Spike

Bookies "certain" of Trump victory now, especially after Haley's supportive statement.
Trump = 1.72, Biden = 2.37.
In my view the wokes are to blame for this and the idiotic pro-Hamas demonstrators.

It's like I been saying. This was telegraph long ago, Trump is clearly the favorite to win this election. 

But I have a feeling he will not finish the whole term.... Something will happen. 

42 minutes ago, Fernando said:

It's like I been saying. This was telegraph long ago, Trump is clearly the favorite to win this election. 

But I have a feeling he will not finish the whole term.... Something will happen. 

He's likely to bring chaos and so destroy the republicans chances for 2028, but I don't see a succesful impeachment likely.

I still think Biden is safe-ish, but the economy is horrific.

I feel the media does itself a disservice talking about how "good" things are when inflation is running rampant and jobs are paying trash.

7 minutes ago, Sir Mikel OBE said:

I still think Biden is safe-ish, but the economy is horrific.

I feel the media does itself a disservice talking about how "good" things are when inflation is running rampant and jobs are paying trash.

I thought inflation was coming down? 

It's not high as years ago. 

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, Sir Mikel OBE said:

the economy is horrific.

inflation is running rampant and jobs are paying trash.

what you said there is incorrect if you are talking about the US

US Inflation Rate Slows as Expected
Annual inflation rate in the US eased to 3.4% in April 2024 from 3.5% in March which was the highest reading since September, in line with market forecasts. Inflation steadied for food (2.2%) and slowed for shelter (5.5% vs 5.7%) while prices continued to decline for new vehicles (-0.4% vs -0.1%) and used cars and trucks (-6.9% vs -2.2%). On the other hand, energy costs rose slightly more (2.6% vs 2.1% in March), with gasoline increasing 1.1% (vs 1.3%) while a decline was seen for utility gas service (-1.9% vs -3.2%) and fuel oil (-0.8% vs -3.7%). Also, cost rose faster for transportation (11.2% vs 10.7%) and apparel (1.3% vs 0.4%). Compared to the previous month, the CPI increased by 0.3%, below 0.4% in each of the previous two months and forecasts of 0.4%. Meanwhile, core inflation slowed to 3.6% annually, be the lowest reading since April 2021, down from 3.8% in both March and February. The monthly rate also eased to 0.3% from 0.4%, both in line with forecasts. less
2024-05-15
US Inflation Rate Seen Easing to 3.4%
Annual inflation rate in the US likely eased to 3.4% in April 2024 from 3.5% in March which was the highest reading since September. Compared to the previous month, the CPI is expected to increase by 0.4%, the same as in each of the previous two months. Gasoline prices are forecasted to have risen from March, while rent increases are expected to slow down and prices for used cars may continue to decline. Meanwhile, core inflation probably slowed to 3.6% annually, which would be the lowest reading since April 2021, down from 3.8% in both March and February. The monthly rate is also expected to ease to 0.3% from 0.4%. less

2024-05-15

https://tradingeconomics.com/united-states/inflation-cpi

https://tradingeconomics.com/united-states/wage-growth

09f6921bbe3501a57dfcb4aec02d9357.png

Edited by Vesper

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, Fernando said:

it is coming down, it was 3.4 per cent in April (see my post above)

and core CPI is also coming down

https://www.investing.com/economic-calendar/core-cpi-736

c554e1318dcd6459ced62494beb1e4fe.png

485723bd8f2a6850506907f2c9c907c4.png

Edited by Vesper

Posted (edited)

Can't argue with that. Biden economy is not worse as many people like to put it, there has been improvements especially in the inflation part. 

You need to give it to him and the federal reserve had also helped with controlling inflation. 

I guess where he has lost a lot of people is with Israel support. 

But as far as economic we ain't that bad. At least we don't have a  recession which is by far the worse outcome that was feared and so far we avoid. 

Edited by Fernando

Posted (edited)

Blaming Biden for inflation is as silly as blaming Trump for the Pandemic; esp given that much of this inflation was caused by the pandemic, or rather the mitigations put in place.

Economic conditions can be affected by the president's policies, but the immediate causation is crazy. A shift in policies can take a long time to cause an effect, which means we often see results of the previous term policies.

"with Israel support. " a number of polls show otherwise even among students, which are the least likely group to show and and vote anyway.

Biden's main weakness is that he looks and talks like a cadaver.

Edited by robsblubot

3 hours ago, Fernando said:

When was the last time you spent less than 50 dollars in a store to feed a family though? A few years ago you probably had respite with covid bucks, but you aren't getting that today.

3 hours ago, Vesper said:

what you said there is incorrect if you are talking about the US

US Inflation Rate Slows as Expected
Annual inflation rate in the US eased to 3.4% in April 2024 from 3.5% in March which was the highest reading since September, in line with market forecasts. Inflation steadied for food (2.2%) and slowed for shelter (5.5% vs 5.7%) while prices continued to decline for new vehicles (-0.4% vs -0.1%) and used cars and trucks (-6.9% vs -2.2%). On the other hand, energy costs rose slightly more (2.6% vs 2.1% in March), with gasoline increasing 1.1% (vs 1.3%) while a decline was seen for utility gas service (-1.9% vs -3.2%) and fuel oil (-0.8% vs -3.7%). Also, cost rose faster for transportation (11.2% vs 10.7%) and apparel (1.3% vs 0.4%). Compared to the previous month, the CPI increased by 0.3%, below 0.4% in each of the previous two months and forecasts of 0.4%. Meanwhile, core inflation slowed to 3.6% annually, be the lowest reading since April 2021, down from 3.8% in both March and February. The monthly rate also eased to 0.3% from 0.4%, both in line with forecasts. less
2024-05-15
US Inflation Rate Seen Easing to 3.4%
Annual inflation rate in the US likely eased to 3.4% in April 2024 from 3.5% in March which was the highest reading since September. Compared to the previous month, the CPI is expected to increase by 0.4%, the same as in each of the previous two months. Gasoline prices are forecasted to have risen from March, while rent increases are expected to slow down and prices for used cars may continue to decline. Meanwhile, core inflation probably slowed to 3.6% annually, which would be the lowest reading since April 2021, down from 3.8% in both March and February. The monthly rate is also expected to ease to 0.3% from 0.4%. less

2024-05-15

https://tradingeconomics.com/united-states/inflation-cpi

https://tradingeconomics.com/united-states/wage-growth

09f6921bbe3501a57dfcb4aec02d9357.png

Economists will say anything, but that simply isnt the reality on the ground.

There was a time when someone making 6 figures could afford a house and models and bottles in big cities. You aren't getting that anymore.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, robsblubot said:

Blaming Biden for inflation is as silly as blaming Trump for the Pandemic; esp given that much of this inflation was caused by the pandemic, or rather the mitigations put in place.

Economic conditions can be affected by the president's policies, but the immediate causation is crazy. A shift in policies can take a long time to cause an effect, which means we often see results of the previous term policies.

"with Israel support. " a number of polls show otherwise even among students, which are the least likely group to show and and vote anyway.

Biden's main weakness is that he looks and talks like a cadaver.

Its silly, but its the reality. The person in charge carries the brunt of people not feeling happy. People still call Carter the worst president ever, and Reagan a saint, when Carter is 20x the president(and man) Reagan was because the economy was so shit during his time.

It took over 40 bucks to fill up a Honda Civic down here in Georgia today. Its not Biden's fault, but folks are going to blame the man at the top for this.

I dont buy his looks being a problem either. Reagan was literally old forgetful and loved.

Edited by Sir Mikel OBE

4 hours ago, Sir Mikel OBE said:

When was the last time you spent less than 50 dollars in a store to feed a family though? A few years ago you probably had respite with covid bucks, but you aren't getting that today.

Economists will say anything, but that simply isnt the reality on the ground.

There was a time when someone making 6 figures could afford a house and models and bottles in big cities. You aren't getting that anymore.

The CPI on things are skewed. Food and everyday items are still running rampant as far as prices. 

They cater to those numbers by controlling energy and oil prices. Makes things look a lot better. 

Also America is a poison on the world as far as "woke" issues. I can't believe we've gotten to a point where we can't say men are men and women are women. Its spreading all over the world. The quicker they stop pandering to 0.1% of people who yell the loudest about things that don't matter, the better.

7 hours ago, Sir Mikel OBE said:

Its silly, but its the reality. The person in charge carries the brunt of people not feeling happy. People still call Carter the worst president ever, and Reagan a saint, when Carter is 20x the president(and man) Reagan was because the economy was so shit during his time.

It took over 40 bucks to fill up a Honda Civic down here in Georgia today. Its not Biden's fault, but folks are going to blame the man at the top for this.

I dont buy his looks being a problem either. Reagan was literally old forgetful and loved.

I don't either, but I also think that's the reality, as you put it.

For me, a slightly senile Biden would be far less dangerous than a moron who thinks he knows everything because he got some money from daddy. The "drinking bleach" press conf showed everyone who he truly is: he rather surround himself with yes-man than experts who may disagree with him.

3 hours ago, Thor said:

The CPI on things are skewed. Food and everyday items are still running rampant as far as prices. 

They cater to those numbers by controlling energy and oil prices. Makes things look a lot better. 

Also America is a poison on the world as far as "woke" issues. I can't believe we've gotten to a point where we can't say men are men and women are women. Its spreading all over the world. The quicker they stop pandering to 0.1% of people who yell the loudest about things that don't matter, the better.

I completely agree with the "woke" part and would suggest not using that word at all; it's triggering and gets in the way of actual arguments.

Economy is never good - by definition.
Sometimes it gets worse but it's never good.
Remember the Charlie Chaplin speech about the economy, the one they considered pro-communist and deported him ?
Well, that period is now called "the golden period of the US economy".
This is because everytime, somebody has a grudge and believes things can get better.
Then the political opposition always takes advantage. The politicians job and that of their trolls is to make 20-30 statements a day. If it was me I would say "why all those superfluous statements ?" but it is how politics work.
Trump and his cronies in particular blame foreigners for everything, even the allies. But this buys votes, it's tested.