The Championship Thread

DavidEU

The race to get to the Premiership is almost exciting at the moment as the battle between Chelsea, Arsenal and Man Utd.

I havent really paid much attention until now, but it really does look like it will go right down to the wire for the automatic promotion places and the playoffs.

P GD PTS

1 Bristol City 35 3 64

2 Stoke 36 11 62

3 Watford 35 14 61

4 West Brom 34 28 58

5 Charlton 35 10 55

6 Ipswich 35 9 52

7 Plymouth 35 9 52

8 Burnley 35 3 51

9 Hull 34 3 50

10 Wolverhampton 34 -1 50

11 Crystal Palace 35 4 49

Just six points seperate Bristol in 1st, and Charlton in 5th, and remarkably just 8 points between 6th (Ipswich) and 15th (QPR). Bristol have done brilliantly in their first season in the Championship and look genuine title contenders, as well as Stoke, although WBA and Watford have looked brilliant at times this season.

So what do you think? Discuss the Championship here. :thumbsup:

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that league is incredible. every season is so tight at the top where 8-10 teams can be seperated by 3 points. Its pretty much the toss of a coin which 3 go up out of all that lot. My money would be on West Brom, Watford and Charlton only because they have the experience. theres still 10-11-12 games left and i dont think bristol city and stoke can keep it up. Great credit to them tho. Watch out for QPR. They still have time to make an impact. They are playing well atm and they beat Stoke 3-0 today and looked pretty impressive. Any 3 can come up out of the top kinda 15 except wolves, they really are crap.

Well I've quite a few bristol City mates and they're understandably excited and cautious.

Tricky one for them tomorrow -away at Charlton what with them just getting Sinclair as well.

Really hope they go up - was brilliant last time -they beat the gooners away first game and tooped the table for a while.

Bristol City really have been through it in the last decade. Since they got relegated from the old Division 1 (Championship) they just couldnt get back up. The playoffs really killed them. Then they almost went down into league one before coming straight up last year. Now they sit top of the Championship its quite a story really. I wish em all the best but i think its too early for them to come up to the big league. Another year in the Championship would do them no harm imo.

64 points from 35 games is actually quite avarage. You can tell everyone has beaten everyone.

Edited by OllieCFC

Go to their home games sometimes -the atmosphere is like Pompey, fucking electric. They would win 50% of their Premiership home games, IF they buy 3 or 4 good players, and Gary Johnson doesnt fuck off.

Every team gets £30 million TV money in the Premeiership automatically, even the teams that go down get £30 million 'parachute' money as well.

Hoping Crystal Palace comes up,mainly cause Neil Warnocks rants were pointless 'Gerrard blah who goes down and manages to keep eye contact with the ref etc' but dont think its gana happen

The Championship very oooo never predictable and always changes lol

The Championship is definetley to some extents more interesting than the Premiership and less predictable.

I watched QPR destoy Stoke yesterday on Sky.A bit too late for QPR to make any push to the play-off's but they will definetley be promotion contenders next season.

The surprise package has definetley been Bristol City,who's passionate crowd never give up and always will on their team to victory,and with the astute management of Gary Johnson they will push all the way for automatic promotion.And to think Bristol City were in League 1 last season shows how far they have come.

I think Watford will still win it,despite their recent poor form they will be up there with Bristol City finishing second and gracing their presence in the Prem next season.

Charlton/WBA to join them via the play-off's

This is Bristols first year in the league, but Stoke have been in there ages I think.

Its Citys first season in the second tier for a decade. They have been in the top flight before, and 3 times I've seen them beat us at Ashton Gate.

This is Bristols first year in the league,
You should get your facts right fella.Bristol City were in the top flight probably before you were born.

Got relegated in 1979 if i remember rightly.I'm sure Greg will correct me if i'm wrong.

I might dig out my Football 79 Pannini album from the attic in a mo and give you a few facts about Bristol City.Yes,i am that old to remember.

You should get your facts right fella.Bristol City were in the top flight probably before you were born.

Got relegated in 1979 if i remember rightly.I'm sure Greg will correct me if i'm wrong.

I might dig out my Football 79 Pannini album from the attic in a mo and give you a few facts about Bristol City.Yes,i am that old to remember.

Lol the old Pannini stickers. Collectors items now, you've an inheritance there for your grandkids Mike. People flog them on e bay. Think you're right about '79, few years in the doldrums, down to Div 4, almost bankrupt etc.

I meant it was there first year back in the league, e.g. they were promoted to the Championship in 2007.

What might stop Bristol City is their away form,which has blown hot and cold of late.

Bristol must be buzzing atm.City top of the Championship and their 'beloved' Rovers 90 minutes away from Wembley 'if' they can beat the Baggies on Saturday.

Just think,Bristol Rovers could be in the UEFA Cup without even kicking a ball :o

Another team were relegated in 1979 :whistling:

I think stoke got promoted in 2002, could be wrong.

Bristol is a happy place i reckon, Last year both Bristols were Promoted. Bristol Rovers did something we done last season and that was to win a final at wembley and cardiffs millenium stadium. Bristol Rovers are now in an FA Cup quarter final and Bristol City are currently top of the Championship. They must all be in dreamland. Good luck to em.

• 1 month later...

I’m disappointed that Southampton might go down… They are playing West Brom away at the weekend and it just doesn’t look good! I have respect for Southampton, used to love watching Le Tissier back in the day...