Everton - Opposition Views

CHOULO19

With the final match of the season, against Everton, a few days away, I had a a chance to have a chat with our own Shogun, who gave us an insight of an Evertonian's opinion about Moyes' departure, the season as whole, and, of course, the match itself. Here is what he had to say:

Q-Another good season for Everton in the league, but again just not quite good enough to make the CL. Does it get frustrating or are you just happy that you can consistently finish in the top half of the table with the small budget you have?

Most of the time, 6th place in the league would constitute as a good season for Everton but there is an air of disappointment this season seeing as we won't be in Europe at all next season due to the way the cups have planned out, otherwise it would have been a successful season. Although a win on Sunday would take us above our record premier league points tally.

Im not sure whether it is frustrating or not, before the last ten years or so we were the 4th most successful club in England behind Manchester United, Arsenal and Liverpool so to finish in the top half for a club of our stature should never really be enough. However, given the way the premier league has developed and how yourselves (even though you were in the champions league a few times under Ken Bates' ownership) and Man City have evolved, it's pretty much impossible for us to compete under our current financial restraints. Also when you look at Leeds, Notts Forest etc, then maybe I should be a bit more appreciative even though no club should be content with just maintaining what they've got.

Q-Last game for David Moyes as your manager will obviously be an emotional affair for you. Tell us a bit about the Moyes era. How good was it? Where could it have been better?

We had our send off at Goodison on Sunday really, I don't think it'll be as emotional as it was that day, won't you be commemorating the end of the Rafa era? :D

I think it's a lot harder to acknowledge what Moyes has done from an outside view but I'm appreciative of what he has done. When he took over his first full season at Everton it was the 11th season of the premier league and during those ten years prior we had amounted just one top ten finish. The early years were quite inconsistent finishing 7th in his first season and then finishing 17th the following season (I wonder how many would have sacked him at another club?). After that he finished 4th after selling Rooney at the start of the season and reinvesting £8m of the £27m fee. And since then we've had a couple of European runs and some more top 8 finishes, we've had 8 top ten finishes in his time. He's had a net spend of approximately £16m in his 11 years which makes it all the more impressive. It's taken a while, but he's really built us up into a good side.

The clubs image has also improved because of him, we're a lot more respected and more importantly he brought a lot of pride back into our club that had been missing since the 1980's. I can't lie, not winning a trophy is disappointing but anyone can fluke a trophy, what he's done for us in the grand scheme of things is a much bigger and more difficult achievement.

Q-Do you think Moyes made the right decision moving to united or was it foolish of him to leave all he has built at Everton? Do you think hell do well at united?

He has the majority of people's blessing, Chelsea fans might not like to hear it but Manchester United are possibly the biggest club in the world, he'd have been a fool to turn it down to stay at a club who simply can't compete on a financial front. The Everton squad is ageing a little bit as well so whoever takes over will have to sort that out.

I do think he will succeed at United, there'll be a few hiccups obviously but he has the credentials. He'll also bring back a bit of class to United which was so sorely missing under Ferguson. He probably won't do that well in Europe for a couple of years but I don't think he'll take too much time to get going in the league. It'll be interesting to see how he approaches a title race, especially one with Mourinho involved.

Q-With Moyes gone, do you think it will be a tougher task to keep hold of some of your key players and keep the team that the Scotsman built together?

No, and this is one thing that annoys me when any manager leave any club. Players aren't employed to the manager, they're employed to the club and a manager leaving shouldn't make a difference. Fellaini, although speaking a bit better about staying lately will probably leave but apart from him, I can't see any other notable players leaving. Even if they do leave though, we'd receive a good enough transfer fee to replace them, we don't sell cheap.

Q-Speaking of key players, youve had some excellent performers this season. Who has been your man of the season and who was the biggest disappointment for you?

Man of the season, as per usual is Leighton Baines. He really is a phenomenal player a real role model too. I think he created more chances than any other player in Europe this season... and he's a left back. You could make a case for a few others such as Fellaini, Coleman or Jagielka who have all had a decent season too.

I think you can guess who the biggest disappointment has been, Nikica Jelavic. I wish I could tell you why but I don't know, his confidence is just shattered this season. I'm willing to keep him on and give him a chance for next season. Johnny Heitinga has been majorly disappointing as well, he received our fans player of the year award last season but he's been due a howler every time he's played this season.

Q-Who do you want to replace Moyes and where do you see the club headed in the next couple of seasons?

It would be easier to tell you who I don't want to be honest. I don't want Hughes (awful), Lennon (classless), Martinez (overrated) or anyone internal such as Stubbs, Neville or Duncan Ferguson as they're all inexperienced. Preferably, I'd like Vitor Pereira from Porto who's out of contract in June, he's just gone unbeaten and will probably win the league again this season over Benfica. Porto fans don't seem very complimentary on him but they've never had Walter Smith or Mike Walker manage them. Malky MacKay I could live with as I don't think he'd take us backwards, however I don't see us going forward with him either. I could live with Laudrup or Di Matteo too.

It's really impossible to tell what the future holds at this point, it all depends on the manager. I just hope Kenwright gets it right.

Q-Chelsea come into this game with emotions being sky high with Lampard breaking the goal scoring record and the team winning the EL. What do you make of those two achievements?

crap :)

Lampard's achievement is incredible really and I'm glad he broke it last weekend before you played us! I identify him with Chelsea more than I do John Terry, I think he's a much better representative of your club. His full game as a centre midfielder now isn't spectacular but you can't argue with his goal scoring record. There's been a lot of good Chelsea players in the past from Osgood to Zola to Drogba and he certainly belongs in that category.

The Europa league is a great achievement as is winning either of the major European competitions. Obviously it's not a big as the success of last season but its no Mickey Mouse competition as you can see by the the champions league winners and quarter finalists from last season contesting the final.

Q-Last game of the season, but Chelsea still fighting for that third place. Do you think our players will be up for this more than yours?

No, we're up for pretty much every game, it's the sort of spirit we have at the club under Moyes and the players know they have to give it all when they step onto the pitch otherwise they can't expect anything but a backlash from fans. We have the 'advantage' of not having won a European competition in the week as well. We might not field our strongest side but we won't give you a walk over.

Q-Chelsea are the only team that won at Goodison Park this year in the PL thanks to a Frank Lampard double. What did you make of that match at the time? How similar will the match on Sunday be?

We played well in that match and I'm pretty sure we didn't deserve to lose it, I think Jelavic hit the post and the bar as well. We had a lot of players missing that day, I think that we had Coleman, Gibson, Mirallas and Fellaini all out who are starters so I guess I should fancy our chances more in this game! Especially with Hazard potentially missing. We will still probably lose though, we're better with our backs again the wall.

Q-Finally, what are your expectations for this match? What do you think will be the final score?

I think it'll be a decent game, We haven't lost a lot on the road this season but we haven't won a lot either so I'll go for a draw 1-1.

It really does depend on the teams either side puts out though.

Click here to view the article

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Gotta say great post by @Shogun - completely agree with what Moyes has achieved on a NET SPEND of 16million - that's just unbelievable.

A couple of mates are big Everton fans and I always look out for them, probably because of their nickname, I love them ;)

I think it will be a tough role to take over - I actually think it will be harder for the next manager of Everton than Moyes at Utd, you can all laugh at me now - but seriously - watch that space...

I hope WE do beat you guys tomorrow - I know it will ruin your highest points finish - but I really hate Arsenal and Spurs, so want to finish 3rd.... If Arsenal are losing 2-0 and Spuds too - with 4 mins to go - we should let you win :)

I hope WE do beat you guys tomorrow - I know it will ruin your highest points finish - but I really hate Arsenal and Spurs, so want to finish 3rd.... If Arsenal are losing 2-0 and Spuds too - with 4 mins to go - we should let you win

Actually mate, the Tottenham result is completely irrelevant to us. We've guaranteed that we finish above them by beat Villa unless we lose something like 10-0 and they win 10-0. We just need to equal Arsenal's result to guarantee 3rd.

Actually mate, the Tottenham result is completely irrelevant to us. We've guaranteed that we finish above them by beat Villa unless we lose something like 10-0 and they win 10-0. We just need to equal Arsenal's result to guarantee 3rd.

Yeah but I don't want Spuds to qualify, so I'd rather them be loosing too!

Sick of hearing about Bale wanting to stay, blah blah - would love to see him leave in the summer a la RVP ;)

Actually hate Spurs more than Arsenal...

Yeah but I don't want Spuds to qualify, so I'd rather them be loosing too!

Sick of hearing about Bale wanting to stay, blah blah - would love to see him leave in the summer a la RVP ;)

Actually hate Spurs more than Arsenal...

I don't mind Spurs, tbh, probably because they've never been our 'rivals' in my years of supporting Chelsea. I honestly prefer Bale stays at Tottenham than move to united or City,, plus, finishing outside the CL for Arsenal could be the last push they need to turn into Liverpool. So, personally, I want Spurs to qualify.