Coaching "bible"

OneMoSalah

So the title of the topic pretty much gives it away. I really want to attempt to write my own coaching bible just out of boredum and as I am quite interested in doing coaching in the future as unrealistic as it sounds. Only problem is I don't have a very good idea of what to include in it apart from stuff like philosophy, preferred formations, preferred playing style etc. Does anyone have any ideas of what a coaching bible would include? Would be grateful for any help :D

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So the title of the topic pretty much gives it away. I really want to attempt to write my own coaching bible just out of boredum and as I am quite interested in doing coaching in the future as unrealistic as it sounds. Only problem is I don't have a very good idea of what to include in it apart from stuff like philosophy, preferred formations, preferred playing style etc. Does anyone have any ideas of what a coaching bible would include? Would be grateful for any help :D

Aint giving you my tricks babe. :rolleyes:

Try reading "Inverting the Pyramid", it is a hell of a starter!

What is Inverting the Pyramid?

A very praised book about football tactics.

Football Tribe is another good book, but it is about personalities.

Carlo and Ferguson biographies are also excellent, it gives you an idea of what being a coach on a regular basis is.

I've heard about the Football Tribe. The author is a psychologist I think. He was on that Mourinho documentary saying Jose is like a witch doctor. I think maybe at Christmas I will have to buy a few of these books and give them a read tbh.

I've heard about the Football Tribe. The author is a psychologist I think. He was on that Mourinho documentary saying Jose is like a witch doctor. I think maybe at Christmas I will have to buy a few of these books and give them a read tbh.

I dont have ITV, someone posted the documentary but I didnt have time to watch it just yet.

Being a coach is just like any ohter profession. It has your study + experience. You will have to read books and be taught by someone good (Mourinho was a translator at Barcelona and Porto and Pep learned from the best at La Masia). Since I got into my college team I have learned a lot, I dont see a game for entertainment anymore, I automatically search for tactics. It is even involuntary...

Add to the list (but those are not priorities): The Football Men and Why England Lose.

I dont have ITV, someone posted the documentary but I didnt have timeto watch it just yet.

Being a coach is just like any ohter profession. It has your study + experience. You will have to read books and be taught by someone good (Mourinho was a translator at Barcelona and Porto and Pep learned from the best at La Masia). Since I got into my college team I have learned a lot, I dont see a game for entertainment anymore, I automatically search for tactics. It is even involuntary...

Add to the list (but those are not priorities): The Football Men and Why England Lose.

I went on amazon and found a whole load of books on tactics. One including opinions on tactics from the Napoli boss, Carlo, Conte, Capello etc. One about Dutch influence on modern day football and that but I will have a look at them two you've listed :D

I went on amazon and found a whole load of books on tactics. One including opinions on tactics from the Napoli boss, Carlo, Conte, Capello etc. One about Dutch influence on modern day football and that but I will have a look at them two you've listed :D

There are a lot of books, I sincerely dont know which are good and which are pure crap. The ones I have indicated I already read, so I can tell you they are good. I am sure there are more great ones out there, though.

The thing is, a coaching bible is like a grown up men`s diary. Each person has its own way of understanding the world. If you would be able to read 2 top coach`s book, they would explain the same tactic in 2 different ways, ultimately getting to the same conclusion. The bible is more of a cheat, down deep you already know everything there, it is basically the summary of your knowledge and life. There is no secret, it is not like a mcdonalds burger receipt...

I remember our discussion back in the pub about this months back hahaha,,

the key to being a manger bar tactics is also in developing a strong relationship with your players(JM mentioned that in his interview one time). Getting your players to play for you and having them buy into your system....i believe a lot of managers struggle with that aspect as well when stories are released after their sack on just what it was like inside the locker room behind closed doors. Buy "John Wooden's book called how to create a winning organization"

In the U.S allot of mangers are fired becasuse the players simply don't accept what the Boss is pitching to them,, having players that beleive in you and your philosophy may not help you win games as much as say being a master tactian but I have seen it give head coaches extra time to try and figure things out.

I remember our discussion back in the pub about this months back hahaha,,

the key to being a manger bar tactics is also in developing a strong relationship with your players(JM mentioned that in his interview one time). Getting your players to play for you and having them buy into your system....i believe a lot of managers struggle with that aspect as well when stories are released after their sack on just what it was like inside the locker room behind closed doors. Buy "John Wooden's book called the Art of Winning"

In the U.S allot of mangers are fired becasuse the players simply don't accept what the Boss is pitching to them,, having players that beleive in you and your philosophy may not help you win games as much as say being a master tactian but I have seen it give head coaches extra time to try and figure things out.

Yeah having that relationship with players is key but right now I'm just planning on doing a wee thing with tactics, philosophy, models of play etc like what a lot of managers start out with before they have a job (Mourinho, Benitez, Rodgers etc all developed one before they were made managers)

Yeah having that relationship with players is key but right now I'm just planning on doing a wee thing with tactics, philosophy, models of play etc like what a lot of managers start out with before they have a job (Mourinho, Benitez, Rodgers etc all developed one before they were made managers)

oh yeah mate i understand you,, Rome wasn't built in one day and all mangers start out as assitants in one field and steadily build their reputation until finally one man/club decides to give you a shot and hopefully the rest is history from there on out.

have you already filled out a form yet and if not when do you plan to do so?

oh yeah mate i understand you,, Rome wasn't built in one day and all mangers start out as assitants in one field and steadily build their reputation until finally one man/club decides to give you a shot and hopefully the rest is history from there on out.

have you already filled out a form yet and if not when do you plan to do so?

I've not filled a form out to be anything yet. I was thinking of creating my own guide or bible whatever you want to call it just out of my personal interest in coaching then in the future if I have the chance to go do the UEFA/FA coaching tests to do them and well you never know haha.

You could try taking a look at this book.

http://www.amazon.co...5161282&sr=8-12

Cheers! Think I'm gonna have to wait a while before I can buy anymore books though lol :(

My mum will likely be wondering why I have bookmarked so many books too on google chrome... probably think I'm going nuts

Cheers! Think I'm gonna have to wait a while before I can buy anymore books though lol :(

My mum will likely be wondering why I have bookmarked so many books too on google chrome... probably think I'm going nuts

LOL DID U BUY INVERTING THE PYRAMID! It's free online!

Carlo and Ferguson biographies are also excellent, it gives you an idea of what being a coach on a regular basis is.

Ferguson's biography? Did Howard Webb write the intro for his wife Fergie? Any tips on bribing referees or generating luck in Fergie's bio? That's his real strategy.