Realistic Expectations

Miguelito

I almost wrote an article before the season started about the expectations for Chelsea and what I wanted to see from the season, so now I’ll what I think so far. I know that some people agree with me, but I'm sure others don’t. I'm sure that some people won't see the point in this article either, but that's fine; I just wanted to put my prospective in to it.

Honestly, the season so far has far exceeded my expectations. Our start to the season was incredible and I'm not quite sure how we did it. We came out all guns firing and even had luck on our side. I had to tell my friends that are Chelsea fans to calm down, that we needed time still. There was always going to be time when things got difficult and the results suffered, but that is part of transition. That’s the thing; this year is a transition year.

I didn’t think we had a chance this season at winning the league and I was just hoping for a third or fourth place finish. Di Matteo did the right thing, as the manager of team, in slowly integrating a new style and fazing players out. People started out having lower expectations for this season, and then we signed some of the best, young talent in the world. In Hazard and Oscar, people knew we had two future world beaters. I think many people then saw there was going to be a change in our play and knew they would have to be patient. Then the start of the season wowed way too many people. Everyone thought that we were going to be amazing and their expectations went way too sky high. They needed to be more realistic.

This season was always going to be really tough, but I know that we will reap the rewards in the future. I was expecting that there was going to be a really slow start to the season with so many new additions not knowing each other’s games, but that did not happen. I even got pulled in to the hype a little that this season was going to be perfect, but I still knew to hold back. From just a fan prospective, this season has been insanely entertaining. It has had everything; from controversy, to amazing play, to late winners, to the down right ugly.

To think that this team of young, attacking players to gel this fast is outrageous. Yes, it may seem like we just let the players try and figure things out on the field but they are still new to each other. When you have so many players that are pretty similar, it is going to take a while when to know when to take over and when to take a backseat. The fact that they are all unselfish helps a lot, though.

Now that we have hit a blip, everyone is freaking out and saying that we are out of ideas. If you gave me third place at this point before the season, I would have grabbed it and ran. Patience is something that we all need to use in this situation. Yes, we have problems, but this is a year of change. The potential for this squad is unreal, but in the present we need to be realistic.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

"That’s the thing; this year is a transition year." - IS NOT A FACT, but merely your opinion.Just a simple question : How are we transitioning into an attacking team when we give teams like Liverpool 57% of the possession and that at home ?

p.s. Realistic Expectations in successful person's mind is translated in : "Iam a loser and the reason iam failing is because bla bla bla (the text you entered).

We need to be within 3-4 points of the league leaders in January to be a realistic chance at winning the title becase we will surely buy a striker (Also perhaps a CM) in January.

However the more times passes the more I realise that we have only Torres right now (which will and already has cost us points), have a young team in transition and a defense that needs to learn how to defend better when playing this sort of football. So I can see a solid and comfortable top 3 finish for us, finishing either 3rd or 2nd. Of course we CAN win the title however I think next season is when we will be the favourites.

I expect a top 4 finish (I honestly don't mind where in the top 4 we finish though this season) and would love and semi-expect an F.A. Cup win.

I'm expecting the CWC trophy also, but have this gut feeling we'll throw it away by not taking the game seriously.

As posted above, it's been said many times that this is a transition season, but we don't actually look to be transitioning anymore.

Our midfield has transitioned, but now there needs to be transition with our striker options and our defence.. which isn't going to be happening this season at all.

"That’s the thing; this year is a transition year." - IS NOT A FACT, but merely your opinion.Just a simple question : How are we transitioning into an attacking team when we give teams like Liverpool 57% of the possession and that at home ?

p.s. Realistic Expectations in successful person's mind is translated in : "Iam a loser and the reason iam failing is because bla bla bla (the text you entered).

i wrote in the beginning of it that this is merely my prospective, i know that it is just my opinion. but i think that it is kind of obvious that we are transitioning from the fact that we are changing how we play and who we play on the field. Even all of the players say that we play different than last year and we have to get used to it.

and possession stats can often be misleading. You can be a very attacking team and not always have the ball; it's what you do with the ball in the time you have it that matters. i thought they did a good job of pressing us, but we also looked a bit tired and misplaced too many passes. anyways, this is not just about the liverpool game, idk how you can base that we are not transitioning on one game....

and the part about i am a loser and the reason i am failing doesnt make any sense. we are not failing, we are doing well so far this season. it was always going to be tough and that was the point in this topic.

This is not just directed at you, but people need to be more realistic and realize everything doesnt come as easy as we believe