Options in our attack ?

Badboy

No, overrating is when you claim John Terry is still the best defender in the world.

So Terry's the only leader at Chelsea? The only one who can organize? What will happen to Chelsea when he turns 60 and retires?

No, but for now he is our leader in the defensive line and, as last season showed, apparently the only one who can organize our defense because last season our defense was crap without him. I was indeed overrating him by calling him the best defender in the world. But he is still topclass. Pique isn't a better defender, Vidic is worse, Vermaelen is better when he plays, which he hasn't done much in the EPL.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, but for now he is our leader in the defensive line and, as last season showed, apparently the only one who can organize our defense because last season our defense was crap without him. I was indeed overrating him by calling him the best defender in the world. But he is still topclass. Pique isn't a better defender, Vidic is worse, Vermaelen is better when he plays, which he hasn't done much in the EPL.

I think Luiz can be a defensive leader.

I've seen him do it on the pitch anyway, especially vs Valencia last week in the CL. He really pushed the line forward and kept the team going at 1-1.

I think Luiz can be a defensive leader.

I've seen him do it on the pitch anyway, especially vs Valencia last week in the CL. He really pushed the line forward and kept the team going at 1-1.

Luiz is a great defender and in the future he could be our leader yes, but for that to happen he needs to learn English. He is learning that right now and improves his English every week. So in the future he could definitely be our leader but somebody stated he would pair Luiz up with Pique if possible which I wouldn't do at this time, maybe over a couple of years.

I don't think we have to buy a defender, our Academy is filled with great defensive talents.

Luiz is a great defender and in the future he could be our leader yes, but for that to happen he needs to learn English. He is learning that right now and improves his English every week. So in the future he could definitely be our leader but somebody stated he would pair Luiz up with Pique if possible which I wouldn't do at this time, maybe over a couple of years.

I don't think we have to buy a defender, our Academy is filled with great defensive talents.

Problem with aiming for someone like Pique is, he's Barcelona. They have no reason to leave.

In regards to Academy. The most likely CB to come through will be Chalobah, but his time isn't for another 4-5years. Is the gap too big before we see repercussions in Terry's game?

Problem with aiming for someone like Pique is, he's Barcelona. They have no reason to leave.

In regards to Academy. The most likely CB to come through will be Chalobah, but his time isn't for another 4-5years. Is the gap too big before we see repercussions in Terry's game?

I think Ivan is a more likely future Captain than luiz he has the leadership quality's. but who knows who will come in before Terry retires.

I brought up Pique as a hypothetical. Of course he's not leaving Barca any time soon. But the point was that a poster said John Terry is still the best defender in the world. I disagree with that and brought up Pique as an example of a CB I would play in place of Terry. In other words, there are now better CBs.

This is not to slight Terry but does bring up the question of when to give others a chance to step up. I think Terry should still play the majority of the games for now. But I think it's a legit question of whether or not Chelsea should seriously consider bringing in a CB in January or next summer.

I used to think the same, but I now believe its more down to the fact that our CB's spend more time playing with JT than they do with each other.

There's no doubt that JT takes responsibility and offers thrust from the back, but in recent times Luiz and Ivanovic have also been displaying such qualities.This is a good thing, as we will have to cope during a situation where JT is absent from the game.

Well we also have Bruma en Kalas. I'm not so sure about Bruma but Kalas has been very impressive at Vitesse in his first games. He played every game the full 90 minutes. Good footballer en great defender. Luiz is 24 and we have Ivanovic. I think it would block the development of Bruma, Kalas en Chalobah if we buy a defender now.

No, overrating is when you claim John Terry is still the best defender in the world.

So Terry's the only leader at Chelsea? The only one who can organize? What will happen to Chelsea when he turns 60 and retires?

Defensively, yes. Take him out of the backline and the discipline and organisation is gone. Alex and Luiz can barely speak the language, Ivanovic is too quiet. Same for Cech. Terry marshals the team.

No it is not, its called forward thinking. Just look at what happened the last time we won the league by 1 point with a Drogba offside goal. That premier league season completely masked the fact that we have a lot of liabilities at this club and if it was not for the absolute amazing mind blowing seasons Malouda, Drogba, and Lampard had in an attacking sense those frailties would of been exposed.

No it is not, its called forward thinking. Just look at what happened the last time we won the league by 1 point with a Drogba offside goal. That premier league season completely masked the fact that we have a lot of liabilities at this club and if it was not for the absolute amazing mind blowing seasons Malouda, Drogba, and Lampard had in an attacking sense those frailties would of been exposed.

You sound like the hard done by deluded Utd fans who couldn't accept we deserved to win the league that season! Don't remember the Macheda hand ball then NO?! Since when has winning the league been termed as masking any teams deficiencies? Ask any Liverpool or Arsenal fan if they had the same problem but were going to win the league they would snap your hands off. I can't believe anybody can find a fault with winning the league ffs, that unequivocally was not the problem, the board deciding to get rid of 2 great players in Ballack & Carvalho & not strengthening the squad at that time was - without question.

I think we need to invest in another winger that can operate on either flank & perhaps a RB & I do agree that MacEachran should be given more game time but we are on the right road. Sturridge & Mata are fantastic additions to the team with Meireles not far behind.

If you can pick holes in out squad then you could make the same argument for Utd & City? Utd should of been beaten by Basle at home & by us, City got outplayed by Munich, were as we lost 1 game that we should of won against Utd, should of thumped Valencia so I'm reasonably happy with our start & squad/attack.

Couple of additions yes, wholesale changes absolutely not.

You sound like the hard done by deluded Utd fans who couldn't accept we deserved to win the league that season! Don't remember the Macheda hand ball then NO?! Since when has winning the league been termed as masking any teams deficiencies? Ask any Liverpool or Arsenal fan if they had the same problem but were going to win the league they would snap your hands off. I can't believe anybody can find a fault with winning the league ffs, that unequivocally was not the problem, the board deciding to get rid of 2 great players in Ballack & Carvalho & not strengthening the squad at that time was - without question.

I think we need to invest in another winger that can operate on either flank & perhaps a RB & I do agree that MacEachran should be given more game time but we are on the right road. Sturridge & Mata are fantastic additions to the team with Meireles not far behind.

If you can pick holes in out squad then you could make the same argument for Utd & City? Utd should of been beaten by Basle at home & by us, City got outplayed by Munich, were as we lost 1 game that we should of won against Utd, should of thumped Valencia so I'm reasonably happy with our start & squad/attack.

Couple of additions yes, wholesale changes absolutely not.

Have to agree with this. I think the young signings we made in the summer have been good aditions. I think we are a right wingers and a playmaker away from mounting a serious title challenge.