The end of an era ends in ecstasy. Where now?

Wxgba

From Munich to the highest of highs and now back down to reality, where is Chelsea Football Club left amidst all these celebrations?

Long may the party continue - and deservedly so - but sooner or later, the realisition is going to hit home that we're left with a bunch of mediocre players that only Di Matteo has succeeded in resurrecting - this feat alone is surely worth a contract offer from Abramovich. That, plus the little-known fact that Chelsea were victorious in Munich last night so, you know, they're Champions of Europe. No biggie. It's not like Abramovich is bothered about that trophy anyway... Put all of my poor attempts at humour to one side, though, and where are we left, realistically? Di Matteo's done a grand job and has overcome the odds time after time. You can only ride your luck for so long, though, and I really do think that come next season, that may be wearing thin and we'll be back to square one all over again - and we certainly don't want that.

Personally, I think Di Matteo ought to bow out in style. The 'burden' - if I should call it that? - of the Champions League has finally been relieved from Roman's shoulders so he now needs to prioritise the club's future short-term and long-term goals. Short-term: hire and put faith in a manager to come in and make changes - allow him control of transfers too, please! Long-term: sort out the youth team set-up. Not many players seem to be coming through our ranks and making an impression - we have to buy the talent in from elsewhere. We don't need to do that as a top club.

Will Roman answer to my wishes? Probably not. But I hope the glamour of the trophies doesn't go to his head and he starts spending ridiculous prices on needless transfers, a la Torres. We need to a new spine to the team, as it won't be long until John Terry and Frank Lampard hang their boots up. Drogba's doubtful for next season. That leaves us with the cocyx that is Petr Cech. The remainder of the "old guard" will either be gone or virtually ineffective. The time to install a new heart to Chelsea Football club is now. Not next season, or the following one after that. Now.

Gary Cahill looks to be our new John Terry, so that's that ticked off the list. Lampard? Irreplaceable, but we can try! We've got Mikel, Ramires and Mata who are all worthwhile players in the squad, but none are in the same mould as "Fat Frank" - y'know, that one that now owns a Champions League winners' medal? We need to be looking into adequate replacements for Lampard's position. Drogba may or may not be here next season, but we certainly need to be replacing him with another player of similar stature. Torres may work hard, but our team lacks the service that he thrives on, and I'm sure it's easier to find a player similar to Drogba than it is to find three or four world-class players to surround one striker that is seemingly past his best. Lukaku looks a promising prospect, but that's all he is at present: a prospect. In Lukaku and Torres, we have strikers yet to prove themselves in the blue of Chelsea. £68m well-spent? Unfortunately not.

Di Matteo's legacy - yes, I'm calling it that! - will live on forever. We're the first London club to become the Champions of Europe. I can't thank the man enough for our tremendous turnaround. Didier's dramatic goals in finals - nine in nine, don't forget - will always be remembered. Lampard's legendary status has infinitely risen after captaining a winning side to the club's first ever Champions League trophy, if that was even possible. John Terry: Captain. Leader. Legend. An old-fashioned centre back plying his trade in modern-day football... that will be hard to find again. After Gary Cahill, that is!

Fact of the matter is, this group of players is on its last limbs. Let them celebrate and embrace the good times that follow, but come the pre-season, a lot of changes need to be made. And they need to be made swiftly. You hear me, Roman?

Click here to view the article

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fantastic article. Agree with every word. Out of the old guard the only players that I can see staying are Cech, JT Ash & Lamps. We have replacements in the line for all of them bar lamps.

Drogba looks set to leave & the timing is right, can Torres step up now?

Essien is not the player he was, time to move on.

Kalou has never been good enough

Malouda has been useless for too long now.

Bosingwa has to go

Ferreira can be replaced for a younger prospect.

Give RDM plenty of time to rebuild & build his own team, lower expectations if need be, we don't have the pressure of trying to get that first CL trophy. Also give RDM full control of players coming in & out. No more marquee signings for the sake of it.

Fantastic article. Agree with every word. Out of the old guard the only players that I can see staying are Cech, JT Ash & Lamps. We have replacements in the line for all of them bar lamps.

Drogba looks set to leave & the timing is right, can Torres step up now?

Essien is not the player he was, time to move on.

Kalou has never been good enough

Malouda has been useless for too long now.

Bosingwa has to go

Ferreira can be replaced for a younger prospect.

Give RDM plenty of time to rebuild & build his own team, lower expectations if need be, we don't have the pressure of trying to get that first CL trophy. Also give RDM full control of players coming in & out. No more marquee signings for the sake of it.

Firstly, thanks for the kind words regarding the article - I'm glad you liked it.

Although Drogba's undergoing transfer talks, I too feel the time is right to depart. The perfect send-off for him would be to leave the club he's worked so hard for by scoring the penalty to win them their first Champions League trophy. Professional script-writers would struggle to find a better ending to his Chelsea career. He's been nothing less than an ambassador for this football club during his time here; whether he stays or goes, I'll still love him. One of the best players I've ever seen during my lifetime - and that's not just for Chelsea!

I disregarded Essien, Kalou, Malouda, Bosingwa and Ferreira within my article as I consider them dead-wood. They need to leave. However, if Di Matteo remains in charge next season, I can see Kalou staying with the club. Essien's injury problems have hampered his development more than anyone could have imagined. I had high hopes but his injury woes have eradicated any chances of him becoming a world-class player. I'll concede that Kalou's a useful squad player, but certainly nothing more than that. Malouda has endured some good times for the Blues but has had a bitter-sweet relationship with the club from the outset. Never has shown that consistency that is required to play at the highest level for us. Bosingwa, although proving his worth against Barcelona, is too much of a liability to be a first-team player. I always fear for the team when he's in possession... even when he's not in possession I fear the worst, in fact! Ferreira's been a good servant but if we're having an overhaul, he's another one that's past his sell-by date.

Regarding Di Matteo's appointment, I'm not for or against it - I'm situated right on the fence. It's hurting my balls.

He's done wonders for the club in such a short time so is definitely worth a go. I know how impatient some of the fans can be, though, and if things don't go our way at the start of the season, they could be straight on his back. After what he's done for the club, you'd think he'd be untouchable, but I can assure you there will be fans out there looking for reasons to get him out - there's always a reason. Saying that, I can't think of a suitable replacement. As much as Guardiola's name sounds attractive, he's unproven. It has the potential to be a debacle such as the Andre Villas-Boas appointment. Mourinho won't come back - not this season - other than that, no-one else deserves the job more than Di Matteo so it would only be fair to give him a shot at building his own team. I'd be interested to see how he fares in the transfer window, to be honest. Especially given the extra incentive of joining the Champions of Europe that will be surrounding the club.

As ever is the case with such speculation, only time will tell...

NB: Sorry for all the clichés, guys, I'm a sucker for using them!

With regards to the clearout, it's very clear cut. The eldest of the squad barring the titan Drogba are no longer what we need. They're getting long in the tooth and should be rewarded with perhaps a coaching role at the club when they wind up their career in recognition for the great things they have done for us. I am referring to Malouda and Ferreira here, perhaps even Lampard.

For the not so old- Bosingwa, Essien, Kalou- we can afford to lose all three, I guess. Essien needs to retire now, I think. It hurts me to say it as I love the Bison, but it hurts me even more to see a once great lion struggle to run down so much as a rabbit. Bosingwa, stellar performances against Barcelona and Bayern aside, he just does not seem to be able to defend well in the smaller games. A move would be beneficial for both parties, he's not first choice here and he's still fairly young enough to go somewhere else, establish himself and be a key role in winning trophies rather than a peripheral accessory. Kalou; for me; should certainly be retained. He's not easy to replace, difficult as that may be to believe. Where else are we going to get a cheap, versatile, hard working player who's rarely complained about not getting first team action and is at least superficially content to bide his time on the bench?

• 5 weeks later...