Mourinho's recent comments on Torres

NishC300

Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho has hinted that the team will adapt their style of play to suit striker Fernando Torres.

The Spainiard has struggled to live up to his £50m price tag since moving to South-West London from Anfield in January 2011 and many Chelsea fans would be happy to see the back of him because of his continuously poor performances and enormous wages, but while most people have given up that Torres will ever be back to his old self, the Special One still believes he has a lot to give.

"I don't know if it's confidence," Mourinho said. "I feel the guy is highly motivated, he works very hard. "I think some of the work we do with the team in terms of attack suits his qualities. We are here to support him."

Torres ended the previous season with 21 goals in all competitions, but he suffered of two long goal droughts.

"Usually when he is clear, he scores that goal - but he has missed (recently). We know that this is Torres' game."

"When we see Torres with his back to goal, surrounded by two or three opponents, we know that he is not going to produce a piece of magic."

"We want the team not to learn how to play with him, but to improve how to play with him. He is working very hard in training, we are happy with him."

"His game is impossible to remodel. But we want to adapt the team and teach the team how to use his best qualities."

"He is not a kid anymore. He is at an age where it is difficult to change his play. He is what he is and he is very good with the qualities he's got. So we need to learn and support his game."

So what does this mean? That Mourinho wants to do something that every Chelsea manager so far has failed to do and when we already have other good young strikers (e.g. Lukaku, Piazon, Feruz) we are planning to completely restructure our game for a misfiring, flat-footed, past his prime striker who we are just being arrogant about and refusing to believe was a huge failure in the transfer market?

The question is why would we ruin a good formula for Torres? Most probably this could just be a method of impressing Torres, hoping that he get gets some good form. Moreover, does this hint that Torres will be first choice?

The sooner Chelsea find a way to get rid of Torres the better, adapting to him will only be a waste of time. The sooner Chelsea realise that paying 50 million pounds for Torres was a waster, the sooner Chelsea will move on.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

"His game is impossible to remodel. But we want to adapt the team and teach the team how to use his best qualities."

Thats the big line, but tbh i wouldn't read much into that. He is just saying torres isn't what he used to be and when he plays the team will have to adapt.

He already touched on it before, Torres can't play with his back to goal, and since he will surely be here next season the players have to try to get him chances in behind - he still has decent pace and looked stronger end of last season..

If we do not sign any striker, then yeah Torres will be first choice imo and Lukaku super sub.

Thats the big line, but tbh i wouldn't read much into that. He is just saying torres isn't what he used to be and when he plays the team will have to adapt.

No he isnt saying Torres isnt what he used to be. He said we need to play to the strengths of players, not just Torres but every team member.

Like he would say that about Torres, would probably shatter what little confidence he had left.

No he isnt saying Torres isnt what he used to be. He said we need to play to the strengths of players, not just Torres but every team member.

Like he would say that about Torres, would probably shatter what little confidence he had left.

Well not directly obviously. But he is saying that the goals he used to score he recently was struggling with so pretty much he is implying it. But as I said I wouldn't read too much into that interview anyway.