Total Football or Totaalvoetbal

Spike

Personally I'd love for Chelsea to go back to the days of ye olde Cruyff and play Total Football. And NO it's not the same as Tiki Taka. Very different ideologies. Sure Tiki Taka is derived and inspired from Total Football but to say it's the same is to say that Van Gogh is the same as Munch because Van Gogh inspired Munch.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/321814-beautiful-game-what-ever-happened-to-total-football

http://sabotagetimes.com/reportage/how-football-tactics-were-born/

Of course Chelsea wouldn't use a Sweeper as that an outdated position due to the offside rule changing some twenty years ago.

Or Brasil 82, those guys were classy as anything I've ever seen.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

It is all beautiful, but that doesnt work in today's football.

The game has changed, even the grass has changed. The fast pace of today would rip those teams apart.

Football has changed but that doesn't mean that it wouldn't work. When you look back at football you can notice patterns and trends occuring. Most styles of football reoccur somewhere along the line and disappear. The only ones that probably won't return are those early 2-2-6 and other crazy formations. Catenaccio was great in the 60s, won Inter 2 European Cups and in the 00s it won them a single European cup. Not the best example but you know what I mean.

If I'm not mistaken, fast paced football doesn't exactly cut up slow teams like Barcelona does it?

Enfin !

I'm a big lover of the beautiful game, i admired Ajax, Barcelona now, a I'll always admire possession, dominating teams, and winning by style, for me, this is the most difficult way to play football and who requires talent, intelligence, hard work, 90 minutes of pure football madness, a tactical discipline, extremely good players and a very good manager.

Some here says its "Boring" to have 70% of possession, i dont understand that the objective of the team is to win, and this brand of football makes you win games, titles.This kind of philosophy change players view of the game, players must think in ever decision they make, the manager must change the standards at the club, to play and win by style, you must consistently work and be better everyday of the week, the manager must evolve every year, and must keep his players "hungry to win by style" every season, if every team start to play beautiful football, we'll enjoy the game more, games will be better, more fluid, more precise.

Tiki-Taka, possession football, Total Football, call it what you want, but for me, its the best defensive and offensive style you could use, when you have in mind that you make goals through you possession, it far better than waiting the counter, or to rely on individual achievement.Managers must have faith in the team, and the team itself must be very good to win in this way, passes must be accurate, decisions of players intelligent, the players must be faster, technical, and physical in the same time to keep possession and do everything with the ball, because the essence of the game is to win and entertain.I belive there is another way of playing football for Chelsea FC, I belive we can play this brand of football, because we have the money, the hunger, and good players.When you pay to watch a match, you want your team to outplay the opposition, to score, to keep the ball and to win, not to defend, to rely on counters, and set-pieces, yes all what i wrote may sound too naive, but its opinion after all.

Football has changed but that doesn't mean that it wouldn't work. When you look back at football you can notice patterns and trends occuring. Most styles of football reoccur somewhere along the line and disappear. The only ones that probably won't return are those early 2-2-6 and other crazy formations. Catenaccio was great in the 60s, won Inter 2 European Cups and in the 00s it won them a single European cup. Not the best example but you know what I mean.

If I'm not mistaken, fast paced football doesn't exactly cut up slow teams like Barcelona does it?

I get what you are saying if you are picturing the broader image. Meaning that you can play great football like the past...

However, you cant try to copy what once worked 30 years ago. You can get some ideas (like Barcelona did), but in order to have the same impact in history and to be loved by your playing style, you must create your own personality. Also, Barcelona is boring, but not slow!

I personally love the way Chelsea played back in the 00s. We were very solid on defense, super efficient on the counter but we still had good enough players to do some magical build-up plays. I am of the opinion English football should not try to emulate Brazil or Clockwork Orange. I honestly believe we must continue with that route and Mourinho coming back is an immense sign of it. I definetly dont want Chelsea to be Barcelona 2.0 or Brazil 2.0. I want us to be Chelsea and remembered because of it and because of where we come from, UK.

I honestly think the Board has learned its lesson with the whole Guardiola thing and that is why they want to go back to Mourinho, the ultimate opposite of Pep. If José can make us dominat like before and stays here to win 4 EPL and 2 UCL in a 10year spell or whatever, we will be remembered for ages!

I get what you are saying if you are picturing the broader image. Meaning that you can play great football like the past...

However, you cant try to copy what once worked 30 years ago. You can get some ideas (like Barcelona did), but in order to have the same impact in history and to be loved by your playing style, you must create your own personality. Also, Barcelona is boring, but not slow!

I personally love the way Chelsea played back in the 00s. We were very solid on defense, super efficient on the counter but we still had good enough player to do some magical build-up plays. I am of the opinion English football should not try to emulate Brazil or Clockwork Orange. I honestly believe we must continue with that route and Mourinho coming back is an immense sign of it. I definetly dont want Chelsea to be Barcelona 2.0 or Brazil 2.0. I want us to be Chelsea and remembered because of it and because where we come from, UK.

Yeah, I know exactly what you are saying and I agree. Buuuuuut people are idiots, and they wouldn't even realise that Chelsea was emulating Brazil or Clockwork Orange...so Chelsea could get away with it. They would notice Barcelona and Tiki Taka however...that is still fresh in people's minds.

I don't Chelsea to play exact Total Football I just want them to use the concept of changing positions. Imagine Oscar, Hazard, Mata if they played Total Football!

Enfin !

I'm a big lover of the beautiful game, i admired Ajax, Barcelona now, a I'll always admire possession, dominating teams, and winning by style, for me, this is the most difficult way to play football and who requires talent, intelligence, hard work, 90 minutes of pure football madness, a tactical discipline, extremely good players and a very good manager.

Some here says its "Boring" to have 70% of possession, i dont understand that the objective of the team is to win, and this brand of football makes you win games, titles.This kind of philosophy change players view of the game, players must think in ever decision they make, the manager must change the standards at the club, to play and win by style, you must consistently work and be better everyday of the week, the manager must evolve every year, and must keep his players "hungry to win by style" every season, if every team start to play beautiful football, we'll enjoy the game more, games will be better, more fluid, more precise.

Tiki-Taka, possession football, Total Football, call it what you want, but for me, its the best defensive and offensive style you could use, when you have in mind that you make goals through you possession, it far better than waiting the counter, or to rely on individual achievement.Managers must have faith in the team, and the team itself must be very good to win in this way, passes must be accurate, decisions of players intelligent, the players must be faster, technical, and physical in the same time to keep possession and do everything with the ball, because the essence of the game is to win and entertain.I belive there is another way of playing football for Chelsea FC, I belive we can play this brand of football, because we have the money, the hunger, and good players.When you pay to watch a match, you want your team to outplay the opposition, to score, to keep the ball and to win, not to defend, to rely on counters, and set-pieces, yes all what i wrote may sound too naive, but its opinion after all.

Total Football is so different from Tiki Taka. Total Football has it's foundations in player verstility and awareness. They are expected to not only play as a Foward, but as a Midfielder and a defender. That doesn't really happen in Tiki Taka, it's much more static with players have specific roles. If Ramires had actual consistent technical abilities he would be a magnificient player for Total Football due to his adaptability.

Yeah, I know exactly what you are saying and I agree. Buuuuuut people are idiots, and they wouldn't even realise that Chelsea was emulating Brazil or Clockwork Orange...so Chelsea could get away with it. They would notice Barcelona and Tiki Taka however...that is still fresh in people's minds.

I don't Chelsea to play exact Total Football I just want them to use the concept of changing positions. Imagine Oscar, Hazard, Mata if they played Total Football!

Yes, it would be awesome. But like I said, use it with a pinch of salt and a little bit of adaptation.

4-4-2 doesnt really work anymore, it was good while it lasted. A very well organised and solid 4-3-3 (like we had), with our new talented players can become a real beauty to watch. With passes and infiltrations of Brazil and the movement and tactical discipline of Holland. Would certainly be something special!

We just need to right coach...

Defenses are a lot more shaped and organized now in comparison to cryuff's reign for starters

Its still possible to score, so its possible to play this kind of football, of course it would be easier against Wigan than City, but its possible.

Total Football is so different from Tiki Taka. Total Football has it's foundations in player verstility and awareness. They are expected to not only play as a Foward, but as a Midfielder and a defender. That doesn't really happen in Tiki Taka, it's much more static with players have specific roles. If Ramires had actual consistent technical abilities he would be a magnificient player for Total Football due to his adaptability.

I never said it is the same thing, some people call the Barcelona style "Tiki Taka" others "Total Football" and it goes on, its just to understand better my point of view.I dont think we can always play beautiful football and win in England, but we certainly can improve much more if we start to think playing this way.

Its still possible to score, so its possible to play this kind of football, of course it would be easier against Wigan than City,

Of course its possible, no one said it wasn't. The English game will always have a direct approach environment which will leave it difficult to adapt that philosophy on a consistent basis as well as the enhancements of the defensive organization and tactics from the 70's

And what some people deprive as 'Boring' and 'Beautiful' , is subjective and nothing more.