SWP still a committed Blue

Shaun Wright-Phillips has told Setanta Sports News that he remains committed to Chelsea despite his continued lack of first-team action.

Wright-Phillips looked to have enjoyed somewhat of a breakthrough at Stamford Bridge earlier in the season when he found himself to be a frequent fixture in Avram Grant’s plans.

However, his opportunities to impress have been far more limited since the turn of the year, prompting continued reports that he is surplus to requirements.

Former club Manchester City are amongst the clubs reputedly sniffing around the England winger, but he is adamant that he is going nowhere.

“Ye I’m here to see what I came to Chelsea to do in the first place,” he told Setanta Sports News.

“I have no intention of leaving and I haven’t had since I started.”

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well he's probably on a bloody good contract for doing sod all so its hardly surprising he's in no hurry to leave. We've persevered with him but he's too inconsistent and he's never gonna be the player we need him to be. Time to give up on him I reckon.

he had his chances....when we need him to score, he put every shot wide....when he needed to pass he shot.......

he's the worse in front of goal....and no end product.....

he had his chances....when we need him to score, he put every shot wide....when he needed to pass he shot.......

he's the worse in front of goal....and no end product.....

What are you saying, I think his passing and shooting is good. Except maybe his decisions may not be.

This is one problem we are going to have this summer, we have a lot of fringe players who we will want to look to move on, but because they are on such good contracts they are happy to sit on the bench all season and pick up those wages!! It shows a lack of ambition from me, you would think SWP would want to move on and be a big player for another club..

This is one problem we are going to have this summer, we have a lot of fringe players who we will want to look to move on, but because they are on such good contracts they are happy to sit on the bench all season and pick up those wages!! It shows a lack of ambition from me, you would think SWP would want to move on and be a big player for another club..

fair but if he is playing like he is with us, imagine how he would be somewhere else w/o all the quality we have....

If we sell him, he'll go to a club like Villa, play every week and be top notch again. We have a choice, one that is the best for the club, one that is best for the player. The latter would see him move where he can play every week and get into the England squad. The former would be to keep him here - selling him to one of our rivals, for example, would be highly deterimental.

Shaun Wright-Phillips insists he will remain at Chelsea, despite being linked with a move away from Stamford Bridge.

The England international has struggled to establish himself under Avram Grant, making just three Premier League starts since January.

Wright-Phillips is likely to miss out on Wednesday's UEFA Champions League final against Manchester United with Florent Malouda, Joe Cole and Salomon Kalou all ahead of him in Grant's pecking order.

The likes of Manchester City, Newcastle and Aston Villa are thought to be monitoring Wright-Phillips' situation, but the 26-year-old says he has no plans to move on.

"I will definitely be at Chelsea next season," said Wright-Phillips.

Speculation

"Speculation has been like this since I was at Manchester City.

"It was going on for seven years before I left.

"Then I came to Chelsea and speculation has been going on for my whole time here and I have still not left.

"I have signed a contract (until summer 2010) and I'm here to see it out."

I seriously hate this guy's attitude. First, He was here to prove himself. He got loads of chances in last 2-3 years. We all saw his finishing, and crossing. one word for it. PATHETIC!!!...He wants to stay at Chelsea but the fact that he cant get a starting role over here and that doesnt bother him just pisses me off.

I seriously hate this guy's attitude. First, He was here to prove himself. He got loads of chances in last 2-3 years. We all saw his finishing, and crossing. one word for it. PATHETIC!!!...He wants to stay at Chelsea but the fact that he cant get a starting role over here and that doesnt bother him just pisses me off.

SWP probably has one of the most professional attitudes of any footballer. Never moans, genuine, humble, and does fucking loads for charity. He would have been told to accept bit parts, which is why he's said what he has. I would like to see him stay, and as a sub can change games - but can be fucking frustrating at times - which is why I'd have him as a 70th minute sub for a while.