Utd 19%

Fulham 18%

Bolton Wanderers 17%

Birmingham City 16%

Everton 14%

Tottenham 12%

Sunderland 12%

Middlesbrough 11%

Newcastle United 10%

Chelsea 10%

Arsenal 8%

Aston Villa 8%

Wigan Athletic 8%

Liverpool 5%

Blackburn Rovers 5%

Derby County 3%

Mirror Online

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

How would you rate our seasons ticket prices as? i mean our highest and lowest season tickets are still costlier than the manc counterparts but we also happen to be in one of the poshest parts.. also we havent increased prices for 3/4 years and mancs have been forced to buy CL package along with season ticket..

Extortionate. But to be fair not the most expensive by far.

To abandon the Youth Season Ticket scheme as ''too expensive'' is an own goal though. You'd think the club would want to encourage future youngsters to come and watch ?

''Too expensive'', what and wasting £10 million on Mr Toad and Tea Crate for six months isn't ?

The sad fact of life is that every working class supporter that gives up his season ticket will be replaced by some fucking Rupert. Then for some strange reason the clubs and TV will universally complain about the lack of atmosphere at grounds.

Give me the 70's/80's any day of the week. Sometime's I even start to pine for the old benches, piles et all. Would rather that, than have to sit next to some Pimm drinking fucking Giles.

The sad fact of life is that every working class supporter that gives up his season ticket will be replaced by some fucking Rupert. Then for some strange reason the clubs and TV will universally complain about the lack of atmosphere at grounds.

Give me the 70's/80's any day of the week. Sometime's I even start to pine for the old benches, piles et all. Would rather that, than have to sit next to some Pimm drinking fucking Giles.

Most Cricket stadiums in india don't have 1 person seats, we mostly have long benches or just standimng areas bcoz that way the stadium can fit more people in and we are talking about a sport that lasts an entire day.. Standing sections help the atmosphere, ofcourse we are the worst behaved cricket supporters in the world but foreign fans love to be here just to enjoy the atmosphere..

Most Cricket stadiums in india don't have 1 person seats, we mostly have long benches or just standimng areas bcoz that way the stadium can fit more people in and we are talking about a sport that lasts an entire day.. Standing sections help the atmosphere, ofcourse we are the worst behaved cricket supporters in the world but foreign fans love to be here just to enjoy the atmosphere..

Ah, But there are long benches.................and then there the West Stand benches. Stuff of legend.

Mind you, they were a bastard to throw onto the pitch :tiphat:

The prices of tickets these days is shocking.

& shocking that most of the time i have to resort to going to watch coventry for a live game.

I manage to make a couple of Chelsea games a season. But i'd love to go to more if it weren't so expensive.

I dont go to many cov games. I went to a couple last season got into a carling cup game for £5 & league games are only about £12. Not too expensive however these are child prices lol.

Edited by Kez